What Would Your Friends And Family Do With Your Dogs?

Alyosha

Recent events have got me thinking. Most of us make allowances in wills etc for what is to happen to our dogs if we die unexpectedly.

But what would happen if we were suddenly critically ill, injured etc? Wills and last wishes are not taken into account in these circumstances, even though sometimes we may be left unable to communicate our wishes for our dog's futures. Especially important for those of us whose families are not overly doggy and could not take on our pets at the drop of a hat.

Does anyone here have emergency plans? I wonder at some of the best ways to put these in place. My way of thinking is tending towards providing our next of kin with emergency dog contacts. While many of us have very close dog friends and trusted people within the dog community, our families might not know of them or think to contact them in the event of something bad happening.

The other train of thought is this. If you have left instructions with family, friends, executors etc regarding dogs, could you be certain that those wishes were carried out? Thinking here specifically of dogs that owners may request to be put down in the event of their death or incapacitation. Would next of kin understand why? Or would they think that horrible and try something else?

The slogans used in the recent campaigns about organ donation spring to mind. Do you family know what you want? Do we need to have that difficult and uncomfortable conversation so we can be sure?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myself and my OH have printed laminated cards in our wallets. On thes we have included what dogs we have, where they are and what to do with them in emergency situations... whom to contact etc.

Also is information regarding how to deal with the dogs in various scenarios of our illness/death etc.

We have noted breeders' names and contact details and vet details.

As soon as I thought to do this a few years ago, I felt so much better and so relieved. OH and I live a fairly secluded life, not many visitors and friends and pretty much no family that we have contact with or trust our dogs to. It was something we really had to do. From time to time I update our cards when new dogs are added or anything changes.

Years ago we included instructions in our Will regarding the dogs, but these were very specific and nearly all our dogs are different now, so it is pretty much redundant. I plan to alter our Wills soon, but in the mean time our cards should cover it.

Added, the majority of my instructions include euthanasia for the older adults and younger ones being returned to breeder in the case of our death and some types of injuries. Our families are not included in any of the dog's business in emergency so their feeling are irrelevant to us.

Edited by dyzney

I honestly have no idea what I would do with Kyojin. I don't trust anyone I know to give him the love and care that we do. I have one friend that believes animals are part of the family, but I don't think she could handle Kyojin's size.

It's a hard one. My family all live in another state. OH's family all live in New Zealand. Perhaps that would mean local dog people would be called in first anyway.

My parents are really not up to dealing with a situation like that, my father certainly isn't due to some severe health problems. Of my other immediate family, one person would be a risk for not carrying out wishes as set out and the other, while they would carry out my wishes, has no dog experience or training. Our dogs are also not "easy" for non-dog people. So in the "OH and I in a car hit by a semi" scenario, while the breeders would all make permanent arrangements for the dogs, the trick would be notifying them and facilitating their access to the dogs.

My family would probably be relieved if I communicated to them that I don't wish them involved at all and nominated a contact person to facilitate return to breeders/rehoming. I should get off my butt and sort that out.

Well my mum would be there for zorro, she still misses our GSD but would take my little smooch in a heart beat she would also make sure my horse rocky is well looked after. I told OH the other day about it actually and he was quite up set that I told him mum would take care of zorro as I know how busy he is with his business.

So I think zorro has alot of people to watch over him, and I know my dad would take him as well, what ever might happen he would still be one spoilt pooch.

I think it all depends on the dog involved, Smooch is really a one person dog,he has had a lot of medical issues, can't be left for too long on hot days as he won't drink when I am not home. After discussions with Smoochies vet who has looked after him since he was a pup, Smooch is now 11 years old. I have made the discussion that Smooch is left to my vet and he will put him down, have him cremated and his ashes scattered on my property. Than Jimmy my working dog he loves everyone, my daughter would keep him or if that wasn't possible our horse farrier would take him. Jimmy is only 3years old and a trained working dog.

This already happened to me. My heart girl came to live with me and my old SBT in Jan 2008 as a pup and in Feb 2008 I fell over her on concrete, landed hard on my butt and ended up with an abscess on the base of my spine. I was heavily drugged and bedridden for about 3 months and had lots of emergency visits and two lots of surgery. My youngest sister, who I had almost no relationship with moved in with her dog to care for me and mine. She never moved out and we now have a very close relationship. Unless she meets someone with their own house I suspect she and whatever dog she has will live with me forever. The good thing is that living here has been very positive for her dog as well. Previously aloof and prone to not eating when unhappy my sister can now leave town and her dog doesn't seem to miss her one bit! Mine are the same with her.

Aside from that our parents, extended family and friends know that our dogs are extremely important to us and considered part of our family (my sister and I don't have or want kids) so if we both became incapacitated our dogs would have other familiar people and homes to move in with.

I hadn't thought about this until reading a thread on a forum prompted me to actually ask my partner and family what THEY thought would happen. It turns out that everyone thought they would be taking Maggie on, and all were more than happy to. But my partner was mortified that I ever considered leaving Maggie to my mum + sister, rather than to him.. he was halfway between angry and crying, that I didn't think he would take on full responsibility and ownership (bless him!).

i've now clarified that with all people involved, that Mags will go to my partner if anything happens to me. Mum is backup :)

My dogs would go to my parents... they love them and I think would cherish having a part of me with them.

But one thing I did think about recently is what would happen to your dogs if something happened to you while out with them... ie. you were hit by a car while out walking the dogs.

If the dogs were fine but you were not how would passers by or abulance officers etc. who found the dogs know what to do with them or who to call. My dogs only have MY number listed on their tags and I often walk without my phone or purse. Looks like its time to add another number to their tags or something.

I think about this from time to time. I ask my husband what he would do and tell him my greatest wish would be for him to be there for the dogs, which he would. If something happened to both of us though, I wouldn't trust many people with my dogs. My parents would take them but have said they wouldn't be able to keep them and I wouldn't want them to. I worry what they would do though. Last time we went away I actually wrote down the contact details of a couple of people I would trust to make a decision for the dogs but those couple of people are not local so I don't know what would happen. My parents also don't take it seriously when I bring up the topic.

Luckily for me this is quite easy.

My sons live about 3 hrs away and I know they would drop anything to come and collcet my dogs for any reason.

When I moved out of Brisbane they quite openly said they would miss the dogs more than they would miss me.

My children were teeenagers when we got these dogs so they are family dogs and I'd completely trust them to make the best decisions for Maddy and Charlie.

Recently a friend of ours in Victoria was taken by ambulance and ended up in Intensive care. They tried to contact his sister as next of kin, but couldn't get hold of her, so nobody was allowed to see him or talk to him or be told how he was. We only knew he was in hospital because he called us complaining of severe pain and we told him to get an ambulance. We knew he had a cat, so a friend who lived close went around to check it was ok. He saw a cat in the garden that ran off, and so we assumed the cat was ok. He left some food for it, and did this a couple of times.

On day five our friend was out of intensive care, and able to access his phone again. He called and told us that his cat was locked in the house, and that the hospital wouldn't go and get his phone out of the locker and call his friends and nobody could get hold of his sister.

So the friend that lived close to him drove into the hospital straight away to get the house keys and back to see the cat. The cat was ok, but very hungry. Poor cat.

This has made me think that people need to get their next of kin details up to date, because hospital staff are not going to go through all your things and phone contacts to call your friends to tell them to feed your cat. :(

He's still in hospital and isn't very well, so I hope he gets better soon.

Myself and my OH have printed laminated cards in our wallets. On thes we have included what dogs we have, where they are and what to do with them in emergency situations... whom to contact etc.

Also is information regarding how to deal with the dogs in various scenarios of our illness/death etc.

We have noted breeders' names and contact details and vet details.

As soon as I thought to do this a few years ago, I felt so much better and so relieved. OH and I live a fairly secluded life, not many visitors and friends and pretty much no family that we have contact with or trust our dogs to. It was something we really had to do. From time to time I update our cards when new dogs are added or anything changes.

Years ago we included instructions in our Will regarding the dogs, but these were very specific and nearly all our dogs are different now, so it is pretty much redundant. I plan to alter our Wills soon, but in the mean time our cards should cover it.

Added, the majority of my instructions include euthanasia for the older adults and younger ones being returned to breeder in the case of our death and some types of injuries. Our families are not included in any of the dog's business in emergency so their feeling are irrelevant to us.

Dyzney, that is a really good idea.

Is it possible that you could take a pic or pop a rough copy up (omitting your personal details of course)?

I'd be interested in doing something similar but not sure where to start..embarrass.gif

Yes Dyzney, that is a great idea, I am not young and my OH & family are not really dog people and I do often think ( worry ) about " What if something should happen "

I will start to put something like that in place.

My wish, should I be unable to care for them for whatever reason, is that my animals be gently euth'd .

That would be many people's wish for some dogs who have meidcal, behaviour, or age related issues that we are confident in dealing with. But how do we make sure it happens? Many non dog people would find that quite confronting. I can imagine leaving them at a pound or shelter can seem a much easier option (for the person that is!).

A contributing factor can also be that these family and friends are suffering their own grief, loss, shock and stress and judgement can be altered.

Dyzney I really like your idea. Really really like it. It could be a very good way of putting next of kin in touch with trusted dog friends.