Playing Poo

ChewieTAG

Hi,

It bugs me how Snowy (shihtzu) occasionally plays with his poo.icon_smile_mad.gif I believe he leaves it alone when his poo is stinky. Like stink the whole house type of stink eek1.gif

He just plays with it, scratch and push it around.

I am so worry and hoping he won't eat it. I don't know why he suddenly does it. We did said 'No' when we saw him doing it. Most of the time we catch him on time, sometimes when he is alone and did his business, then might have missed it. However, he don't play it every time, just occasionally.

But WHY?????? crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif

I believe it's not his diet issue. He has all the nutrients he needs. Don't think so he is bored. But I got a feeling he is curious with his own poo. confused.gif

I am hoping he will grow out of it soon. Make me so stress out!

Anyone has experienced this?

..dogs do things humans find odd... and this is not a rare thing.

the best way I've found is to have 'poo patrol' a couple of times a day .. just scoop it up ..and it's gone!

Make sure yoor pup has plenty of things to chew and play with ...not things Humans love , things dogs love :) BIG beef bones , toilet rolls, tennis ball,.... a treat ball with dry food inside ....

My gorgeous boy not only plays with his poo - he rolls in and plays with all types of poo, horse, cow, other dogs!

It's a gross dog thing... we've learnt to keep baby wipes on hand to wash him down when we least expect we would need to! :rofl:

Why do you leave it there for him to play with :confused:

Didn't leave it there on purpose eek1.gif. What a question confused.gif

We don't monitor him pooing 24/7. But will always make sure we clean it up when he did / if we saw it.

It is just so happened that most of the time if we missed seeing him poo-ing and not catching it in time to clean it.

My gorgeous boy not only plays with his poo - he rolls in and plays with all types of poo, horse, cow, other dogs!

It's a gross dog thing... we've learnt to keep baby wipes on hand to wash him down when we least expect we would need to! :rofl:

I read it somewhere that it is dog's nature to roll in the poo? And others as well?

I have all kind of wipes with me just in case too! rofl1.gif

..dogs do things humans find odd... and this is not a rare thing.

the best way I've found is to have 'poo patrol' a couple of times a day .. just scoop it up ..and it's gone!

Make sure yoor pup has plenty of things to chew and play with ...not things Humans love , things dogs love :) BIG beef bones , toilet rolls, tennis ball,.... a treat ball with dry food inside ....

yeap, got him heaps of toys and treat balls laugh.gifthumbsup1.gif

clean up all the time. Just that if didn't pick it up 'on-time' then, he'll get the chance to play with it eek1.gif

Well my girl doesn't bother playing with it chewak, oh no Stella just tucks straight in & the sooner the better. Yuk ! :vomit: So I have to be very vigilant about picking up after her.

So if that's not revolting enough, Sonny's poo is also on the menu as far as Stella is concerned. I spend a lot of my mornings on "poo patrol" & late afternoons for that matter after dinner.

Stella is even worse when we are out walking, if it isn't worth eating she will just roll in it :o She has been like it since the day she arrived home & I have tried everything to deter her

to no avail apart from removing it as soon as it lands on the lawn. The things we do :crazy: :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

I read it somewhere that it is dog's nature to roll in the poo? And others as well?

Most dogs don't roll in their own poo or other dogs poo. They like rolling in possum, rabbit and cow poo because it smells good to them.

Oh yes, that's the one & only bonus with having to do the quick 'pick up' in our backyard due to a premium dry food / barf diet, it doesn't smell bad but not good enough to eat or wear it as my latest perfume :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

• 4 weeks later...

Most dogs don't roll in their own poo or other dogs poo. They like rolling in possum, rabbit and cow poo because it smells good to them.

True. My Elkhound has been very particular about avoiding dog poos and areas that may have dog poos since he was a puppy. He wouldn't even pick up his ball if it rolls into the poo area of the backyard!!!! But he likes kangaroo/cow poos as we discovered to our horror when we took him to a farm for vacation. My Goldy has no interest in any kind of poo but she happily rolled over a dead bird (with intestines hanging out) in a park. She was put under the tap and washed immediately and then was given a proper bath when we got home :eek:

• 1 month later...

:confused: I just wonder does dog find smelly stinky poo interesting or the smelly non so stinky poo interesting? :confused::confused:

Am I confusing you? You know how when sometimes we have trully stinky poo that suffocates you and poo that stinks but won't suffocate you.. Same as dogs.

I don't know if dogs plays with it because it really stinks or it doesn't stink so much and find something in there interesting.. :eek:

Perhaps it could be worse, my friend owns a young Vizsla and they live near the harbour in Sydney - a lot of people going fishing there and although there are public toilets available, people sometimes take a dump wherever they feel like it. Her dog rolls in it and she said it is really hard to get the smell out of his coat ...

I do poop patrols twice daily as I have a poo eater, pineapple only works for a while and then she starts up again.

Why do you leave it there for him to play with :confused:

Have you seen how tiny little dog poo can be ? Unless you see the dog go you may not spot it instantly.

No idea why some dogs do this but its worse with cat poo. A dog near a cat litter tray is like a woman with a box of chocolates :eek:

Hopefully its a passing phase.

Perhaps it could be worse, my friend owns a young Vizsla and they live near the harbour in Sydney - a lot of people going fishing there and although there are public toilets available, people sometimes take a dump wherever they feel like it. Her dog rolls in it and she said it is really hard to get the smell out of his coat ...

I do poop patrols twice daily as I have a poo eater, pineapple only works for a while and then she starts up again.

yuck.... people sometimes take dump wherever they like so irresponsible! gosh... and her dog rolls into it :vomit:

sometimes I really wonder what runs in the mind of dogs...