Homeless People In The City With Dogs

samoyedman

Having said that, I find it difficult to believe most homeless people can access premium foods for their pets as well as quality worm and flea treatments.

...I dont think quality of life for a dog is all about premium dog food, many a dog has had a life before premium dog foods arrived on the scene. Surprisingly I dont think my quality of life is reflected or affected if I shop at Aldi or a premium grocer.

I think that if dog ownership is going to be reflected by whether one feeds their dog premium dog food or not I must be putting the wrong priorities in dog ownership!

I do get the case re: preventative health treatment, but I dont see this is a big burden that cannot be worked out.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Article in the Sydney Morning Herald, October 2011, refers to a Living Ruff program that was aimed at providing care for the pets of the homeless in Sydney. Rather like the Brisbane program I posted about.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/homeless-pets-to-get-helping-paw-20111005-1l938.html

I also saw a reference to another Sydney group which helps the homeless....and it, too, included some care for pets.

Edited by mita

Not the ones I saw Dave. Matted fur, splotches on underbelly and visible ribs. But maybe most are well looked after.

Having said that, I find it difficult to believe most homeless people can access premium foods for their pets as well as quality worm and flea treatments.

so unless you feed a premium food you can't be a good owner?

Like all big cities Sydney has its share of homeless people usually sitting on street corners asking for money.

I walked past one today who had two dogs tethered to him. I found this mildly distressing because the dogs didn't look healthy and needed a good feed and a wash. I would have happily given the guy some money for the dogs but by the looks of the guy I am not convinced he wouldn't spend it on booze (or worse).

In my opinion homeless people cannot look after dogs properly and council rangers should remove them. However, dogs can be very therepeutical for people in distress so I can understand why a homeless person has them.

Just wanted to share because i really felt for those mutts.

I think your view is completely WRONG. My wife works with homeless people and these dogs are treated very well, there owners will go without food themselves to ensure the dogs eat and eat well. The dogs always look well and well fed. They are very well behaved, and seem happy and settled pups. I was in the CBD this morning and talked to a homeless gent with 2 dogs and they were in impeccable condition and were so well behaved, i went and got him $50 worth of dog treats for the dogs. And letting the rangers take them they will end up euthanized and thats a great outcome.

Not the ones I saw Dave. Matted fur, splotches on underbelly and visible ribs. But maybe most are well looked after.

Most dogs in homes don't get premium foods.

No Rebanne. I am saying these people do not always have the means to provide the best health options for their dogs.

Many homeless people, some of whom may have mental or health issues and who rely on strangers to throw them coins, are hardly ideal candidates for looking after pets. I am sure there are some exceptions though who do a great job.

Obviously the preferred scenario for a dog is a loving stable home. I do of course see the therapeutic value in the homeless having a pet. I just hope those who do look after them well.

When I was in the states, I stayed down near Venice beach, which has a high population of homeless people. Many of them had dogs and there were also quite a few cats. Bar a very few exceptions, they were all in good health. Many had jumpers/jackets on, most were well groomed. On every occasion that I saw their owner with food, it was always being shared with their pet.

I don't think the incidence of pet neglect is any higher amongst the homeless than it is amongst those who live in home situations. It's just that the ones who live with homeless people are so much more visible. In a home situation, they are behind gates and closed doors.

No Rebanne. I am saying these people do not always have the means to provide the best health options for their dogs.

Many homeless people, some of whom may have mental or health issues and who rely on strangers to throw them coins, are hardly ideal candidates for looking after pets. I am sure there are some exceptions though who do a great job.

Obviously the preferred scenario for a dog is a loving stable home. I do of course see the therapeutic value in the homeless having a pet. I just hope those who do look after them well.

While this is all very nice in theory totalk about the 'norms' in pet ownership in Australia, the reality is that these people are homeless and want a mate. I also work with homeless people and they do their best, giving food to their dog over themselves. Their dogs won't be wormed, flea treated necessarily, desexed or vaccinated...but dogs that are are really lucky and often get better treatment than alot of people in this world. That's reality but don't judge these people as pet owners...they need their pets and many homeless services run pet care because they so often have a dog.

In my opinion homeless people cannot look after dogs properly and council rangers should remove them.

At the beginning of the thread, you wanted their dogs removed.

Like all big cities Sydney has its share of homeless people usually sitting on street corners asking for money.

I walked past one today who had two dogs tethered to him. I found this mildly distressing because the dogs didn't look healthy and needed a good feed and a wash. I would have happily given the guy some money for the dogs but by the looks of the guy I am not convinced he wouldn't spend it on booze (or worse).

In my opinion homeless people cannot look after dogs properly and council rangers should remove them. However, dogs can be very therepeutical for people in distress so I can understand why a homeless person has them.

Just wanted to share because i really felt for those mutts.

I've seen many dogs in the City with homeless people. I haven't yet seen any in poor condition.

Needing a bath is hardly a reason to say a person shouldn't have a dog.

Homeless people migrate....something dogs naturaly would do. The homeless peoples dogs Im familar with come across as some of the happiest most well balanced dogs I've seen.

well premium food is not always the bees knees anyway. You might not be able to carry bags of dog food around but worm tablets don't take up a lot of space.

The couple of homeless blokes I've spoken to say that many people give them food, treats, worm and flea stuff for their dogs, to the point that they can share them with other homeless dog owners at the shelters if they go for a meal.

There was a particularly lovely kelpie in Devonshire St tunnel last year, beautiful dog and the absolute centre of her companion's life.

In my opinion homeless people cannot look after dogs properly and council rangers should remove them.

At the beginning of the thread, you wanted their dogs removed.

I wanted these particular ones removed because they didnt look well looked after. To be honest they are the only ones I have ever seen. I didnt know dogs amongst the homeless were as common as this thread has revealed.

There is a homeless lady and her pooch who I have seen a couple of times in the Melb CBD.

Her little dog has a warm coat on in winter along with a soft bed & some toys.

I have gone into a coles express/iga etc to grab a small amount of dog food for a couple of homeless people with their dogs.

In my inner city burb there are a lot of homeless with dogs. I have often admired the bond they have. As someone else mentioned, these dogs are true companions, with their extremely loving owners 24 hours a day. For both person & dog, they are the world to each other. Family.

What they lack in premium treatment they are more than compensated for by that IMO.

Do you know the fur is due to mistreatment? I know several middle class people whose dogs have skin conditions, they look no less mangy than a homeless dog & are treated with premium care.

And if its just dirty scruffiness- no baths but lots of love? I think I know what most dogs would choose. :laugh:

There is a homeless lady and her pooch who I have seen a couple of times in the Melb CBD.

Her little dog has a warm coat on in winter along with a soft bed & some toys.

I have gone into a coles express/iga etc to grab a small amount of dog food for a couple of homeless people with their dogs.

Me to. I was in Melbourne CBD a few weeks back and there was a man and his big black dog out the front of Melbourne Central. While i was in the shops i ducked into Coles and brought some dog treats. On my way out i handed them to the man. WOW the big dog perked up, wagged his tail and started to smell the back of treats. Made my day. I only wished i had gotten him more.

I think these dogs are well looked after (for where they are) by their homeless masters. For some (people), it's probably the only friendship and warmth they get.

It's entirely likely that the ratio of neglect in the homeless population is probably the same as it is across the normal population if anyone had the inclination to do a study on it, as others have said its more visible on the street instead of someones backyard. The availability of resources is probably not as signficant a factor either as we all know plenty of people who buy the cheapest nastiest dog food and balk at paying vet bills even though they have far more disposable income than any homeless person. It's great that the assistance that is available for the homeless recognizes the importance of pets and provides support for them, no its not the ideal, ideally they would have homes and a better ability to give their pets everything they want to give them, and we should always strive for improvement but taking their pets is unlikely to help anyone.

If you can afford it maybe carry some gift vouchers for a pet supply store with you so that you can help them out without worrying about cash?

homeless.jpg

:cry: No the rangers should not take the dogs off them. These dogs would probably be taken to the pound & PTS. The person who has lost everything loses their friend & more.

Go back & find them & take some food for them both if they are on your mind.

To be honest they are the only ones I have ever seen. I didnt know dogs amongst the homeless were as common as this thread has revealed.

Everywhere in the world where there are homeless ... I saw quite a few street people in Madrid last year with dogs - most of which looked pretty well cared for.

If you can afford it maybe carry some gift vouchers for a pet supply store with you so that you can help them out without worrying about cash?

That's a great idea. Just make sure though it's one they can get too.