Whippet Won't Gain Weight

Guest english.ivy

No my dogs have been good none are lossing weight fast considering Rascal is still on a diet to lose weight he is half of what he was tho. Rascal I think does need a antibiotic as he is sneezing bad I think what they call reverse sneezing, He shakes his head when he sneezes, looks like a helicopator taking off lol. Other then that all my dogs are healthy, I'll be making a appointment for Rascal tommorrow to get checked out.

Rascal sounds sick too, not healthy :( Any dog sneezing so much isn't a good sign.

Seriously hope you get all your dogs checked out and not just keep making a reason not to.

Posting on a dog forum won't magically make them all lose weight, gain weight or stop sneezing.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

god that is not enough food for that poor dog. And what kind of vet says give it a month ...what area is she in for goodness sake, either this is becoming a wind up or if your sister does not have the money for proper veterinary analysis give the dog to someone who will. I have an avenue for this dog if it's becoming cost prohibative. I'm tempted to give your sister $100 for the dog just to get it to a vet.

Second this!!!!!

my sister is going to make some satin balls for Misty, When she picked her up she took Misty to the vets to weigh her she weighed 9.9kgs. She then feed Misty 400grams of pet mince 2 chicken necks and some goodos each day, took her back to the vets to re weigh a week later 9.8kgs. I've told her this dog needs to see a vet, She rang the vets up and they said give it another month.If it were me I would have demended them to see her. I couldn't get Misty in the vets when she was here as they were closed, My sister picked up Misty on monday early afternoon.

This story just sounds so dodgy. What vet hears of a sick dog and says "nah, we don't need to see her. Let's wait a month?"

Unless they owe the vet an awful lot of money. Even then, most vets would still see the dog, surely. Hopefully the vet is buying themselves some time while they call the authorities and have the dog taken away to a good home :cry:

I just looked in the other thread about raw food and there's pics of Missy the whippet. Missy/Misty ... Very similar in names. :confused:

There not the same dog if thats what your thinking my Missy is in great shape weight wise. Misty is a brown and white pied not fawn like Missy.Heres a old video of Misty and Missy playing, Mistys weight was good in this video Misty and Missy

Edited by mumtoshelley

Do you make sure your dogs always have fresh clean water available? They both looked hot and lethargic there, they both had tongues out and were panting and one dog was licking the tap, but I could see no sign of a bowl of water anywhere.

Yes they had fresh water in the varander in the shade. They were both tired but still wouldn't stop playing,Missy is always licking the tap specially after it was turned on. My dogs always have fresh water aviable to them,they even have a bowl inside for them too. When Misty is around Missy will not stop playing even if she is flat out standing up she will still try and play.

Do you make sure your dogs always have fresh clean water available? They both looked hot and lethargic there, they both had tongues out and were panting and one dog was licking the tap, but I could see no sign of a bowl of water anywhere.

Yes they had fresh water in the varander in the shade. They were both tired but still wouldn't stop playing,Missy is always licking the tap specially after it was turned on. My dogs always have fresh water aviable to them,they even have a bowl inside for them too. When Misty is around Missy will not stop playing even if she is flat out standing up she will still try and play.

then it is up to you to make them stop playing. Put one in a crate or inside. To play to the point of exhaustion is not good.

there is regular transport coming down to Geelong for dogs, put the whippet on there and send it down.

I am serious about it, I'll swing your sister the cash before that poor animal dies.

After reading this thread, if I had your sisters name and address I would report her to the RSPCA for neglecting to treat an animal..

I will be honest, I simply do not believe your sister when she said that the vet said wait a month. A vet might suggest to wait a day or two at most but then they say to bring an animal in for a check up...

When we purchase animals we have a duty of care to feed, water, house and treat them.. Even if it is only the basics..

I realise you have tried to intervene and help the dog but it is now time for some action before this poor animal gets any worse..

As a dog lover yourself (and you seem to adore your girl and want to do the best for her, I don't know how you can watch what is happening to your sisters dog - I know I couldn't sit by and watch a once healthy dog get sicker and sicker and not do something about it...

This poor dog cold have anything from giardiasis to some type of cancer or pancreatitis... Hopefully it is something easily treated and the dog can be well again.. But the animal needs to be seen and treated by a responsible vet, in another town if necessary...

This is such a very sad story for the dog involved....

Do you think it was an impulse buy on your sisters part because the whippet was going cheap? Usually the purchase of a pet is actually the cheapest expense, you have years of ongoing care and comittment after that, and it costs alot. Perhaps if she isn't prepared to take proper care of her whippet she would be best to rehome it, and DONT EVER get another dog.

They both looked hot and lethargic there, they both had tongues out and were panting and one dog was licking the tap, but I could see no sign of a bowl of water anywhere.

:)

In MtS's part of the world , in january, dogs pant almost continually cos it is so darn hot - and obviously moreso when they are enjoying a play with company .

Here,we have currently 7 watering points..under bushes, on verandahs..indoors... but there are lots of camera angles where these are invisible.We also have tap /dribbling hose lickers ..I think they watch the birds and then see what the fuss is about :p

MtS what a fantastic backyard !! Nice to see plenty of room for running play :)

Yes they had fresh water in the varander in the shade.

Good to hear. I could see from the way they were panting that they were hot, but as I said, I could not see them drinking as there were no watering points in your video.

If you can't afford to take your dog to the vet when its not well, then you can't afford a dog full stop :mad

MTS I asked you a question on another forum that you seemed to miss...your older GR boy, what is his name? because here you call him Buddy, yet on the other forum you call him Einstein....and on another forum again you call him buddy...very confusing

Can we get an update on this dog's progress? It has been two weeks since the original post, so I would expect that after so much advice has been given the dog has had a vet check and is putting on weight.

I'm asking because I find this thread quite disturbing. :(

I'm not happy Misty still hasn't been to the vet she didn't eat on wednesday or thursday and has thrown up once, I can't report her as she is my sister plus she will know it came from me. If Misty was my dog she would have been at the vets weeks ago,I wouldn't have let it go this long. My sister is in denial she thinks Misty is going to get better.

I'm not happy Misty still hasn't been to the vet she didn't eat on wednesday or thursday and has thrown up once, I can't report her as she is my sister plus she will know it came from me. If Misty was my dog she would have been at the vets weeks ago,I wouldn't have let it go this long. My sister is in denial she thinks Misty is going to get better.

Why would your sister know it was you? Doesn't she have neighbours??

Either grow a set and report her or go round there and take the bloody dog to the vet yourself. Wringing your hands here isn't helping the dog and frankly I'm fed up with your excuses. Not that I expected anything else of course. You never change.

If you genuinely give a damn get off the computer and DO SOMETHING.