Making The Transition Easier For Her!

MsDani

I've had my girl at work with me this week (we said goodbye to our male on Saturday) and today I'm dropping her off at home at lunch time!

It's the first time she'll be on her own (without him or us) she's 10 - so today it will only be 4 hours - but will increase her time to more over the next couple of days. I'm expecting to have problems with barking (previously we had problems before, so we blocked her access to that side of the yard, caught her in the act etc etc) so I'm expecting that.

But what can I do to keep her entertained? She's never been a toy dog, but is food motivated.

A big 'dinosaur' bone .. invest in a good solid treat ball ..and put her kibble meal in there :) make her 'iceblocks' an icecream container with chicken stock ..or plain water... .Into this put some apple slices, a few liver treats, a few pieces of kibble, a few pieces of cheese , and maybe a chicken wing Freeze solid..and give the whole thing to her when you leave :)

For future reference, get the big thigh bone cut lengthwise so she can get at the yummy marrow...
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">

yes it is yummy, but it is fat ..and some dogs have been quite ill from eating it ..their pancreas suffers.

My biggest thing was not to spoil Kaos after I lost Atlas. I changed nothing and it was harder on me than her.

I did have her in my bed one night, and she was shocking the next when she expected it again.

I have actually been harder on her since he has gone, but think if I wasn't and if I babyed her she will end up being a huge problem

Funny enough, it's the cat who is having the big issues with him not being here :(

Good luck

You may be surprised, Ms Dani, when our two girls passed away within 2 days of each other I thought our male would be devastated as he had never lived without other dogs - never missed a beat and was quite grumpy when we got a puppy 12 months later ......

I was going to say similar to a couple of others. When I lost Emma I thought that Kenzie would not cope at all (particularly as I also changed jobs at the same time and would be away from home longer than I had been previously), but I kept everything as much the same as I could and she coped better than I did!!! But I do leave her with treats when she's home on her own - lamb neck, kong, rawhide, treat ball, etc, etc (only 1, maybe 2 of those things on any one day though!!!).

I wouldn't change anything nor would i give any foods that are different with her age & any other reason to feel insecure.

Just go about it like its a normal day ,if she barks then deal with it.

If you speak with your neighbours go around & explain what has happened & ask then to alert you if she is barking.

You may find she reacts more to the being with you all week & then suddenly having nothing

She was super excited to see me after work today - if she wiggled her bum anymore I wouldn't have been suprised if she fell over! :)

I managed to get one of those treat ball things. We are trying to teach her how to use it, but because it's a toy, she's not really interested atm. But I think as soon as she realises it 'releases' food, it may be a different story.

A puppy....

We have discussed this! (another thing to feel guilty about lol) - because she loves to 'mother' - but I don't know if it's too soon for me? I've been researching a little bit on what would be the best dog for us and her - be it a puppy or rescue - JIC I change my mind.

I do like description of the British Bulldog - but their health problems concern me - or whippet or greyhound? But then again I don't know alot about these dogs, only what I have read.

Any other suggestions? After JR's I think I'd prefer something a bit more quiet - but my heart still lays with JR's though.