Ivermectin

I know of people using ivermetin liquid you get for sheep for their dogs. Its much more economical and Im considering using it. Does it treat intestinal worms aswell as heartworm? Can anyone offer me some info, does anyone here use it for their own dogs and Does anyone have the correct dosage amounts? I have a friend who has offered me some but Ive been a bit unsure if its all ok to use. I currently use valuheart for heartworm at the moment and that contains just ivermectin so it should be ok. Hope it does intestinal worms aswell.

It does intestinal worms in sheep, cows and chooks so I'm guessing it also does in dogs. No idea of heartworm. To get a dosage you need to look at the dose rate for dogs and for the sheep one and just convert it. I only have pour-on so can't do it for you. But do make sure you use por-on for poring-on and drench for down the throat. The chemical is the same but the stuff used to hold the chemical is different.

A lot of rural people use Ivermectin for their dogs.

Be aware though is that it is strictly off label use and if you have any problems you will get no back up from the manufacturer. You may find a sympathetic Vet to help with dose rates but more likely not.

Personally I think it is irresponsible to put up dose rates for off label use on a public forum.

you need to speak to a veterinarian they're the only ones who can prescribe it for off label use. It is used for demodex at times and worming animals but it's the other chemicals and way its administered that can also cause problems for your dogs.

Just found this on http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/toxicity/c_dg_ivermectin_toxicity . Doesn't look like something to do on a whim or to save a few bucks.

Parasite Drug (Ivermectin) Poisoning in Dogs

More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on printPrint

Ivermectin Toxicity in Dogs

This toxic reaction occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin, an anti-parasite medication most commonly used for heartworm prevention, or to treat ear and hair mites, which can lead to mange. Ivermectin prevents or kills parasites by causing neurological damage to the parasite, resulting in paralysis and death for the parasite. But dogs genetically sensitive to the medication have an anomaly that allows the ivermectin to pass the dog's blood-brain barrier and into its central nervous system, which can be lethal for the animal.

While the sensitivity to this type of medication is not always guaranteed, the following breeds are most likely to be affected:

•Old English Sheepdog

•English Sheepdog

•Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie)

•Australian Shepherd

•German Shepherd

•Long-haired Whippet

•Silken Windhound

•Skye Terrier

•Collie

It is also seen in mixed-breed dogs, older dogs that have experienced a blow to the head, puppies, and dogs that have overdosed on similar types of drugs. Treating dogs that are susceptible to ivermectin toxicity with parasitic medication should be only be done under a veterinarian's supervision and with great caution.

Symptoms

Symptoms for the dog may be acute or mild. Acute signs will become apparent within 4 to 12 hours of the drug's administration. In mild cases, symptoms will occur between 48 to 96 hours after your dog has been treated. Such symptoms include:

•Lethargy

•Depression

•Drooling

•Vomiting

•Dilation of the pupil

•Loss of appetite (anorexia)

•Difficulty controlling voluntary movement

•Disorientation

•Tremors/Seizures

•Inability to stand

•Blindness

•Slow heartbeat

•Respiratory distress

•Coma

I've just been treating a very sickly dog with Ivomectin as he had Demodectic Mange on his list of problems. My vet couldn't stress enough how I had to be very careful and measure out to the ml. He had to build up to the strength required over 10 days (in his food).

Whilst he was on the Ivomectin, he couldn't be given all sorts of other things.

It's not something I'd be using lightly unless I had been given precise instructions.

I use ivermectin to heart worm my Italian Greyhounds and Whippets.

If used at the dose rate of 1ml per 16kg it does all worms.

This does rate is the one the vets recommended.

I would not recommend it for any group 5 dogs unless a sensitivity test to the drug was done first.

Ivomec at a dose rate of 200 mcg per kg of bodyweight is effective against hookworm, roundworm and whipworm. Given once a month it will also prevent heartworm.

It can be used from 12 weeks of age.

If you give it at a reduced rate than stated, it is more likely to cause parasite resistance over a period of time.

Ivomec does NOT treat tapeworm.

If using the oral liquid Ivomec (0.8 gm/litre strength), the monthly dose rate is 1 ml per 4 kg body weight.

Ivomec has a shelf life of 2 years from date of manufacture and should be stored in a cool spot and out of the light (a cupboard)

DON'T vary the dose of Ivomec

DON'T use any other wormers at the same time (you don't need them)

DON'T give it to Long Coated Collies, Shelties or Border Collies

This is an abbreviated post,taken from a greyhound Journal by Dr Graham Beh (Qld)

and one should never give or take off label advice for their animals over the internet.

The greyhound people use garden pesticides on their dogs for fleas to save money, doesnt mean it's the smart thing to do in the long run.

Just wondering if anyone with oral and pour on have the packets to compare what is actually in them? Like someone else posted I would be more worried about what else is in them rather than just the does rate of Ivermectin.

Ie we can take panadol, dogs can take a relatively smaller dose and cats die if they have any panadol at all. You might get the dose of ivermectin right but unless you look at all the ingredients and check on how lethal they are to dogs you might still hurt your dog. Also if you are not good at working out concentration rates etc then its really not a road I would go down.

I tend to just buy double the dose weight and halve the tablets for my dogs. Still a little cheaper but I don't have to do any calculations!!

Edited by Jumabaar

Can it be used? Sure.

Should it be used with out advice from a Vet? No. Especialy as all ready stated it's off label use.

It's very potent stuff, and the are plenty of other more suitable options out there.

IMO the cost saving doesn't outweight the risks.

I use ivermectin to heart worm my Italian Greyhounds and Whippets.

If used at the dose rate of 1ml per 16kg it does all worms.

This does rate is the one the vets recommended.

I would not recommend it for any group 5 dogs unless a sensitivity test to the drug was done first.

I purchase mine from the vet.

Panacur can be used on dogs. If this is the stuff you are talking about.

There are dose rates on the back.

You dose for three consecutive days. Can't remember now if once/day or twice. You will need to read the label.

Horrible horrible messy stuff. You need to put more in the syringe for the "spit out factor"

Just also be careful about what other products you are using on your dog as it can react with other medications, or you can overdose if other products also contain Ivemectin.

Best talk to a vet.

and one should never give or take off label advice for their animals over the internet.

The greyhound people use garden pesticides on their dogs for fleas to save money, doesnt mean it's the smart thing to do in the long run.

I can remember when ivermectin first came out that there were write ups in horse magazines about quite a few dogs dying from ivermectin poisoning. I can't remember the details but I think it was from licking up spilled paste used to worm horses. At first the manufacturers denied it but eventually there were enough deaths to prove it. I would never use it for my dogs and take great care when worming my horses not to let my dogs get near any of the paste. Is it really worth risking your dogs lives just to save a few dollars??