Why Would A Dog

Odin-Genie

As the title says, one of my dogs showed a lot of interest in horse and cow poos when we recently went for a holiday in a farm area. This dog hasn't ever touched his own poo or any other dogs' poo. What could be attractive in a horse/cow poo?

As the title says, one of my dogs showed a lot of interest in horse and cow poos when we recently went for a holiday in a farm area. This dog hasn't ever touched his own poo or any other dogs' poo. What could be attractive in a horse/cow poo?

The theory is it provides their greens/veges. Wild dogs/wolves etc would be eating poo but before it comes out of the animal ie from the stomach contents.

These animals ferment their food in their gut, as cellulose is very hard to break down eating it post digestion (in gut content or poo form) would be very wise as you would be getting a high nutritional value of compounds a dogs gut cannot break down.

Scout loves my horse's and goat's poo, he even loves freshly dropped roo poo [which is in abundance around the house with the local mob of roos hanging around].

His favourite game is horse pom pom poo, if he's lucky to find two bits of horse poo with some horse hair binding the two together....holds one end and swings it around :laugh:

EFS

Edited by Noishe

Stella loves just about any sort of poo. She either has a quick nibble till I rouse at her or if she has just been washed or had her Advantix put on her she will very quickly roll in it. Wonderful stuff !! :laugh:

It is just what dogs do

All my dogs will eat horse poo if they are around where the horses have been, also roo poo they love rolling in it too.

You could try training them to leave it, but really there is nothing sinister about it.

My dogs go nuts for duck poo - like BC Crazy said they love to roll in it too! This is why walk to the river are followed by baths at home! :laugh:

Be careful of duck poos it can carry some nasties.

My dogs go nuts for duck poo - like BC Crazy said they love to roll in it too! This is why walk to the river are followed by baths at home! :laugh:

Be careful of duck poos it can carry some nasties.

Ohhh thats good to know because Ruby always tries to eat the duck poo at the football field we take her to for her to run around.

We try to stop her when she eats it but she can be sneaky and eat it before we can stop her. :mad

A few weeks ago had delivery of garden soil to top up the garden beds. The mix consisted of nice big chucks of horse manure. Zoe went nuts trying to scoff them down. Had to get out the pick and break them up into the soil so she would leave it alone.

I probably should of learnt my lesson from a few years back when I spread "rooster booster" on the lawn and she made herself ill hoovering it up. :(

My dogs eat poo. Any kind, they're not fussy - horse, kangaroo, possum, goat, cow, SHEEP and the list goes on :rofl:

If I am really honest (albeit disgusting!!) I would prefer them to eat it that roll in it... at least I don't have to wash them after :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Why? Because they can.

Clearly they enjoy it. And frankly I'd rather them eat that than cat poo!! eeeuuuu

True. However my dog is extra clean. He tiptoes around dog poo and would not pick up his ball if it rolls into the part of the backyard where my dogs do their poos. Once he peed on his favourite ball by mistake. And didn't touch it till I washed it with soap!!

He would never ever roll in dog poo. Which is why I was very surprised by his interest in cow/horse poo!!!

Edited by Odin-Genie

Wild dogs/wolves etc would be eating poo but before it comes out of the animal ie from the stomach contents.

Not commonly .... stomach content is pretty disgusting- very acid and not pleasant.

Eating herbivore manure is perfectly normal :) Our dogs just love it , too.