Apartment Poochies!

Steph M

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mini Smooths can be barkers & the Mini Longs .

Std Smooths loyal Guard dogsa.

My favs are the Std long as they are so Setter like in many ways .

I also handled them for many years & they are referred to as the mini Irish Setters as they have that gundog nature & love life fully.

I guess what you need to consider with a Frenchie is the eyes as with Pugs ,if the cats swipe they are more at risk of eye injury but it can happen in any breed.

Yes some breeds can be barkers but it also comes down to what people except & as we say to our puppy owners what is cute at 8 weeks isn't at 12 months .

Poodles can be barkers so really any breed can fail there.

The key is as someone will be home all the time is teaching the dog to be independent & not needy when left alone .

What about Chi's, too small? They're cool little dudes.

No no, they're on the list! They're ballsy little guys! One lady near us has one she takes to our local cafe and orders him his own sausage, he looks like he's got things totally sorted and exudes smug!

I guess what you need to consider with a Frenchie is the eyes as with Pugs ,if the cats swipe they are more at risk of eye injury but it can happen in any breed.

Yes some breeds can be barkers but it also comes down to what people except & as we say to our puppy owners what is cute at 8 weeks isn't at 12 months .

Poodles can be barkers so really any breed can fail there.

The key is as someone will be home all the time is teaching the dog to be independent & not needy when left alone .

Yeah, I did think of that too. They'd have to be monitored until they all worked out how to interact with each other in any case.

I would worry initially anyway, Hector is a biiiiig kitty. Haha.

That's a good point, and I'd have to train BF to be consistent too, he wrestles the cats and it drives me nutty when they think it's okay to chomp my hands. Haha. Sacrifice your own, boy!

Which is another tip of the cap to puppy school, can send them both off and read a book in the sun ;)

You're right showdog, I wish I'd been much tougher on Riley's barking from day one, exactly as you said a baby puppy yip is much less annoying than a grown up bark! Lesson learnt with my 3rd pup, she's much quieter. I was lucky with my Poodle x as he was always quiet, except he will alert bark sometimes.

Steph, Riley certainly is a character, and my "problem child" but he has more than enough good qualities to make up for it - not that I would recommend a Sheltie for your situation!! When I was choosing which breed tho it was a close toss up between Sheltie and Pug, I do love them :)

[

The Tibetan Spaniels sound lovely! I'm more worried about the cat being too much for a puppy, to be honest! He really drives them mad wanting to wrestle and play chase, even the other cat who's only 2 and loves to play gets tired of him and takes himself to bed.

We came the other way round. We own 2 Tibetan Spaniels who behave exactly like Helen & Miki described by ESCS. This breed was bred for centuries to be close companion dogs in the monasteries of Tibet. So they're lovely, easy mainly indoor dogs.

We wanted a puss-cat to fit in with the Tibs. Got help from the UQ Adoption Program to pick one, Sarah. The staff tested all the cats with dogs... and Sarah came out as happy to have a dog around.

Sarah gets on great with our Tibbies....but absolutely loves the playful Tibbie next door, Lily. They have happy chases around the house (doesn't matter who is chasing who)... the games end with a big kiss.

Maybe you could look at adopting an adult of whatever breed you finally prefer? And you could specially look for one who already lives happily around a cat. Also it'd be evident if it was a barker or not. As others have said, that's a critical issue in apartment living.

But, then, you might prefer to start with a puppy & train from the beginning.

FAQ about Tibbies here. Also photos... one with a puss:

http://www.tibbies.net/faq.html

Edited by mita

[

The Tibetan Spaniels sound lovely! I'm more worried about the cat being too much for a puppy, to be honest! He really drives them mad wanting to wrestle and play chase, even the other cat who's only 2 and loves to play gets tired of him and takes himself to bed.

We came the other way round. We own 2 Tibetan Spaniels who behave exactly like Helen & Miki described by ESCS. This breed was bred for centuries to be close companion dogs in the monasteries of Tibet. So they're lovely, easy mainly indoor dogs.

We wanted a puss-cat to fit in with the Tibs. Got help from the UQ Adoption Program to pick one, Sarah. The staff tested all the cats with dogs... and Sarah came out as happy to have a dog around.

Sarah gets on great with our Tibbies....but absolutely loves the playful Tibbie next door, Lily. They have happy chases around the house (doesn't matter who is chasing who)... the games end with a big kiss.

Maybe you could look at adopting an adult of whatever breed you finally prefer? And you could specially look for one who already lives happily around a cat. Also it'd be evident if it was a barker or not. As others have said, that's a critical issue in apartment living.

But, then, you might prefer to start with a puppy & train from the beginning.

Hee hee - you got in before me! ; P

I was about to say something very similar! I have a tibbie x (but he looks/acts very much like a tib). This has been my first encounter with them and I am now a paid up member of the fan club!

My little man is extremely adaptable - quite happy to join me on runs or on the sofa, cuddles or play wrestling. My (ex-marine) mans man of a partner loves him to bits.....they really aren't just 'fluffy little dogs' ; P

Now I think you want a puppy (right?) and this little man may not be right, but I have to share the link: http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/157931

I've been 'watching' this guy for a while, love his 'smile' :)

Boston terriers are very, very active dogs. They're also very rare - much more so than franchise. How much exercise are you willing to give the dog every day? I used ho live in a house with no garden and the thing to remember is that you need to exercise them rain, hail or shine because this is the only outside time they get. I also believe they need morning and evening sessions every day to break things up. Dogs also need vitamin D which can be hard in winter when thru can't sun in the yard while you're at work.

Guest donatella

Most little breeds can be yappers however you'll find the

most common breeds in apartments and units are the smaller 'yapper' reputation ones and people make it work.

Guest donatella

I fostered a Chi and he was very quiet! Rarely heard peep from him.

They're definitely big dogs in little dogs bodies.

Edited by donatella

I think there's a difference between barking as a breed trait and barking for attention etc etc. I wouldn't have thought barking was an ideal trait in Toy breeds historically because it would be annoying! Possibly a reputation brought about by owners treating them as toys, not dogs, and teaching them to be demanding?? (not DOLers, but we all know they're out there...)

Herding breeds do use their voices for working so it makes sense that the trait is pretty ingrained and harder to train out (not making excuses for my own situation!)

I don't know how Spitz breeds fit into that, would they use their voices in their work?

Back to Steph tho, I would think you'd be pretty safe with most of the toy breeds so long as you talk to the breeder and be consistent with your training and discipline from day 1.

Edited by Saxonpup

Guest donatella

I think there's a difference between barking as a breed trait and barking for attention etc etc. I wouldn't have thought barking was an ideal trait in Toy breeds historically because it would be annoying! Possibly a reputation brought about by owners treating them as toys, not dogs, and teaching them to be demanding?? (not DOLers, but we all know they're out there...)

Herding breeds do use their voices for working so it makes sense that the trait is pretty ingrained and harder to train out (not making excuses for my own situation!)

I don't know how Spitz breeds fit into that, would they use their voices in their work?

Back to Steph tho, I would think you'd be pretty safe with most of the toy breeds so long as you talk to the breeder and be consistent with your training and discipline from day 1.

A million times agree here

Steph, it sounds to me as though you are pretty switched in and will make any breed work.

That said I would suggest you avoid Terriers and Working dogs.

I would also suggest you insist OH "lose" the wrestling. If you want a calm, quiet adult dog, raise it that way. Wrestling will almost definitely invite barking. Buy him a gym membership or a boxing bag instead perhaps :)

I don't wrestle my dogs until they are old and mature enough to fully understand their off switch, "quiet" and "enough". That said, I am not really a fan of wrestling animals period. I know many are, and that's fine for them, but I think for your environment, it is important to keep the noise down as much as possible.

Edited by dyzney

I'd go for a Chi, they have so much spunk and are very cuddly. COuld be a bit barky though? Ours were a wee bit yappy but they were crossed with JRT. Guess it depends on the dog.

Other than that a Pug. I've told my OH that we're getting a Pug one day. So much attitude :laugh:

A whippet could be suitable too.

You sound like a great owner so I'm sure you will fidn something that suits :) Good luck!

Edited by Aussie3