Dog Attack Ruined My Life

Teebs

seems our local paper is having a dog week

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news/local/news/general/dog-attack-ruined-my-life/2573242.aspx?storypage=0

Dog attack ruined my life

BY JANICE HARRIS

30 May, 2012 04:00 AM

FOUR months after being savagely attacked by two American bulldogs near her home in Orange, Rachel Hepworth is still doing it tough.

She hasn’t been able to return to work as an apprentice chef, will probably require more surgery and has no income because of the serious injuries she suffered in the horrific attack.

The deep scars on her arm - a reminder of the day she desperately tried to get away from the attacking dogs - will remain for life.

Ms Hepworth underwent emergency surgery in Orange hospital following the attack in early February after the two dogs knocked down a fence and ran her down in the middle of Tobruk Crescent as she cradled her small dog in her arms, trying to protect him.

“I still wake up with nightmares most nights and can’t even cut my meat up,” she said.

Ms Hepworth’s arm was ripped open to the bone in several places and was in a cast for eight weeks after surgery.

“It is going to be a long process and I may never have the full use of my arm as it was before,” she said.

“I really want to go back to work. The people I worked for have been really good keeping my job open for me so far but at this stage I just don’t know when I can go back.”

Ms Hepworth said her medical bills, including weekly physiotherapy sessions to restore the use of her hand and fingers, were covered under Medicare.

“But my other bills keep coming in and it’s hard when I can’t work,” she said.

Ms Hepworth has obtained legal advice about the possibility of taking civil action against the owners of the dogs to compensate for her time off work and loss of income.

“But that is going to cost many thousands of dollars and a settlement could be years away,” she said.

“That doesn’t help me now.”

Orange City Council rangers seized the two offending dogs after the vicious attack and they were enthanased.

However, Ms Hepworth understands there are no measures in place to prevent the owners buying more dogs.

“I know its is sad for them losing their pets, but if people want to have big dogs to have as guard dogs they need to treat them well and be more responsible,” she said.

Member for Orange Andrew Gee said while he was not familiar with the details surrounding Ms Hepworth’s situation, a new state government task force was looking at issues surrounding dog ownership and the Companion Animals Act.

“I think the investigation of this task force is very timely and in the second half of this year the task force will be focusing on issues such as the prevalence of dog attacks in this state,” he said.

“We need to look at the penalties in force and how the Act is operating, and members of the public like this young woman will be able to put in submissions,” he said.

Ms Hepworth says because she lives with her boyfriend, who is a baker in Orange, she is not eligible for any disability allowance while she is undergoing rehabilitation.

“Centrelink told us my boyfriend’s salary as a baker was over the threshold,” she said.

Ms Hepworth said she has had to put her life on hold.

“We were saving up for a house of our own when this happened,” she said.

janice.harris@ruralpress. com

maybe owners of dogs should be required to take out an insurance policy ..so people like this poor girl can have some bills covered.

I actually think thats not a bad idea, kind of like a public liability policy.

maybe owners of dogs should be required to take out an insurance policy ..so people like this poor girl can have some bills covered.

I would have thought that this girl would have legal grounds to sue the owners of the dogs regardless of whether they have insurance. I know on the farm, if one of our cows causes an accident or mauls someone then we would get sued pretty damn quick...that's why we have farm insurance. Why is it different for dog owners :confused: I would have thought that it might even come under the dog owners household insurance public liability.

I would have thought that this girl would have legal grounds to sue the owners of the dogs regardless of whether they have insurance. I know on the farm, if one of our cows causes an accident or mauls someone then we would get sued pretty damn quick...that's why we have farm insurance. Why is it different for dog owners :confused: I would have thought that it might even come under the dog owners household insurance public liability.

When I worked in home insurance there was public liability included for animal attacks, they may not have home insurance though.

Does seem strange that she has no recourse whatsoever :(

I know if my dog got out on the road & caused an accident I would be sued for everything I own. But...yes...you can't get blood out of a stone. But if the owners of the dogs were liable, they would still have to pay up/pay off, or go bankrupt.

Really disgusting... I feel for this poor woman. As far as I'm concerned the dog owners are responsible and they ought to be held responsible. In my eyes that means financial compensation. If they have no assets, go out and get a damn second job and face up to what you and your dogs did to ruin a life.

1338449733[/url]' post='5851622']

If the owners were sucessfully prosecuted by council, would she be eligible for Victims of Crime Compensation?

Yes if it went through the courts she could get victims compensation andif court directs damages they get it from the persons wage or centrelink perhaps if they happen to be unemployed.

Edited by Charjas

How can dogs attacks be stopped in the first place, that's what I want to know.

Responsible ownership.

Does anyone know how it actually happened? The events that took place? I cant seem to find it, only the aftermath is included in the article.

How can dogs attacks be stopped in the first place, that's what I want to know.

You can't- unless you remove the dogs.

Too many variables, people often learn from mistakes too- so it can be from a learning prospective; ie offlead dog goes into prey drive (for the first time) after it sees a SWF whizz by- responsible owner after that keeps dog on leash whenever out and about ect ect.