Help Me With A Question

kja

Commenting on photos  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you choose to comment on a photo?

• I know/like the person posting the photo
    • I like the subject
    • I like the photo itself - think it's well done
    • Not many have commented and I feel bad for the OP
    • I have a similar photo/subject/story/experience that I want to share
  2. 2. Why do you choose NOT to comment on a photo

• I like looking but don't want to take the time
    • I don't really care about the photos, was just curious about the thread
    • I don't feel I have anything worthwhile to say
    • I look at the photos but usually don't think they are worth me commenting
    • I don't really like the person who posted the photos

It's usually a time thing with me too, but on the whole I think the responses on here are pretty good. Can we ask what the other forum is,  always interested in other photo forums :)

I know a lot of people don't want criticism or would take it very hard but to all of you, please, please don't hesitate to be critical of my photos. I seriously will not take offence and I actually appreciate it when people tell me what they don't like or what doesn't work for them. 

Snook and Huga (and anyone else), please feel free to critique my pics! I'm here to learn, and there are so many far more experienced (and talented) photographers here. Any feedback, good or bad, is very much appreciated  :) 

Maybe we should start a C&C thread in the tips and techniques section, as I too would really appreciate some honest critique on some of my photos :)

I do really wish I'd started the photo challenge this year (and every other year!) 

Never too late to jump in kritta :D

I think a dedicated C&C area or at least adding C&C to the thread title is a great idea for those who want it.

My goal with this enquiry is aimed more towards those who just want to share - they may or may not want to do more with their photography, they may just be sharing something that is just pleasure instead of "art" or any other reason. They are sharing and want people to appreciate that fact, in addition to any appreciation of the photo itself.

@huga - I don't think it's second nature. I think it's something we learn and possibly crave as we are evolving our own styles, our own skills, our own eye and our own approach to photography. We project our needs onto other people's images. Sometimes to genuinely help, for sure. But other times we know that the poster doesn't truly even want help - they just want to share. Yet we feel this impulse to "help" or "advise". We might not do it physically, but we are thinking it as we view the images!

Those who simply enjoy an image as it is presented don't feel this need.

People who ASK obviously are in a totally different category than the general sharers I am talking about.

I still do it in my head on images that have been put forth as wanting critique or from those that I know are looking for input or on those images that intrigue me, but now I do it for myself - to improve, to think outside of how I usually approach things. I've come to see that just like taking photos, seeing photos is an evolution, too. When these thoughts come to me on photos that clearly are not suited to them, I let them flit across and then out and simply come peacefully to the image.

It's how I can say truthfully that I do find the joy in terrible baby/puppy/vacation photos even though they hurt me :rofl::D

Edited by kja

I must admit that I really haven't looked at the 52 week threads or the like... it's a bit of visual overload for me... errr!

I do love the threads with photos that capture a moment - or lots of moments - even if the photos aren't technically great.

With my own photos, I like sharing those that have excited me for whatever reason. I am still very much a learner, and am open to any and all constructive criticism - in fact, I loved the advice from Tess in the Zoo photo thread, that was awesome!

I also like watching the progress of various people with their photography... for example, k9angel's stuff as she is exploring her new DSLR is inspiring - I think she really has an eye for good composition, and her photos appeal to my taste.

I will also look at anything by kja or Kirislin - their subject matter appeals to me, and they take simply amazing photos... *grin*

T.

Thanks so much, Guys - knew DOLers would be awesome!

I think that the 65% who answered "I don't feel I have anything to say" was very telling and will be what we concentrate on - trying to get members to understand that you don't have to be a photo whiz to offer valuable comments and trying to get people to understand that most images are shared for the joy of sharing, not for technical prowess. Just hearing that someone enjoyed a shot is extremely valuable :thumbsup:

Keep comments coming, too.

If people really do want critique on an image (just saying offer ideas to a whole set is sometimes a little too much for people to respond to), perhaps we can start a revolution of adding C&C to thread titles or with the photo in question. From my experience, choosing one image and asking for C&C helps the learning curve far more than anything else - it not only allows your audience to really focus so they can give clear help but it helps you figure out what you do and don't like about your images and become more discriminating.

choosing one image and asking for C&C helps the learning curve far more than anything else - it not only allows your audience to really focus so they can give clear help but it helps you figure out what you do and don't like about your images and become more discriminating.

yes :)

it also helps the photographer learn what is interesting/memorable to those viewing their photos :)

Guest Tess32

I think it's probably a time constraint for most people. We are all choosey about what threads we read and respond in, and so when it comes to a photo forum on here, I just read the ones I know will interest me, which are threads by people who are good at photography, or those who are learning to be and you can watch them grow. Total snapshots by dol'ers I don't really know, don't really interest me.

I would much prefer a 'like button' (Please bring it back Troy!) because I often feel that yet another 'lovely' or 'cute' is a bit redundant, and like many others I wouldn't know a bad pic from a good pic (as those who have seen my pics will attest! :laugh: ) so I'm not going to critique.

I'd like the option of being able to let the photographer know that I like their pic without having to think of something new and interesting to say about it, I know 99.999% of the population probably couldn't care less if I post 'great!' on everything but I just don't see the point of cluttering a thread with a post that says the same thing that everyone else has said, if you have a like button you can let them know :) If I view 5 threads and post 'great' every time it's going to do my head in :o

As for critiques personally I'm happy to take any comments and critiques, I would like to improve but mostly I just like sharing my animals because I think they are beautiful :D When I take pics at horse events I like to share because I know plenty of people like horses and like to see them doing their thing :)

"Good" or "bad" is in the eye of the beholder IMHO - just like with all other genres of art... some people like surrealism, and others like renaissance, etc...

... and even a "snapshot" can capture a moment that transcends the technical "quality" of the photo itself.

Then again, the most technically "perfect" shots can also be lacking in that "something" that makes them "great" too...

But when it all comes together in that fraction of a second when you push that button... oh man!! That is what each and all of us are aiming for, right?

T.

I know I love to hear that people actually enjoyed - for whatever reason - seeing a photo I've taken. I don't need smoke blown up my skirt or criticism on what I could have done better unless I've stated it specifically in the post. I just appreciate the acknowledgment that I took the time to share something I thought was pretty/interesting/intriguing/fun/funny etc. and I'm hearing that this is what most people want, too.

This is pretty much my take on it too.

I've been posting in the 52weeks of photos thread this year - the first time I've posted in photos (as far as I can remember) - as the high quality of images in the photos forum can be a bit intimidating.

I try to comment most weeks but sometimes don't find the time to spend actually looking properly at the pics and comment - the sense of community and a few comments on my own pics is quite important to me. I like the fact that the thread generally sticks to some quick comments and the pictures themselves.

I'm still working towards asking for actual C&C :-)

I really enjoy looking at the wide subject range & varying photo styles on DOL it makes me want to try harder, learn so much more. I think photography appeals on so many levels, it can be stylish, artful or a snapshot of someones life/memory they wish to convey or keep safe.

I love watching how DOLers experiment and get out of their comfort zones. I do miss however an active monthly challenge, I know this has been resurrected twice now and I wonder why it doesnt generate more interest. I think it helped me think of the elements that make up a photo.

I do follow most of the photo threads, but I must admit I am challenged to comment on all that I want to time wise. Im a kinda all or nothing person, so if I cant comment on all: I tend to hold back a bit.