Do Dogs Miss People?

Bomber

I moved up to Queensland from Victoria four weeks ago. I have two Jack Russells that I had to leave behind with friends. I had to drive up and went with a friend. We were staying in hotels and so I couldn't take my dogs with me. I am flying down in a couple of weeks to get them. I am missing them like crazy. I was wondering whether they would be missing me too. I would have much more peace of mind if I knew they were fine without me.

They'll be missing you but lots of TLC and fun distractions on your friends behalf will help them. :)

Oh, and don't be surprised if they got nuts when they see you next and then give you the cold shoulder. :laugh:

I think they miss us.

My old stafford used to go nuts when I got back after leaving him at my mothers place or with friends... I usually only had to leave him from Thursday night until Sunday lunch time. The way he acted when he saw me was like he hadn't seen me in months...

Our new boy is even more excited. We have only had Ziggy for about 7 months and got him when he was 6 months old but he looks at you like you have kicked him when you walk out the door away from him... And then he does the whole body wriggle when you come home, even if you have only been gone for 5 minutes...

He is much more of a talker than the old guy was to, so follows you around woo wooing and woofing at us.

I am sure your dogs will be missing you...

They do. I went to NZ for a week, the longest i'd left them both. When I got home, I hid in the bedroom while OH let them inside. All i could hear was their thundering feet and I heard them stop in the kitchen and sniff. Diesel headed back outside sniffing madly, Bundy to the bedroom. He stopped in the doorway and just looked at me as I was on the bed, and launched himself across the room into my arms. Diesel thundered back through the house and threw himself at me whining with delight. Both dogs were bouncing around, barking and licking me. For the rest of the day I had two shadows. They both took turns glueing themselves to me for cuddles :laugh: I honestly thought i'd get their usual 2 min happy dance, then they'd leave me alone, but they kept it up for half an hour! I was pretty thrilled with their reactions, infact Diesel who's OH's dog was more excited than Bundy (he gave me the cold shoulder the next day!).

The whole time I was away they coped fine, Bundy would just run to the window and check each car as it went past for the first day, after that I wasn't missed at all, they just figured it was the 'new normal' but once I was back they were happy dogs.

They'll be missing you but lots of TLC and fun distractions on your friends behalf will help them. :)

Oh, and don't be surprised if they got nuts when they see you next and then give you the cold shoulder. :laugh:

Kenny always missed me, he would hardly eat while I was away, whether in kennels, or being looked after at home. When I came home, he would happily say hello for about 5 minutes, then wouldn't talk to me for a couple days to teach me a lesson. :rofl:

My OH was out for a boys night the other night, and when I was in the kitchen, my little darlin was being suspiciously quiet so I go to the lounge room to see what she was up to and I found her sitting staring at the front door. We live at a dead end in a quiet street so I am pretty sure she wa waiting for my OH to get home!

My OH was out for a boys night the other night, and when I was in the kitchen, my little darlin was being suspiciously quiet so I go to the lounge room to see what she was up to and I found her sitting staring at the front door. We live at a dead end in a quiet street so I am pretty sure she wa waiting for my OH to get home!

My dogs sit on top of the couch looking out window for me to return. I'm a bit worried they've been looking out the window for the last four weeks. :cry:

Edited by Bomber

My bitch definitely misses me. When i leave, she waits for hours on end at the front door. And if im ever away for long periods, she recognises the sound of my car in the driveway and bashes down the back door.

One time, i had to leave for 12 months, she apparently spent the whole time sniffing around the house trying to find me. It was rather depressing for the both of us.

Doesn't do this for anyone else.

I was recently away for a week for work, and OH said my girl would spend an hour or so, around the time I normally get home, rushing for the door, everytime she heard a car go by.

She was definitely very happy to see me home.

But your guys are out of their normal routine, and pattern, and have each other for company, so hopefully they're coping OK, and will just be really happy to see you!

My dogs miss my OH when he goes to work, & will sit at the front door every afternoon about 30 minutes before his usual time getting home & wait for him,..... & the welcome they give him is wonderful. :)

I'm home with them most of the time,but when I do leave them from time to time, I get a lovely welcome home too.

Last year one of the puppies from my 1st litter stayed with me for 3 weeks while his owners went overseas on holidays. He settled in well with us, had lots of fun running around our property & playing with his mum & his brother Jasper, he would get cuddles on my lap at night time,was eating well & he just seemed very happy & content staying with his. :)

We took photos of him looking happy & content & I posted them on his owners fb wall to reassure them that he was doing ok & was having a good time....he's owners then got worried that he was looking too happy & that he wasn't missing them at all :laugh:

Well they didn't need to worry, because when they came to pick him up, the reunion was so beautiful....he was so excited, his little bum was wiggling & tail was wagging so fast,he couldn't stop kissing them & looked so relieved to see them again.

So while he settled in well in our household & appeared to be happy & seemed to enjoy himself, he did miss his owners too, & was so happy to be reunited again.

That's what I love about dogs, they are so loyal, & they really do love us so unconditionally, & of course they miss us when their seperated from us. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

At the end of 2009 I adopted an old Maltese boy who'd had a life of cruelty and then lived in a shelter for a year. I'd always liked him but couldn't adopt him until end 2009.

I'd only had him for 6 months and went overseas for a month, he didn't even look back when I left him with a friend who is a dog minder.

When I got back a month later and went to pick him up, he was so overjoyed to see me that it brought tears to my eyes, he kissed my face over and over, it was truly lovely and made me think he'd missed me indeed.

I think they miss us but they cope, they might fret for a while and then they just get on with things and try to adapt and learn the new house rules.

Unless they are like Hachiko and wait for 10 years till they die.

My little Pomeranian misses me I'm sure.. I leave him at home during the day as I work full time and I'll come home to him sitting on the arm of the couch nearest to the front door. When he sees me he usually jumps down and does excited wees and rolls on his back for belly rubs :laugh:

Seeing a 2.5kg wriggly dog trying to wag his tail wildly whilst on his back is a sight to see :rofl:

My little Pomeranian misses me I'm sure.. I leave him at home during the day as I work full time and I'll come home to him sitting on the arm of the couch nearest to the front door. When he sees me he usually jumps down and does excited wees and rolls on his back for belly rubs :laugh:

Seeing a 2.5kg wriggly dog trying to wag his tail wildly whilst on his back is a sight to see :rofl:

I interpreted the question more as long term missing, like if we died and they had to be rehomed, or just a temporary rehoming if we went on holidays and left them with someone to look after.

Mine are always happy when I return from somewhere I've been for the day, but I never encourage it, I try to play down their excitement. To be honest, I'd rather they didn't miss me, it would be easier for them to adapt to a new house if they had to.

I think a lot depends upon the dog and the circumstances. I've seen this first hand in the past few months.

For example, my Stafford, Woger is MY dog....almost exclusively. If I go out of the room for more than a few minutes (and he hasn't come with me) he'll go looking immediately. If I'm away for a few days, he's an absolute PITA until I return and then pays out on me by being a bigger PITA. He really doesn't know what a stranger is, but his sun and moon rise and set in me.

Then you have Buddy who was a young rescue Chi X that my parents took in about 8 years ago. He was my mother's dog. She was somewhat of a hypochondriac and so was Buddy. Wherever she was, he was. And he was a yapping, clingy, insecure MESS. When she passed last September, my father was really worried how Buddy would settle. But Buddy settled. And in many ways became a new dog. He was more confident, seemed happier, wasn't as yappy or clingy and was actually starting to look like he was enjoying his new life with my dad and his canine buddy Duncan. The funniest thing was that he was STILL a hypochondriac and if he wanted attention, he'd sneeze or he'd get up and start limping (different leg each time and only until somebody said "oooooohhhhhhh pooooooooooor Buddy, got a sore leg Buddy? Oh deaaaarrrrrrr" and then the "malady" would disappear.

Sadly, my dad passed away on the 19th May. Before he went into hospital on the 14th, he'd taken Buddy to the vet and it was revealed that Buddy had listened to my mum too much and had a heart problem which required treatment and ongoing medication. So Buddy was admitted to hospital too. When he was released he came back to my dad's house to await him coming out of hospital with friends visiting and feeding Buddy and Duncan every day. When I arrived on the following Monday, Buddy looked dreadful and allowed me to pick him up for a cuddle. He had NEVER allowed that previously. Next day, I took one look at him and realised that I had to do the inevitable. I believe that my dad knew it too but couldn't bring himself to sever that tie with my mum so left it for me to do.

Fast forward to Duncan, my parent's other dog. An American Cocker, I'd given Duncan to my dad a few years previously to replace his old Cocker x Corgi who passed away in his sleep. Duncan is aging now and is mostly deaf, partly blind but still food driven. He hasn't missed my dad at all. It was kind of like he said "yep, I remember you, this is my house still, where's the food?" I think because I was his "mum" first, it made the transition easier when it came to the time that my mum, dad and Buddy weren't here.

So yes, different dogs, different responses.