Apartment Poochies!

Steph M

Hi everyone! My name's Steph and I have been ogling these forums for a few weeks now, looking for some good info on various breeds.

Problem is, we don't want to bring a puppy into a home it doesn't enjoy, so I'm going to ask for your advice!

I'm pretty thick skinned, so please don't hesitate to tell me if I'm way off the mark anywhere, or something contradicts. Any info helps!

I'm 24, going on 25 and live with my lovely, lovely boyfriend in a 2 bedroom flat in St Kilda, Melbourne.

It's not a huge flat, we don't have a balcony or a yard, but outside is a green, communal fenced area with lots of grass, trees and herbs, for piddle time and play time. The neighbours are all very friendly, there's the beach nearby, park and we both like lazy breakfasts out, drives and visiting friends and family both in the state, and in NSW.

We currently have 2 cats, a Bengal x, who grew up with my mums dogs and consequently thinks every dog is his best friend (which was somewhat concerning in my previous house as he'd happily wander up to strange dogs on the street, giving me quite a heart attack at times!) he loves to play and gets very excited when the dogs (a shih tzu, very senior english setter and a maltese) come to visit.

We also have a Persian, so grooming is not a big issue when it comes to deciding, who is the light of my boyfriends life. He spoils them both terribly and their every little movement is reported back to me at the end of the day.

I work 9-5, there are no long days or odd hours for me, but he works from home with software design, so he's always about and as I mentioned, is super attentive to the critters, including mum's dogs, who he dotes over as well, more so than he does to me!

He likes to wrestle with the cats, which they love, so I'm conscious we find a breed who's fairly rough and tumble, but am also aware he will have to keep this in check to avoid issues when puppy isn't so tiny any more...

I wake up early, am quite happy to go for a twice daily walk most days, once is more likely in this awful weather though!

Weekends we can easily commit to puppy school, as I think it would benefit us both as well.

I've always had dogs and miss having one, as wonderful as my cats are, they're very different creatures and we're discussing the possibility of another furry friend, as we don't plan on being in this flat forever, and are slowly looking to move to a little house with a yard, but right now we're still getting our bearings here and in no rush, as it's just starting to feel like home here.

We've both always had dogs growing up, from English Setters, to Terriers and Cattle Dogs to Staffies

We are looking for a small breed, something equally happy to play, nap on the couch, snuggle or go for a nice big walk on a weekend.

Coat isn't a big deal, the easier the better, but grooming is not a big factor.

We don't have stairs inside, however there is one flight up to the flat.

We can easily gate off the laundry, rather than have a crate. And piddle pads work wonders and would be right at home with the litter tray there. Haha.

We're not hugely active people, not much for hiking/jogging etc, but do like a good amble round the park, or around albert park etc.

What we really want is a dog who will be happy to be indoors for the most part, with people around, cat friends and people friends.

Any other questions, feel free. I think I've been pretty thorough, if not too much so! Haha.

I've been thinking perhaps a Frenchie, or something similar, but seeing as the majority of you on here have a breed or two that you show, breed or otherwise champion I felt like this was the best place to come to ask, you all know your breeds and dogs so well that any suggestions would be most, most welcome!

Steph.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working with dogs and puppies in inner city Melbourne for the last 7 years and have seen a number of dogs and pups in apartments- some have worked well, others have not.

Breeds i would consider depending on how much training you're willing to do, whether you want something 'easy' to train or happy to have something more independent-

Havanese (i think this breed is seriously under rated)

Cavalier

Japanese Spitz

Bichon frise

Tibetan Spaniel

It sounds like you could offer a great home for a puppy. Choose your breeder carefully- a good breeder will be very valuable in helping to choose a puppy with a personality most suited to your situation.

Guest donatella

A Pomeranian would fit your situation perfectly. My girl lived in a unit at first with no grass or backyard and no we live in a townhouse with a small courtyard but she's rarely out there, she'd prefer to be inside wherever I am! Independent, heaps of personlity, cute as a button, grooming isn't as bad as people make out, brush a few times a week and bath once a month. They grow to about 2kg and there is a wonderful wonderful Pom breeder in Melbourne actually who has beautiful Poms, show quality and she's a lovely, very knowledgeable lady (she has actually sold Poms to P Diddy in the USA :laugh: ).

I'm about to get Pomeranian number 2 actually and living in a smaller house doesn't bother me at all as they are much happier to be with their humans. :D

pick the Pom hehe

pomeranian-and-cats-580x345.jpg

Don't think they're not up for a bit of sport either, there's a Pom here in Qld that's in the Masters at Agility

527185_10151098046054827_1927729509_n.jpg

391484_10151098044824827_565112519_n.jpg

Edited by donatella

I do know a few apartment pugs but just be prepared for the shedding, snorting and activity level- also, many will disagree but i have found black pugs to be much more active than their fawn counterparts!

French bulldogs are another option but you may have a long wait and they will be pricey.

That's it, we're not silly enough to think anything would train itself, and half the fun is puppy school and training! It's such a great bonding thing too, which is always nice.

I don't know much about the Havanese, other than basic. I will have a look at some stuff!

Yeah, a great breeder is a must, as much as I would love, love, love to take in a pound puppy I just wouldn't want to get a year down the track and realise he/she is miserable because there's some working breed instinct from way back that's being left to languish on the couch.

Plus the differences between a well-bred dog like our family English Setter, who's 13 now, always had a lovely, even temperament, no major health issues until fairly recently and the resident Shih-Tzu, a pet shop reject (I was young and dumb! Was my first job, she was the last to sell and about to 'disappear' as they did, sadly) who has had the full gamut of health issues, including losing an eye, allergies, kneecaps that have minds of their own, and a lot of little phobias and jealousy. She is adorable, and ever so sweet but I would love to avoid all that if possible, and focus on the happy stuff!

I've heard the Spitz can be a bit, barky? Correct me if I'm wrong, and again, I know it all comes down to training and conditioning, but the predisposition exists?

We did look at pugs, the shedding isn't a huge deal, as the cats make sure I'm prepared for that, even the inside of my car is covered in fluff and they certainly don't get in there!

They seem like fun, and I do have a soft spot for the black ones, and though we do want something with a bit of spunk and spark, there's only so much hassling the cat can take, I'm sure!

Those Poms are loooovely! We recently babysat one for a few days and I did kiiiinda want to kidnap him, and you've got me sold on the P-Diddy point! HAHA.

Pricey is no big deal either, you get out what you put in and get what you pay for. I'd much rather 10 really great years than 5 average ones. Plus I am happy to support ethics, there's a woman who's been advertising very cheap, deaf frenchie pups online which just sounds so disastrous. Sigh.

Edited by Steph M

Guest donatella

They can probably be more barky then say a larger breed but that's only if you give them something to bark at. Mine will bark at people who come to the door and unknown noises but that's about it. The beauty of an indoor dog is they don't have outside noises to bark at. They don't bark unnecessarily at the walls.

Sorry about my enthusiasm here I never get to suggest my darling Poms as a suitable breed I got a bit over excited lol. You will find lots of expert advice here whichever breed you chose :D

Edited by donatella

If you like Frenchies - I assume you like the brachy-faced breeds?

Given that, and your preference for easier coats, I would suggest perhaps skip the bichon idea and go with either a Frenchie or a Boston Terrier. Both great little breeds.

Someone may also suggest a pug - which is great but I hear they are massive shedders so I am hesitating to recommend one for a small apartment (I don't have any direct experience though)

I also think that Border Terriers are absolutely wonderful dogs - very compact, smart honest looking dogs. A bit more energy, but honestly I want one of these dogs one day.

You lucky thing - your boyfriend sounds lovely :)

ETA: I actually love bichons and they are great dogs. I had a gorgeous bichon for 13 years and he died last year and is very much missed. So when I say skip the bichon it's not because they're not brilliant for your situation. Just because you indicated you preferred lower maintenance coats, and they have a high maintenance coat. Felt like I needed to add this - I think mainly out of respect for Mozart's memory! :o

Edited by Zug Zug

griffons are great little dogs too - well mine is anyway

They do like their exercise but also love nothing better than sitting on a lap chilling out

My one also copes with many dogs really well

They can probably be more barky then say a larger breed but that's only if you give them something to bark at. Mine will bark at people who come to the door and unknown noises but that's about it. The beauty of an indoor dog is they don't have outside noises to bark at. They don't bark unnecessarily at the walls.

We do live on a pretty big road, next to a school and across from an army base, which is silent unless it's bagpipes at 7am some sundays, on the second floor which looks over a tram stop, into the school yard and it's not the most quiet spot sometimes! But good point, I guess these would just become the normal sounds of home. You raise a good point!

If you like Frenchies - I assume you like the brachy-faced breeds?

Given that, and your preference for easier coats, I would suggest perhaps skip the bichon idea and go with either a Frenchie or a Boston Terrier. Both great little breeds.

Someone may also suggest a pug - which is great but I hear they are massive shedders so I am hesitating to recommend one for a small apartment (I don't have any direct experience though)

I also think that Border Terriers are absolutely wonderful dogs - very compact, smart honest looking dogs. A bit more energy, but honestly I want one of these dogs one day.

You lucky thing - your boyfriend sounds lovely :)

I am a bit of a sap for the odd looking critters, I will admit! Though the Persian cat can attest to my nonplussed approach to heavy or hard work coats, I quite like sitting down to give him a good brush after a long day. He just tolerates it in his kitty way....

I like their zip, mainly. And they seem like they're pretty spunky and cheeky! There's one who hangs out in the hairdressers down the road and wears a security jumper, she takes her job ever so seriously, you can tell!

That would be a factor, but alas, we swim in cat fur anyway, I've just splashed out on a Dyson, out of necessity, and boy do I love that decision! Black clothes are the bane of my existence!

They are gorgeous, however I think they might be a bit busy for our place, they look like a dog who would enjoy some yard at least!

He's a massive smoocher. Likes to do the typical "that's not a real dog" thing when hanging out with Noodle the Maltese, but really, we all know how much he adores him. It's funny to watch a 5kg white dog melt a 27 year old guy with one look. Sucker!

We have a couple of tibetan spaniels who would be very happy to live in a flat. They are independent, fairly laid back but playful. They are clean and well behaved indoors. I don't have cats but I think they are a breed that should be ok with cats. They don't have a high exercise requirement but ours enjoy going for a walk daily and we also spend time at the park a couple of times a week. They have a 'wash and wear' coat ( brush 2 to 3 times per week and bath every few weeks) . Generally, they just enjoy being around us and are happiest lounging around with us, watching TV .

I have friends who breed poms & i show Frenchies.

Poms are more active & more full on than frenchies & certainly can bark at walls if need be .

Frenchies are rare barkers & the noise they do make is very quiet compared to many breeds.

I also own Setters (english) .

To be honest any breed can fit in because it really does come down to owner effort .

Other breeds

Japanese Chin

Papillion

Whippets

Dachies

Really the list could be endless

I have friends who breed poms & i show Frenchies.

Poms are more active & more full on than frenchies & certainly can bark at walls if need be .

Frenchies are rare barkers & the noise they do make is very quiet compared to many breeds.

I also own Setters (english) .

To be honest any breed can fit in because it really does come down to owner effort .

Other breeds

Japanese Chin

Papillion

Whippets

Dachies

Really the list could be endless

How lucky are you! I go home every chance I get (often as it's only about a ten min drive) to 'visit mum' aka hang out with Perry, the english setter. He's 13, has failing eyesight and more than his share of old dog lumps but he's just the most loving, brilliant dog. I would love to have another some day

I did consider a dachshund, but have heard they have a predisposition to boredom bark? While we're home a lot, I can't help but fear if we were out all day that might come to the surface?

The Tibetan Spaniels sound lovely! I'm more worried about the cat being too much for a puppy, to be honest! He really drives them mad wanting to wrestle and play chase, even the other cat who's only 2 and loves to play gets tired of him and takes himself to bed.

Sounds like there are heaps of breeds that would suitable for you. I'd add mini or toy poodle to the list.

Totally agree with being careful about the barking in a city apartment, you don't want the neighbours to hate you ;) Unless your heart is set on a "barky" breed I wouldn't go for one. Also talk to the breeder you pick about the individual puppy you get.

I learnt this the hard way with my Sheltie - as soon as he had a voice he was the barkiest in his litter but I didn't realise what a problem it would be as he grew up. He does bark at "things" (unusual noises, someone at the door, dogs on tv, neighbours coming home) BUT he also barks

with excitement when playing with other dogs, seeing me, the cat walking past, getting food etc etc etc, and may well just bark at the walls!!

Sounds like there are heaps of breeds that would suitable for you. I'd add mini or toy poodle to the list.

Totally agree with being careful about the barking in a city apartment, you don't want the neighbours to hate you ;) Unless your heart is set on a "barky" breed I wouldn't go for one. Also talk to the breeder you pick about the individual puppy you get.

I learnt this the hard way with my Sheltie - as soon as he had a voice he was the barkiest in his litter but I didn't realise what a problem it would be as he grew up. He does bark at "things" (unusual noises, someone at the door, dogs on tv, neighbours coming home) BUT he also barks

with excitement when playing with other dogs, seeing me, the cat walking past, getting food etc etc etc, and may well just bark at the walls!!

hahaha!!! what a little character, as maddening as it must be!

everyone here is so helpful and lovely! I am ever so impressed! :)