Any News On Ned Please?

Poor bloody dog. Being shunted from his home to another (clueless) home, back again, then dumped in the pound, rescued by the wrong person, then to kennels then another home in a different state......I'd be aggro too.

His owners should have PTS instead of trying to rehome an old dog with problems.

RIP Ned. :rainbowbridge:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came in here to see how Ned was doing, Efowler I am so sorry to hear this. I know you really tried for him and you must be really upset. Thank you again for helping both Ned and I out by giving him a better chance. I really appreciate all you did and know without a doubt that you would have made the right decision as it was a very public and difficult case. *hugs* RIP Ned.

I came in here to see how Ned was doing, Efowler I am so sorry to hear this. I know you really tried for him and you must be really upset. Thank you again for helping both Ned and I out by giving him a better chance. I really appreciate all you did and know without a doubt that you would have made the right decision as it was a very public and difficult case. *hugs* RIP Ned.

Very graciously put. Glad to know you are okay

I feel sorry for so many here. First of all I am sorry for the dog. RIP Ned. I am also sorry for all the casualties along the way - Mixeduppup, Kermac, and efowler, and for the people who did the temperament test at the pound, and for the rangers at the pound, and everybody else who has tried to help Ned. I believe all these people have done their best by this dog.

MUP particularly.

The thread is quite scathing.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/239729-rip-ned/page__st__15

Instead of trying to rehome a dog with aggression issues (and I believe they must have been obvious from the beginning) the original owner should have done the right thing by the dog and taken responsibility for the situation.

Not necessarily.

I dont know what the answers are, but it seems many assumptions made about Ned and his actuality, and making more now about the original owner will be to no avail also.

As someone else wrote, it was a train wreck. And now it's finished.

I was not really trying to blame the original owner (I probably did not express myself very well) because I know nothing about him/her, it's more a general statement that owners are responsible for their dogs from the moment they come into their homes, often as cute little pups, until the very end.

A sad situation all round that could have been solved if Ned's original owners had of manned up and done the right thing by Ned and were by his side while he went to sleep but alas this was left to strangers to fix

I feel for you Emma, its never an easy decision to make but am glad for Ned's sake that it is now over

RIP Ned :rainbowbridge:

DA was never even proposed until after Ned left by that new member. At the kennels n mixeduppup he did not exhibit it at all. By unprovoked I am referring to random DA, not around food and no particular type of dog.

efowler, firstly I should write that I have brought a dog from the pound only for the dog to seriously go for me after its arrival; I've also hauled dogs interstate and rehomed with a DA-PTS outcome - so I'm not intending to make personal criticism.

From my experience with kennels and DA dogs, dogs with a propensity to exhibit DA, can be inhibited at kennels.

I know for some of my own dogs, that when I go away and they stay at the kennels, the kennel owner looks at me like I am making it up when I tell them why some dogs need to be kept segregated - because to the kennel owner the dog's demeanor in the kennel belies the dog's actuality.

Kennels are not very helpful in assessing DA because the dogs know their personal space is segregated, and there are less people/objects to be territorially aggressive or fearful over, or shared resources to possess. There's also a lot of movement, other dogs coming and going for a dog to be sure of itself wrt its environment.

I am referring to random DA, not around food and no particular type of dog.

Sorry I still dont understand what you mean by random DA. If there is a new dog (Ned) in the proximity of other already established dogs, then the DA is not random.

If Ned is anxious or prone to nervousness, the DA is not random.

I've known a number of DA dogs and always from the dogs' point of view their DA is not random; it is not restricted to food or type of dog. More often than not, it is circumstantial.

Neds DA may look 'unprovoked', but I read a dog with a ? over its nerves and suitability to live with another adult dog, particularly adult dogs of the same sex/age group; and then in a high stress situation, more upheaval etc

that dog is moved to a new environment with other dogs ... it is setting the dog up to fail somewhat.

To ask any dog to adjust its perception of itself and the world around it, is a big ask. Particularly an 11yo. And the dog does not have many options available to express its innate discomfort, insecurity, fear at the new world order it finds itself in.

I am not saying that Ned was rehomeable or that ned was not DA.

I am saying (I think :o :) ) that Ned was a huge undertaking and high risk rehome prospect and this was not realised because of Ned's appearance, and maybe because of what people wanted Ned to be.

Edited by lilli

I think everyone wanted to help Ned. No one likes to see an old dog dumped by owners who can't be arsed dealing with him. I agree that the original owners should have done the right thing by Ned instead of instigating the tragedy of errors that then ensued. Ned may have done very well in a single dog home with an experienced GS owner but we won't know that now because no one seems to have tried that. The assumption always seems to be that a dog will be okay in a multi-dog home and that isn't always the case. Thank you to efowler for giving him his wings.

I am so sad to read this. Thank you efowler for being with Ned at the Ned at the end.

Ned's original owners have a lot to answer for, spineless, gutless bars people who I hope never get another pet in their lives.

So very very sorry.

Thank you to everyone that tried to help Ned. So much effort went into trying to help him.

Thanks Emma for being there with him and having the courage to do the right thing.

R.I.P Ned.

Be happy and run free.

Edited by MelissaS

I was very sorry to hear about Ned but am glad that at the end, someone who cared about him was there for him.

About this comment:

Ned may have done very well in a single dog home with an experienced GS owner but we won't know that now because no one seems to have tried that.

I think the issue is that it is frequently the case that an experienced GS owner is more likely than not to already own a dog - whether a GS or not. While I'm sure there must be experienced GS owners out there who are without a dog from time to time and are therefore in a position to take in a dog that doesn't get along well with others - there's the timing issue. In this instance, Ned had already been moved from place to place and given his age and history, it would probably have been cruel to keep him in a holding pattern until the appropriate home came along. Poor Ned - there was a lot of bad luck and bad timing for him :'(

I thought it was wonderful that so many people tried to help Ned. I know this is a purebred forum but I am just a little concerned that if he had been a young healthy mutt in a similar situation he may not have been given so many options.

I thought it was wonderful that so many people tried to help Ned. I know this is a purebred forum but I am just a little concerned that if he had been a young healthy mutt in a similar situation he may not have been given so many options.

Hi Padraic - I'm sure some will have differing views but I think that a lot of the reason for the attention was his age. I think that for any dog lover, the thought of such an old dog being dumped at the pound during his twilight years is quite heart-breaking. I'm sure that the purebred element was in the minds of some but certainly not in the minds of many of us ...

Hi Padraic - I'm sure some will have differing views but I think that a lot of the reason for the attention was his age. I think that for any dog lover, the thought of such an old dog being dumped at the pound during his twilight years is quite heart-breaking. I'm sure that the purebred element was in the minds of some but certainly not in the minds of many of us ...

Yes maybe you are right. I know I was originally concerned that he might be cold and being old possibly arthritic as well.

I will bend over backwards and every which way for a Saluki or an Afghan. I won't for other breeds and mixed breeds. As we are a wide and diverse community I don't see a problem with that. Resources are finite, rescuers have different expertise, and people prioritise as they see fit. While his age was a factor, I'm sure the fact he was a pure bred Gordon was also a factor. It doesn't mean that his life is worth more than any other life, but this is a pure breed forum, and given the ethics many pure breed people live by, it's bothersome to see any papered dog wind up in rescue, and many people (including myself) tend to put out more effort to "clean up after our own".

I will bend over backwards and every which way for a Saluki or an Afghan. I won't for other breeds and mixed breeds. As we are a wide and diverse community I don't see a problem with that. Resources are finite, rescuers have different expertise, and people prioritise as they see fit. While his age was a factor, I'm sure the fact he was a pure bred Gordon was also a factor. It doesn't mean that his life is worth more than any other life, but this is a pure breed forum, and given the ethics many pure breed people live by, it's bothersome to see any papered dog wind up in rescue, and many people (including myself) tend to put out more effort to "clean up after our own".

I agree completely with SSM.

1344833053[/url]' post='5927756']

I will go out of my way to help a wheaten or a kerry but I don't have the resourcing or the knowledge to help other breeds aside from donating a little money where I can. That might seem a bit rough to some people but I'll point out what happened to Ned as an example of why experienced people are the best for some breeds.