Pre-pregnancy Signs

Mystiqview

I was talking to some friends and other breeder friends recently and we were comparing the "wives Tales" etc for determining whether your bitch is pregnant. Now I am curious to hear other's thoughts.

The idea of this topic is a little bit of fun and curiosity. If you want to come in here and get on your soap box about why breed etc. Then leave now. Not interested in starting a fight or anything else.

Here are mine.....

"Morning Sickness" around 2 weeks after mating

White rings around the bottom of the nipple around the same time.

The fanny stays slightly enlarged

Temperament change (if it is possible, she is even more sooky than ever!!)

It is now 27 days since the last mating.

Veins showing across the lower part of her belly around near the set of nipples towards the rear legs

Nipples are pink at the tips, and you can see the circle of dots on the tip..

Last few days off her food

Stand her up on her back legs, and if the rear two nipples point sideways it's a yes :)

Fanny sightly moist has always been a better sign for me than staying enlarged as with mine some take ages to go back to their normal size.

Stand her up on her back legs, and if the rear two nipples point sideways it's a yes :)

Fanny sightly moist has always been a better sign for me than staying enlarged as with mine some take ages to go back to their normal size.

That's a funny one.

Eats like a horse when is usually a dainty lady like eater. I am talking a hoover here and breathes her food in seconds and then looks for more. This was from 2 weeks.

When outside, Willow also would not let anyone in the 'family' dog kennel from 3 weeks. She would stand at the entrance and not let them in.

well it would seem I won't be getting an ultrasound done this time..

My vet decided to go on holidays, and by the time she will be back, I will definitely know if she is pregnant or not.. URRRRRGGGGH

The last few days, she has been more off her food than on it.

Her coat has a really lovely shine to it.

My vet decided to go on holidays, and by the time she will be back, I will definitely know if she is pregnant or not.. URRRRRGGGGH

I would still ultrasound even late in the pregnancy to check size and approx numbers. Always good to know if you have one huge puppy or several normal ones. I have seen some pretty convincing phantoms too with most of the signs mentioned even going into pre-labour and one that looked like she was having a huge litter and only had one normal sized puppy.

I know Dancin BC's. I normally do ultrasound around 35 days. She has not had a problem in the past whelping. So fingers crossed there. I will ultrasound her when the vet comes back from holidays in two weeks time. The other vet there that does it, is a nut job and will not ever patronise his services again.

• 3 weeks later...

I would still ultrasound even late in the pregnancy to check size and approx numbers. Always good to know if you have one huge puppy or several normal ones. I have seen some pretty convincing phantoms too with most of the signs mentioned even going into pre-labour and one that looked like she was having a huge litter and only had one normal sized puppy.

I agree, when my girl was given an ultrasound and a singleton was diagnosed, she was later given another ultrasound (on the day she was prog tested and actually delivered) and it was nice to know that I was still only expecting the one pup. Even so, we stay close by after pup was born, but you could tell she'd finished. :)

I know of someone that was told at least 5 - she had 14.

My bitch had phantoms every season up til she was mated, so while watching for signs, nothing was really different to normal, except one day when she was in a room with me and one of my other dogs tried to enter. She turned around and gave him the biggest telling off!