Back-up Plans For Your Dogs

westiemum

The thread 'What to do with the dogs'? made me wonder... what plans/arrangements do you have in place in case something ghastly happens and your dogs are left homeless or potentially homeless? :(

I've officially appointed 'god-parents' for my three westies through my will - if anything happens to me they go to them for rehoming or for keeps - whatever they decide. I trust them completely to look after my guys best interests - whatever that might be at the time.

Other ideas or thoughts?

Edited by westiemum

Mine will be euth'd here at home.

That is what I had planned for Kenny, but unfortunately he went first. :cry:

A friend of mine adopted her friends dog after she passed away. The little sweetie has a heart problem & needs daily medication, which the family of the deceased owner pay for. She is very happy with her new home, but probably because she was only 3 when her owner died.

For years now I hv had provision in my will for the animals to go to the RSPCA legacy program. When I first thought of this there was nothing else. (if elderly to be pts).

Recently my breed club has initiated a rehome assistance program and I am considering that in conjunction with MDBA.

*sigh*

Meea

Edited by Meea

My mother or brother would take Buster, she would take Quinn aswell but I think atleast atm Quinn is a bit more dog than she would ideally want to handle so I've told her if she wanted to rehome her to a good sport/pet home I wouldn't mind. That being said - she's well in love with her and don't think she could give her up.

Hubby will take over, but I have told him that if he can't handle it they are to be put to sleep, not rehomed for any reason. Pixie will be fine of course, it's Obi I worry about, as he's quite high maintenance.

Guest Willow

Hubby will take over, but I have told him that if he can't handle it they are to be put to sleep, not rehomed for any reason.

This.

Some of mine will go back to their breeders. A couple will stay with my OH.

I have been written into a couple of people's wills, saying that the dogs will be left to me and that I am to keep or rehome them as I see fit, depending on what I feel is best for the dogs. They have the peace of mind that if they did die, the dogs would be desexed if necessay and placed in suitable homes.

My OH will take good care of them, if we both died our son gets the house and will also get the dogs, if he doesn't look after them in the manner they are accustomed to I will come back and make his life one hell of a misery.

just sayin'

a good friend of mine will take them, the dogs absolutely adore her and will be happy. I thought about my griffon going back to the breeder but she wouldn't let that - adores the little fellow too much.

if the breeder cannot take them himself they will be PTS. I dont know anyone else that can handle this many working Malis and my older bitch wont be a well girl if I go first.

by this I mean if I die ... if I'm just sick for a while OH can deal with it :laugh: I've had a bad back and barely been able to walk at some times since October last year, we managed fine. I can still sit on the back step and throw a ball.

Edited by Nekhbet

Couple of years ago I had a drama in my life and until then I was pretty confident that my dogs would be O.K. as Ive got 8 kids - wrong.

During this rough spot they decided they would "help" me and felt living where I di that I should sell up and move closer to them.

So I said but what of my dogs? I couldnt take working Maremma into a town situation and my beagles would hate small spaces etc.

"well come on Mum - seriously you simply either have to bump them off or find new homes for them"

This absolutely blew me out - these brats have grown up with me and if anyone in the world should know what these animals mean to me and how much they are a part of my life they should.

So as Im such a nice lady and wonderful Mum wink.gif I nicely explained that the majority of my life to now has been about making my environment perfect for dogs and people to live in harmony and not having these animals in my life was not something Im interested in contemplating. "Well clearly Mum you are not thinking straight - you would be better off in town.

I told them what I thought of that idea but it sure did made me start to think about planning for if ever I was flattened and couldnt yell about what others felt was "good" for me

We then had Bridgett who had a heart attack and while she was flat out and almost dead her "friends" decided it was best for her if they got rid of her dogs for her before she came home as she would be too ill to look after her two GSD .I went in with boots on and said no way - even the church was pushing like mad for this to happen and the poor local priest was seen to quickly cross the street when he saw me coming .I won but only because I was in her will and had living power of attorney - I actually had guardianship and custody of her grandchildren who she lives with while she was i hospital - so her two dogs were there waiting for her when she got home but I had to fight to get them to back off.

Bugger me she had a second episode and they moved in again so I had to really fight to get them to back off.

Then an elderly lady who was in hospital with a broken leg - we got a call from her neighbour wanting us to simply pick the dog up and take it to the pound! they were convinced she could look after it with a broken leg. Her son came home for the first time in 3 years and also wanted the dog to go .When we spoke with the lady she went nuts about them wanting to get rid of her dog - it had been her only constant companion for 2 and half years.

So we had to work and negotiate with her son to get him to give in and not dump the dog before his Mum came home from hospital.

We paid for boarding and training and had someone in walking the dog daily while Mum was healing.

then of course Gary who was run over and his friends wanted the dog sent to the pound because they believed he would never be well enough to look after the dog.

that dog was fostered and went to visit him in hospital and after 10 months after sleep overs etc the dog went back home with him.

the moral to my stories is don't assume anything people who love you and who don't necessarily understand your bond with your dogs are capable of making decisions which are not real bright under the heading of what is best for you.

Ive put things in place with Pacers to supervise and make sure it happens if I drop dead or become ill etc because I don't trust anyone to do what I want when Im not around to yell at them .Experience tells me people can promise to do something in good faith today but if their lives change my dogs wont be their priority.

husband would look after our dog if anything happened to me and vice versa, but if we both died, i would state that she be PTS as family already have enough dogs of their own to look after, and I couldn't bear the thought of a stranger taking her and ill treating her.

Hubby first, now that he is getting into dog training and sport's im confident they will be right

If something happened to both of us, Ronnie would go back to her breeder. Diesel is my problem, he would need to go to an eperianced dog owner or be PTS and burried with us.