• Let them chase it a bit but then stop them
    • actively encourage it
    • other
  2. 2. How do you see tail chasing

• Completely normal
    • A potentially serious issue
    • Haven't thought about it
    • Other

Scout chases his tail, more so on cue now a days. 'Get your Wik' is his cue to do it. His natural play with tail chasing was how he learnt to spin on command. It's not something he does all the time, only when he's in the mood for it [in wally mode]. But yes he was actively encouraged to do it [and voted so]. It's never been a problem with him, nor become an obsessive behaviour.

I knew about the tail chasers and the problem it is with them but is just a bit of a tail chase every now and then when playing a bad thing - can this general play really lead to the more serious (and very sadly, often fatal) issue of spinning?

How very sad for the owners of dogs that need to be given their wings - heartbreaking..

Maybe I need to distract him from doing it every now and then but he seems to stop on his own after a few turns and he probably only does it a couple of times a week..

Saw the clip. My immediate reaction was OCD. That was a pretty extreme case.

While a little tail chasing in pups may be cute, I'd be discouraging it and particularly in the breeds prone to OCD - like working dogs.

Never ceases to amaze me the behavioural issues served up on funniest home videos as "cute" or funny. :(

I had a foster dog that was atail chaser but developed this after I adopted him out along with aggressive traits he didn't have. I took him back and adopted him myself but he was so OCD and neurotic that he wasn't saf around young children or other dogs and so we made the decision to have him PTS as he would bite and chase his tail constantly, we had behaviourists and trainers consult and nothing worked. I emailed the family and asked them why and they said the children had thought it was funny and had encouraged it. So basically they didn't recognise the signs of neurosis and ruined a perfectly balanced dog.

I never actually realized there was a "thing" with tail spinning being a serious issue for some dogs, I just thought it was something random and crazy that they did in a spur of the moment. I laugh when Hugo does it every now and again (maybe once a fortnight when he's under the bed and his tail scares him because it's dark and he doesn't know what's touching him, haha). I will make sure to stop him when I see him doing it next!

It can really depend on a lot of other things. A dog/puppy that when playing once in a VERY blue moon does a spin around for its tail and it then goes on with other play, then it is in no way a big deal. I don't acknowledge it when they do it and just go on with play with them. If the dog begins to do it more frequently though (i.e. you can see a rough pattern forming in play or excitement etc), it may be an issue to watch for and actively distract them from. If it becomes a major habit there is likely something else going on neurologically to place it in the 'obsessive/compulsive' category. I have fostered a chronic tail chaser who would even constantly chase his tail while swimming. Nothing woulod distract him from his tail and it was constant and debilitating. He had other issues as well and unfortunately was PTS. This type of behaviour can be 'sezure like' in that they zone out and focus on nothing else - like a switch is thrown. A trainer friend in the US had a working GSD who was also a chronic tail chaser. Again a neurological obsessive compulsive issue which unfortunately developed despite her being aware and working to try and correct the behaviour from the beginning.

Edited by espinay2

Elsie did it once or twice when she was really little. We had a giggle, then redirected with toys.

Have seen a very serious tail chaser that was PTS, he used to board at the kennels where I worked. A big GSD boy, would spend hours chasing and biting his tail... Most of his tail was bald and scabby, his kennel would get splattered with blood from him biting it, then chasing it around. Very sad.

Yes Ive had 2 tail chasers, both well bred ACD's, not related...

Didnt realise the problem even existed in my first spinner, thought it was cute, and didnt worry about it. Eventually had to have his tail amputated. I did use him at stud, in ignorance, but as far as I was able to ascertain, I dont think he produced any pups with it, but, I really cant be at all definate about that... After his tail was removed, he continued to spin, but thats all he did, it never eventuated into anything else, thank goodness :mad ...

The second dog was just recently, another male. He was being shown, and his career was unfortunately cut short. Tried everything with him, medication, behavior modification etc, etc. Nothing worked. Had to have half his tail removed, then he spun tighter circles, (very much regreted not removing his whole tail the first time), so had the rest removed in a second surgery... Thankfully he also hasnt exhibited any more disturbing traits, and he has been pet homed, to a wonderful person who says he hardly does it anymore, and if he looks like starting, he is very easily re-directed... Yes he was homed with FULL disclosure of his issue :) ...

I truely believe it is an increasing problem in ACD's, just such a shame a lot, (not all), of breeders are burying their heads in the sand on this issue :mad ...

Edited by rajacadoo

I don't know if this is relevant, but I've taught my Kelpie to spin (both ways). This was done through luring. Could this become a problem? Should i drop this trick from his repErtoire?

I have never seen him spinning without a cue or chasing his tail.

I've just taught my 2 to spin on cue as well & was wondering the exact same thing. Neither of mine do it without being asked.