Would You Sell A Pup To A Fifo Worker?

Cheyd

:rofl: pot, kettle...black!

Some people have balls to de-rail threads and use judgements against people they know nothing about, except the "research" they have read. Several people in a FIFO situation have replied, but you have chosen to ignore them, because their comments are logical and don't back your stupid judgements.

So what about people who want to buy a dog, then seperate and the dog spends one week with each partner? How is that any different to spending time at a kennel? At least in a decent kennel you know the dog will be well cared for. In someone's home you have no idea what happens.

There are many bad situations a dog can end up in, some through unfortunate circumstances. FIFO is a deliberate choice, one that puts work above being around to properly raise a pup.

The thread has only been derailed by people like you who have no clue when it comes to determining if a home is going to suit a dog, but like to make smart comments about other people posting here.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Willow

GM....it was yourself who brought up the "point" that FIFO workers have no regard for family or community (which has nothing to do with having a dog or not)....others have simply responded to it.

So let me get this right: according to various posts, FIFO workers are out, military people are out, people who work long hours are out, single people are out, and anyone we just don't like is out.

If we keep adding to the list of people never to have a purebred, there'll finally be enough pedigree dogs to go around.

No one said this - the FIFO worker in the post is single and will kennel the pup50% of the timep

Then you haven't read the posts where it's stated FIFO workers wouldn't get a pup (Greytmate's posts, for example) nor any other thread on the same type of topic.

Megan interpreted my post correctly.

FIFO workers wouldn't get a pup, I didn't say anything about not supplying a pup to anyone else in their household. :confused:

Is there a purpose to you being here other than to make snide comments and attempt to twist the meaning of what other people have said?

Pot kettle black.

But now I'm confused. You wouldn't sell a pup to a FIFO worker but you would to someone else in the household. Really? :laugh:

I think, like many hot topics, this is going astray because of some conflation of identity (FIFO worker) vs behaviour (how they deal with the situation).

For example, I agree with HW that toilet training would be a major issue for me with a pup alternating 1 week in a home and 1 week in a kennel. However, if the pup goes off to stay with mum, or in another home situation, then I'd not have a problem with it. My mother has never used kennels for her dogs, because my sister and uncle always look after them for her. She's not a FIFO worker, but a lot of people rely on friends and relatives, not kennels.

In the OP's case tho', if kennels are what she is planning I would not sell a pup, not because she is a FIFO worker, but because her plan for her absences isn't good enough for a pup.

As a breeder I want the best possible homes for my pups. Part time homes just don't cut it. If there was someone else at home, and the dog could stay at home ... fine. Single person, fifo, no.

Boarding kennel doesn't cut it with me as a part time home. For a whole lot of reasons.

I think it is selfish and inconsiderate for this person to even be considering buying a pup - and particularly not disclosing to the breeder.

Getting back to the OP's original question, which should be the whole point of this thread, then let me summarise again. A part time home, where a young puppy spends a large proportion of its time in a kennel, is not good for a pup during its important developmental and growth stages in particular for a whole range of reasons including beahvioural, training and health reasons. For those reasons I would not sell to ANY home that could not provide some kind of stability. A lot will therefore depend on the nature and makeup of the persons support network for the times they do go away. A person who plans for whatever reason to leave a young pup in kennels for a large proportion of its upbringing and to swap and change it from week to week from a boarding kennel environment to the home would therefore not be considered by me as a suitable home for a young pup, particularly during these important developmental stages. This does not mean an automatic no to anyone with a particular job that takes them away - it depends very much on their family situation and support network and how the pup would be managed during their absences.

As an added issue, to not tell the breeder that this was going to be the case is not good at all and IMO reduces the homes suitability even further. A relationship based on untruths is never a good one.

Edited by espinay2

What about people in the military? They often have longer and more unpredictable absences. Are they also on the "no sell" list?

If they are single and unable to provide a stable environment for a pup, Hell yes. Frankly I'm a bit amazed a genuine dog lover would expect to put a pup through it.

And I'm ex-military. This isn't about the job to me but the capacity to provide an appropriate home environment for a pup.

I sold a puppy to a lovely family with both parents are in the RAAF, they have two little girls and I get baby albums sent to me of the puppy growing up and forwarding addresses when they move interstate. They have a lovely home and are terrific people who sing the praises of their clever little girl (the dog) in letters they send me. :)

I think I would be honest about it, I mean there are also some kennels out there who are fantastic and some who are not. Admittedly settling a puppy into this routine could be hard, but it does have a companion as a "constant" stability.

I don't think a FIFO worker having a dog is any worse than someone who has a dog and sticks them in doggie daycare all day every day from 9-5. At least when a FIFO worker is Home, they are home... not going to work all over again.

Hard decision, but I think honesty would be more appreciated.

Well said :thumbsup:

It's a hard one and I think for me it would have to be on a individual basis - is some who's a FIFO worker (usually financially stable) worse than someone who's unemployed and less likely to be able to afford vet emergency situation i.e. cancer treatment when the dog's older? On the flip side the umemployed person is more liekly to be there for the dog 24/7 whereas the FIFO will be away more often.

Lets get it straight folks - it is NOT about the job a person does - it is about the stability and type of care the person can offer to a PUPPY in the formative stages of its life!

Yes, the job will have a bearing on this (or rather the requirements of their job as it affects the home life of the pup) but this is combined with other factors including family/home life status, living arrangements and what they have arranged for the pup when they are not there. IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT THE TYPE OF JOB THE PERSON DOES - that is only ONE consideration (and was ony one of the considerations listed by the OP).

Yes, some FIFO workers can be good homes and yes, some military can be good homes, but it depends on OTHER FACTORS not just their job, just like some retail workers, or stay at home mums or public servants working 9-5 may or may not be good homes based on a range of factors. For sure knowing what the job is can lead to other questions being asked, but still only one of many things to be taken into account.

So lets forget about the job and talk about the welfare of the pup. After all, it is the pup that should come first in any consideration (and as a breeder that is certainly my first priority). So is there ANYONE here who thinks that putting a pup (from 8 or 9 weeks of age) into a boarding kennel for a week every second week is going to be a good environment for the young puppy?

Edited by espinay2

is it possible she could leave the dog in her own home during the time away at work rather than a kennel? What about getting a trustworthy, dog loving housemate?

She should do this. And be honest with the breeder.

/problem

I have a friend who is looking for another dog, she is currently a FIFO worker at the mines. The SWF she has at the moment is spending her time at kennels while my friend is working and she does have a long term arrangement with the kennels to look after her dog.

My friend is talking to a breeder about a pup and hasnt told her that she is a FIFO worker - would it make a difference if she did?

I dont like her lying to the breeder and I know if it was me - I wouldnt be happy about it if I found out but I am curious to see if I hold the same opinion as other in regards to this

FIFO - fly in, fly out workers

I think if your friend has already chosen to withhold the information regarding her job she already knows that she doesn't offer the ideal/appropriate living situation for the pup- but has decided to get one anyway....... Kinda selfish if this is the case- to both the pup and breeder.

I wouldn't sell to someone who was going to continually board the pup at kennels regardless of their job.

Edited by Jumabaar

I haven't read all of the posts, but I have a friend involved in rescue of weims and we have had several surrenders where the dog had similar behavioural issues. These were dogs that lived in homes with FIFO workers, but also had family at home.

I think it does depend on how the dogs are treated and the experience of the owner, but I don't think I'd put a weim in a home with a FIFO - I don't think they cope well. I would consider it with an older, well adapted English Setter, though, as I think they are good at coping with change generally and are a lot more laid back about things.

OK what about firefighters? They seem to have a similar shift to the FIFO worker and really no onde knows what is ahppening at the kennel perhaps as a regular the dog may spend time with the owners not just in a run all the time (many years ago our family dog would occassionally go into kennels that were run by the owners on their property and they would bring regulars inside to the home environment when possible). This dog would also not be alone but have the first dog as a companion to also learn from.

Reckon it also depends on the dog ours is far happier to stay inside on her own during the day than she'd ever be at some kind of 'doggy daycare' place.

OK what about firefighters? They seem to have a similar shift to the FIFO worker and really no onde knows what is ahppening at the kennel perhaps as a regular the dog may spend time with the owners not just in a run all the time (many years ago our family dog would occassionally go into kennels that were run by the owners on their property and they would bring regulars inside to the home environment when possible). This dog would also not be alone but have the first dog as a companion to also learn from.

who cares what job it is, no way would I sell a pup to someone who intended putting it in a kennel every 2nd week and I wouldn't care how good the kennel was. I wouldn't sell them an adult either.

who cares what job it is, no way would I sell a pup to someone who intended putting it in a kennel every 2nd week and I wouldn't care how good the kennel was. I wouldn't sell them an adult either.

Precisely, it's not about the hours people work and how long the dog is alone. In an ideal world every dog (and child)would have an 'at home mum' but this is not a ideal world and whether people have to work or choose to have a career, that is their situation and choice. This is about leaving a puppy at a Kennel EVERY other week. Not fair on any dog. It may well have a better bond and behavioural outlook with the kennel owner and stress when with the legal owner. I have similar feeling about dual custody of children. It does them no good to spend one week in a home and one week in another household when they are at an impressionable age IMO.

Personally, if you are a FIFO worker you might want to consider a housemate, a particular dog loving and happy to have a dog in their lives house mate. I would hope that people don't tell porkies on any of my Puppy Applications but I tend to engage a fair bit of conversation, so I think I, and many others I know would pick up on the persons occupation/lifestyle/interests.

I would not, especially with a breed like Rotties, which required consistent leadership and boundaries. Whatever training and rules are established in the home go out the window when in the boarding kennel.

Not only do you have to worry about the puppy stage, but also the teenage stage.

Depending on the breed I can see this as a nightmare in the making.