Bread Dog

samoyedman

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/mystery-golden-retriever-dog-gillie-brings-owner-12-loaves-of-bread-as-owner-michael-shaw-is-puzzled/story-e6freuy9-1226402681674

677552-gillie.jpg

SHE'S a half-baked crook that just likes loafing around - now the search is on to find her hapless victims.

Gillie the mischievous golden retriever has since Sunday been on a one-dog crime spree in Camden, south-west of Sydney.

Do you have an explanation? Tell us below

Owner Michael Shaw explained that his eight-year-old pooch mysteriously turned up with an unopened loaf of bread on Sunday morning, dropping it on the front step and lying down proudly next to her freshly baked trophy.

It didn’t stop there. Gillie has since returned with a total of 12 full loaves of sliced bread and two packets of muffins, despite the fact the closest shop is a 10-minute drive away.

“She brings back things quite often, but normally it’s an old gumboot or something like that,” Mr Shaw, 25, said today.

“She has a bit of an insecurity problem so she always has things in her mouth. She has a big stuffed toy and will bark at neighbours while still holding it in her mouth but she’s never brought back anything like this before.”

“The only thing she’s eaten is the first bag of muffins and there was a new fresh bag there this morning and it was untouched.”

Gillie’s modus operandi up to this point has been to deliver the loaves one-by-one at the front step, then lie amongst her baked booty proudly with a wag in her tail.

“It’s like she’s bringing us gifts - she just lies around all of them,” Mr Shaw said.

He is yet to hear from neighbours about any missing baked goods, so the mystery continues.

“The only thing we can think of is that a neighbour has bought some bread to give to some cows or something, but it’s completely bizarre,” he said.

“She’s on a mission.”

Is there a corner store the Goldie calls at? Sam, the boxer, who used to live next to my mother's home, was an escape artist when his owners' were at work. He'd swing by a corner store & take a packet of potato chips from the stand that was just inside the door. He only needed to poke his head around the corner.

But Sam's biggest caper was when the big truck arrived to deliver meat to the butcher shop. A ramp would be put down at the back of the truck as the delivery man hauled the meat into the store. Sam nipped up the ramp....& took his pick.

People in the area knew Sam well & were very good to him. As soon as he was discovered to be out, someone would take him back home.

After a while, all his escape routes were located....so no more free shopping for Sam.

Edited by mita

Yes Mita that reminds me of a friends dog here that used to wait out the front of the pub between 3 and 3.30pm every day no fail for his owner.Everyone knew Storm he was an icon in this town.He would use all of the pedestrian crossings,always waited for the traffic to stop before he crossed.There were certain restaurants that he would hang at the back door of,he loved the pie shop :) He is no longer with us but his ledgend lives on :)

Perhaps if she was confined to her owners property she wouldn't be bringing home other peoples bread.

:laugh:

I wonder if they really are fresh? As in, is anyone checking the useby dates, are they brand new bags or as they week-olds somebody has put in a shed for the horses? Or has Gillie stumbled upon a bread-smuggling ring perhaps? Black market bread?

I saw that and thought it was cute

not so cute that she's allowed to wander the streets freely though...

Exactly, irresponsible owner thinks it's funny, what happens if the poor dog gets hit by a car, gets in a fight with another dog, eats poisoned food, or possibly bite someone if it gets scared or threatened. :mad

People on here shouldn't be finding this story cute or funny.

Exactly, irresponsible owner thinks it's funny, what happens if the poor dog gets hit by a car, gets in a fight with another dog, eats poisoned food, or possibly bite someone if it gets scared or threatened. :mad

I watched the news report. Aside from being less than impressed by this thief which (by the owner's own admission) is guilty of 'wandering at large' on multiple occassions, I wondered if the journalistic slant or public reaction to the story would have been the same if it was a GSD, staffy, rotty etc

I watched the news report. Aside from being less than impressed by this thief which (by the owner's own admission) is guilty of 'wandering at large' on multiple occassions, I wondered if the journalistic slant or public reaction to the story would have been the same if it was a GSD, staffy, rotty etc

If it was a Bull breed, GSD, Rotty etc., the media wouldn't have run the story, or if they did, they would have been saying that dangerous dog allowed to roam streets.

This is the double standards that annoys the hell out of me. So called safe dogs can do what they want. The only dog I have been bitten by was a Lab who was not confined in his yard. I don't blame the dog, but the irresponsible owners.

I'd be tempted to catch the dog next time she wanders and drop her in at the pound. Maybe that'll teach her owners to lock her up more securely.

It's not amusing that this dog is stealing and it's definitely not amusing that she's in danger of being hurt.

If it was a Bull breed, GSD, Rotty etc., the media wouldn't have run the story, or if they did, they would have been saying that dangerous dog allowed to roam streets. This is the double standards that annoys the hell out of me. So called safe dogs can do what they want. The only dog I have been bitten by was a Lab who was not confined in his yard. I don't blame the dog, but the irresponsible owners.

Yep.

I take your point Having once found a gorgeous huge Rottie out wandering, my concern for him was that the 'terror' buttons would be pushed.

But my reading of the story is that something is going to have to be done about the Goldie's wandering.

Certainly, as cute as Sam the Boxer's 'free shopping' sprees were, it was agreed they'd have to come to an end.

Should contact Camden shire council and ask why the owner isn't being fined or at least counselled about his dog wandering

Just because its a lab doesn't make it O.K. and I'm sure the person losing the bread wont think so either.

Should contact Camden shire council and ask why the owner isn't being fined or at least counselled about his dog wandering

Just because its a lab doesn't make it O.K. and I'm sure the person losing the bread wont think so either.

Nope, not a Lab. A Lab would have eaten the lot and probably some plastic or clips off the packets. Silly funny Goldie and stupid owner!

Edited by Katdogs

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/mystery-golden-retriever-dog-gillie-brings-owner-12-loaves-of-bread-as-owner-michael-shaw-is-puzzled/story-e6freuy9-1226402681674

677552-gillie.jpg

SHE'S a half-baked crook that just likes loafing around - now the search is on to find her hapless victims.

Gillie the mischievous golden retriever has since Sunday been on a one-dog crime spree in Camden, south-west of Sydney.

Do you have an explanation? Tell us below

Owner Michael Shaw explained that his eight-year-old pooch mysteriously turned up with an unopened loaf of bread on Sunday morning, dropping it on the front step and lying down proudly next to her freshly baked trophy.

It didn’t stop there. Gillie has since returned with a total of 12 full loaves of sliced bread and two packets of muffins, despite the fact the closest shop is a 10-minute drive away.

“She brings back things quite often, but normally it’s an old gumboot or something like that,” Mr Shaw, 25, said today.

“She has a bit of an insecurity problem so she always has things in her mouth. She has a big stuffed toy and will bark at neighbours while still holding it in her mouth but she’s never brought back anything like this before.”

“The only thing she’s eaten is the first bag of muffins and there was a new fresh bag there this morning and it was untouched.”

Gillie’s modus operandi up to this point has been to deliver the loaves one-by-one at the front step, then lie amongst her baked booty proudly with a wag in her tail.

“It’s like she’s bringing us gifts - she just lies around all of them,” Mr Shaw said.

He is yet to hear from neighbours about any missing baked goods, so the mystery continues.

“The only thing we can think of is that a neighbour has bought some bread to give to some cows or something, but it’s completely bizarre,” he said.

“She’s on a mission.”

i am smiling in remembering my dear old Brian Custard O'Doggle ( from a long ,long time ago before dogs were regarded as backyard decorations...and suburban streets were not car raceways.. kids used to play on the street ) he was a shocking bread thief amongst other things and he too would bring the loaves home. One sunday he even arrived home with a warm roast leg of lamb!!!!!!!! I know if he had been confined behind a fence it would not have happened .. but brian was a neighbourhood personality.. and everyone knew him and would feed him and enjoy his company. He was a yellow lab.

h

About 35 years ago we had a dog in our neighbourhood which got out and pinched milk and cream from the neighbours - back then we used to have milk products delivered to doorsteps - simple cure the neighbours gave the owners one chance to fix it - they didn't so they shot the dog. Right up front about it - returned the body to the owners and the owners knew without a a doubt it was their fault.

some people are just unfathomable.

there was a neighbouring dog that took to comming to my place and attacking my dogs, (jumped my fences like they werent even there) asked the owner to keep him home but nope back again so took him to the pound. forget how many times he went and it must have cost mega as i believe its upped every repeat but nope they just kept getting him back and letting him roam again.

i believe/suspect some one shot him in the end as he simply dissappeared.

just dont understand the mentality. beautiful dog but he belonged at his home, not terroising other peoples dogs and stock surely?

Edited by asal