When To Ask The $$ Questions

dogmate

Hi,

I am about to start my search for a new pup. I know breeders would think its weird asking the price of a pup straight up but if things like health screening and what they feed, vax etc are already written on the website i'd ask that again but at some point i want to know the cost of the pup before putting my name down is it rude to ask in the first phone call. I have had dogs for over 20 yrs so know the ongoing costs (which we dont dare add up.... best not to know...)cost of trial and show entries vet bills etc but the inital cost of the pup when is the polite time and way to ask i would need to know as there is no way my husband will allow me to pay $3000 for a pup.

ask in your first call, not in your first question though :)

Exactly. There is no point in making several contacts if you find the puppy is out of your price range. I would think anyone was silly not to ask fairly soon.

I expect people to ask but I don't expect them to phone & start the conversation by saying how much is a pup. Many people have absolutely no idea of price.

I agree with the previous comments :) I have no problem with puppy buyers asking during their first contact, as long as it's not the first or the only thing they want to know. If the question isn't asked, then I will tell them during that initial contact anyway.

As a breeder i have no issues if people ask first BUT i think asking towards the ned of a general breed inquiry is better .

Most who phone us

Ask about the breed & we fill in the blanks,other breed info,health testing & we usually tell the price before people ask & what you get etc etc

I agree with the previous comments :) I have no problem with puppy buyers asking during their first contact, as long as it's not the first or the only thing they want to know. If the question isn't asked, then I will tell them during that initial contact anyway.

me too

Poor you having a husband that won't allow you to purchase something you want , is it just me that really can't handle this lol lol it's like running fingernails down a blackboard when I hear this... ..

Are you talking about a dog that you will not be able to meet the parents or see the environment they have been raised in? If you are then I guess asking the price first up is part and parcel but I would think if you can visit then building up a little rapour ( sp vague moment) first would be a better option and that would be a decision maker to either move to the next step of talking price etc or run away . Just me :-)

Guest donatella

Some breeders are really funny about price whereas others will put it on their ad or tell you straight up to easily omit those who can't afford or aren't willing to pay that price.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at an aussie shepherd. I have admired them for the past 10 years but after recently loosing our old kelpie girl i ahve just started to look at different breed options. I just didnt want to get on the wrong foot with a breeder but need to realistic if the breed is in my price range.

My husband does the same with me if hes going to make a large purchase, We both have to be in agreeance after all hopefully we will have the pup for at least 13 years.

Thanks

Hi,

I am about to start my search for a new pup. I know breeders would think its weird asking the price of a pup straight up but if things like health screening and what they feed, vax etc are already written on the website i'd ask that again but at some point i want to know the cost of the pup before putting my name down is it rude to ask in the first phone call. I have had dogs for over 20 yrs so know the ongoing costs (which we dont dare add up.... best not to know...)cost of trial and show entries vet bills etc but the inital cost of the pup when is the polite time and way to ask i would need to know as there is no way my husband will allow me to pay $3000 for a pup.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at an aussie shepherd. I have admired them for the past 10 years but after recently loosing our old kelpie girl i ahve just started to look at different breed options. I just didnt want to get on the wrong foot with a breeder but need to realistic if the breed is in my price range.

My husband does the same with me if hes going to make a large purchase, We both have to be in agreeance after all hopefully we will have the pup for at least 13 years.

Thanks

Hi Dogmate.

To give you an idea about the price of our breed and what some breeders do...

Our Australian Shepherds are sold for $1,000.00 on limit registration, which is in the lower price range for a pet Aussie.

Australian Shepherd parents need to have their hips scored prior to being bred. Australian Shepherd puppies need to be vaccinated and microchipped prior to sale.

Other tests (which we do) are Elbow Scoring, Eye Screening and DNA testing for CEA, HC, MDR1, NBT, and PRA. Our puppies come with the required microchip and vaccination, as well as a full health guarantee, worming, flea prevention, eye screening and a puppy folder full of information and photos etc.

Feel free to PM me here for more information on the breed. :)

Another thing to consider is...people often do a lot of planning, research etc. into breeds ask questions including price and will even put their names down on a number of waiting lists. All this may encompass a few years. The price may change. If putting your name on a list also check with your breeder if this is a fixed price.