Neighbour Rant

Squidgy

She is welcome to stay at any of our homes, the thing is she doesn't want to. She is very old and doesn't want to leave the only memories she has of my great uncle. In my opinion whether these people bought their homes or not they have no right to treat her this way, she should not have to move..we have talked to her about the possibility but it just makes her more upset

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wildthing

Taking a stab in the dark here, but the new neighbours may well be a differnt religion. Some religions deem dogs to be 'dirty animals' because the eat other animals excrement, hence the wearing of rubber gloves.

My suggestion would be to keep a diary of everything that happens on a daily basis. If that is done, then the diary can be used in a court of law as evidence. Photos with date and time are also admisable as evidence. I am speaking from experience.

Edited by Wildthing

At the very least she needs to keep a diary and contact the local council regarding the dogs. She needs to advise council that her dogs have been barking when the neighbours stick thier heads and hands over her fence and antagonise them. By keeping a diary, she is then able to dmeonstrate to council that her dogs are not nuisance barkers.

I have successfully defended my dogs with Council, when a neighbour wanted to complain about ours, yet the barking was caused by her banging polly pipe on the fence and setting them off.

She is welcome to stay at any of our homes, the thing is she doesn't want to. She is very old and doesn't want to leave the only memories she has of my great uncle. In my opinion whether these people bought their homes or not they have no right to treat her this way, she should not have to move..we have talked to her about the possibility but it just makes her more upset

:( No they have no right to treat her that way. I would do what Pav said, have her keep a diary and proactively contact the council herself so she gets in before they do. Good luck.

Set up a camera .Is there somewhere the dogs could go for a while untill she decides what to do.I can understand she wants to stay in her own home but i think these people will not let up and she shouldn't have to have this worry.I'm surprised the police did not at least speak to them about making threats to her dogs safety.Perhaps it may be an idea to get an intervention order on the neighbours to stop them putting thier hands and head over the fence and knocking on the door with threats.

That is such a crappy situation for your aunt, Thundercat. I don't care what religion or nationality these new people are; it doesn't give them the right to threaten or impose it on others. If they don't like dogs, fine. That gives them no right to demand your aunt get rid of her dogs. Why don't they just stay away and ignore your aunt if she's so distressing to them? No one is forcing them to interact with your aunt. :shrug:

Definitely get your aunt to keep a journal of these events to her best ability. Also, does she have friends within the community too who could help stick up for her and the dogs?

It's such a horrible situation to live in and she shouldn't be forced out of her home because of a**hats. :mad

The police say that it is her word against theirs basically. And that they have a right to hate animals etc etc and she needs to be more understanding to their beliefs and consider getting rid of the dogs if that is what it will take to calm the situation down.

..and that is terribly useful and empathetic advice.

NOT.

The poor lady ..she is not all that old .

.and memories of her husband , while I appreciate the home holds lots ...if she moves, she can maybe take favourite plants, rugs, etc ..and perhaps someone can do a photo essay of the house & garden..so she then has the visual links to those good memories?

If she is forced to give up her dogs ..then my fear would be she has not much to live for ..and that house full of good memories would maybe feel like a tomb .

Constant worry and fear is not good for her health ....and her stress may in turn, alter the dogs' behaviour .

My suggestions are some counselling , someone objective to aid her in sorting things thru in her mind , and for someone to perhaps start gently looking at different accommodation

If she gets an intervention order the police will knock on thier door and read through the order and they will sign it and be obliged to do as it says by law.Put on the order that they must not make false reports to council.If they do make a complaint to council they then have to prove the claims or they could be in breach of the order.Then you call the council and explain what has happened and that you have an intervention order in place.

efs

Edited by Purdie

As you have said they keep sticking their heads and hands over the fence to harass the poor dogs just to make a point that they do not like dogs, there are countries that consider dogs unclean, so they would have known that there were dogs on your Gr Aunt's property, or maybe not as they are so well behaved and were not provoked at the time of them looking at their new home, that is beside the point though, what I would be doing is getting a video camera and set it up so that when the dogs start barking switch the camera on, then you will have visual proof, same if they come to the front door, if she has a peep hole in the door she would know who was there banging on the door go get the camera and video them hassling her. :mad

Thanks guys for all the advice, info and support. I will be passing this all onto my Gr Aunt :heart:

and Yes I have changed my name to Squidgy , reason: my newphew called me a squidgy last week and it has stuck with me ever since haha

They can complain to the council, they can complain to the RSPCA. Neither of them can do anything without any proof. Sure it might not be a pleasant experience being investigated, but if the dogs are well behaved, and only bark when confronted and not aggressively then they have no leg to stand on. And the RSPCA can only do something if the animals are being cruely treated. Personaly I would be keeping the dogs inside, that way they cannot be hurt by them, etc. It is not as though she has to be at work all day or the like at her age. The dogs should be fine inside, any well behaved dog should be. Any proof that you have of the dog being healthy and well behaved, will also help. If the dog has had any obedience training, that will help, vaccination records, etc will help. Dogs being desexed also looks good, as they are less likely to be aggressive. Those things should not be necessary, but they can help. If the dogs are as you say, anyone who knows the slightest things about dogs should be able to see it.

There are no excuses for what they are doing. I would be logging everything. The police honeslty are quite powerless they cannot do anything unless they can prove it, and it is a he said, she said situation, which is not proof of anything.

I would say it is a cultural thing, not religious. Muslims are not religiously against dogs. They consider dog salvia, not dogs themselves to be dirty. They say that if a dog licks you the area they lick should be washed 7 times!! The Koran also states that ALL animals should be treated with the atmost respect, fed, sheltered from elements and treated humanely. BUT in the countries they are from, most people are living in povety, dogs are everywhere and those dogs often have rabies, people die from dog bites, as they contract rabies. They cannot comprehend that dogs in this country are not like the ones in the countries they are from. I would also agree with others, more than likely they could well have lived in areas in which dogs in Australia were very poorly treated and were very aggressive.

That does not mean they will always be that way. Being around well behaved dogs can actually teach them a lot. I had a friend who lived in a three story block of flats, when she got her first guide dog. Half of the flats were full of people from different cultural backgrounds and they freaked at the site of the guide dog. They swore at her, tried to stop her from coming out, and deliberately got in her way. Having to toilet the dog in the nature strip did not help. Some friendly Australian neighbours ended up being with her for the first month, at the dogs toileting times, and they would also meet her at the bus stop when she was coming home, etc. They calmed down within a few months, and within 12 months they were all patting and playing with the dog - the problem they had then was trying to explain to them about the harness and while it was fine to pat the dog some times, other times it was not. They also became much better at coping with other dogs in the neighbourhood and one of them even got a cat, realising that animals in Australia are very different.

There are no excuses for what they are doing.

Guest lavendergirl

My mother has rang them for her, because she rang her crying on the phone terrified for her dogs... yes My uncle used to serve in the forces so thanks for that recommendation.

I understand that people are allowed to dislike dogs and I understand that she doesn't own her land. What I mean by private is that it is only her and another person in the street that live in public housing, they have sold the rest off and she is the second last one left.

The police say that it is her word against theirs basically. And that they have a right to hate animals etc etc and she needs to be more understanding to their beliefs and consider getting rid of the dogs if that is what it will take to calm the situation down. They have made up so many lies, saying that the dogs have jumped the fence, I would love to know how they jumped 6ft colorbond fences!!!

have attacked their children :rofl: sorry have to laugh as if these dogs attacked someone it would be reported .morons..... I just don't know how long she has left as she is not well either, and these idiots are making her life hell. They have even called the RSPCA saying the dogs are neglected :/ as I have said to them myself, so what is it make up your mind? they are neglected , they are dangerous what is seriously!!!! I don't know what I will do if she ends up dying over the stress :(

:eek: What sort of response is that? This lady is just trying to live quietly with her dogs and is not bothering anybody. It is disgraceful for an elderly lady to be subjected to that and to be told to get rid of the dogs to appease others cultural beliefs in her own community. That is just not acceptable.

I suggest she contact her local member and complain. Perhaps they can arrange a representative of the culture concerned to speak to these people about tolerance.

This is harassment and if she likes she can report them to the housing authority or police.

and then , if/when they are spoken to .........the behaviour may well escalate :( fences & doors are flimsy things...and a lady alone ...

One has to be careful..if this is the "minority group" it sounds like they truly do believe dogs are filth. :(

That won't change in a few generations...certainly not in time to benefit your Great Aunt. Also they come from a Country that is not afraid of conflict....

My mother has rang them for her, because she rang her crying on the phone terrified for her dogs... yes My uncle used to serve in the forces so thanks for that recommendation.

I understand that people are allowed to dislike dogs and I understand that she doesn't own her land. What I mean by private is that it is only her and another person in the street that live in public housing, they have sold the rest off and she is the second last one left.

The police say that it is her word against theirs basically. And that they have a right to hate animals etc etc and she needs to be more understanding to their beliefs and consider getting rid of the dogs if that is what it will take to calm the situation down. They have made up so many lies, saying that the dogs have jumped the fence, I would love to know how they jumped 6ft colorbond fences!!!

have attacked their children :rofl: sorry have to laugh as if these dogs attacked someone it would be reported .morons..... I just don't know how long she has left as she is not well either, and these idiots are making her life hell. They have even called the RSPCA saying the dogs are neglected :/ as I have said to them myself, so what is it make up your mind? they are neglected , they are dangerous what is seriously!!!! I don't know what I will do if she ends up dying over the stress :(

:eek: What sort of response is that? This lady is just trying to live quietly with her dogs and is not bothering anybody. It is disgraceful for an elderly lady to be subjected to that and to be told to get rid of the dogs to appease others cultural beliefs in her own community. That is just not acceptable.

I suggest she contact her local member and complain. Perhaps they can arrange a representative of the culture concerned to speak to these people about tolerance.

I would still be contacting the Police and asking for these incidences to be recorded........also alot can depend on which Officer you talk to.

This lady is just trying to live quietly with her dogs and is not bothering anybody. It is disgraceful for an elderly lady to be subjected to that and to be told to get rid of the dogs to appease others cultural beliefs in her own community. That is just not acceptable.

*nods*

:mad Reading this makes me so furious! I don't care what background you're from but you do NOT have the right to harass anyone like this. There is not excuse. This poor lady and her beloved canine family is being harassed and stressed daily because some idiots do not have manners? This is the most polite I can put it. I am so sorry this is happening to your Auntie and I hope common sense prevails and this is resolved in her favour urgently. I can't imagine what I would do if this happens to someone close to me ... all hell will break lose at the very least. :eek:

Firstly - terrible situation for anyone to be in.

Completely agree with contacting council, keeping diaries etc

Just a suggestion - if the new neighbours have a common ethnic or religious background, is it possible to speak to someone (elder, church leader etc)?

Certainly not excusing anyones behaviour, but it is possible that the relationship got off on the wrong foot, people (both sides?) bought preconceived perceptions in to the conversations, etc, etc.

I have seen it where people become flustered or emotional, and don't respond well. You mentioned that the lady becomes emotional and cries (understandably) which may not assist communication etc.

Just stepping back a bit, I wonder if the situation developed in to an 'us and them' concept where neither side is listening and the emotion is running high. I have seen situations which did not start well, and then quickly became 'silly old woman with scary dogs who is out to get us' VS 'those people who antagonise me'. Especially when the changes have been so great. This lady has lived in an area previously where most people were of a similar age, with similar backgrounds (upbringing, history, etc) and suddenly the whole dynamics have changes. Equally, the neighbours are all new and this lady has gone from being the 'norm' to the outsider.

My grandmother lived in the same housing trust house for over 50 years. When they moved in it was a new area and all the houses were rented by (at that time) young families. Move forward 40 years and she could name every neighbour and every child born in the neighbourhood. Move forward another 10 years and there was only her and one other 'original'. All of a sudden she was the exception and the 'odd one out'. Very difficult to cope with. Thankfully in her situation there was no animosity, but definately a change in dynamics.

Hopefully there are community 'leaders' who can act as liasons. Being harrassed in your own house is completely unacceptable (and it is her own house, regardless of whether she pays rent or a mortgage - if she pays rent she is only answerable to the 'landlord' - not the neighbours).