Custom Crate Covers, Pros And Cons?

LisaCC

I've decided to crate train this new Aussie pup I will eventually have! Especially since I hope on doing Obedience trails and/or possibly Agility.

After looking at different crate options I think i'll definitely get a metal crate not a soft one that a pup could scratch/chew through.

But my partners major problem with this is that they are ugly compared to some soft crates that you can get in neutral colour.

Then I came across these!

http://www.freckles-...vers/4553008458

Instead of spending extreme amounts of money I plan on just whipping one up myself.

But I have a few questions;

Would the covers affect crate training at all?

I have heard that it can make it more den-like and encourage the pup to use it more, but are there any cons?

I would make it to match the decor of our room which is charcoal and a very light beige.

Would you recommend the majority of the crate be the darker coloured material or the lighter? I'm thinking mostly the charcoal for the 'den effect'.

Edited by LisaCC

Hi Lisa & welcome.

Wire crates are stronger but uglier than the soft sided ones, yes :laugh: The only time I would put a cover over it is if it was pretty cold, winter time/ cold wind. It's too hot for them otherwise.

I have an old sheet I throw over mine if need be as I have a very nervy girl at times, so the less she see's the better. I am not sure where you are at but unless you are in a cold climate it is not necessary & I find I just

throw a blanket over top then if we get a cold snap. I do also use a good quality crate mate though so as they are warm when lying down. I use a Snooza Futon for a crate mate as they are cool in summer & warm in winter.

IMO as far as crate training goes I wouldn't cover the crate.If you want to pretty up the crate a bit, I just brought both of mine a really cute, personalized blanket with paw prints around the edge that lies on top of their c

rates that are inside where they sleep. Got them online. Hope I was of some help. Enjoy your Aussie :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Crate covers are cute, but expensive so if you can make one, go for it! I use a sheet to cover my crate to make it darker/more cave-like for the one one that likes it that way (the other prefers hers uncovered). And because I like cute thing, I use cute kiddie cartoon sheets, usually ones I pick up at the op-shop for a few dollars.

I and a few others have had ours made by a doler (Cockerlover). She may have advertised them in the market place. :)

I don't do any competitions with my dogs, its more just to look neater as its in our loungeroom. It doesn't cover the door area.Its blue with red trim.

we even have a little picture frame in their crate with a pic of hubby and I in it :laugh:

oh and btw noone minds it, even our Ragdoll cat goes in it as well.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

All mine are covered, I can't see any cons - keeps them cooler in summer and warmer in winter plus the dogs prefer it. Most have windows or you can roll up the side if they need more ventilation

You can pick up covers relatively cheaply on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Extra-Tall-8-Panel-Pet-Dog-Run-Enclosure-Pen-Crate-Cage-/270830050386?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3f0eba9c52#ht_2224wt_1398

Thanks for everyones replies!

Hi Lisa & welcome.

Wire crates are stronger but uglier than the soft sided ones, yes :laugh: The only time I would put a cover over it is if it was pretty cold, winter time/ cold wind. It's too hot for them otherwise.

I have an old sheet I throw over mine if need be as I have a very nervy girl at times, so the less she see's the better. I am not sure where you are at but unless you are in a cold climate it is not necessary & I find I just

throw a blanket over top then if we get a cold snap. I do also use a good quality crate mate though so as they are warm when lying down. I use a Snooza Futon for a crate mate as they are cool in summer & warm in winter.

IMO as far as crate training goes I wouldn't cover the crate.If you want to pretty up the crate a bit, I just brought both of mine a really cute, personalized blanket with paw prints around the edge that lies on top of their c

rates that are inside where they sleep. Got them online. Hope I was of some help. Enjoy your Aussie :)

Thanks BC Crazy!

We live in one of those weird climates where it sits in the 30s over summer maybe reaching 40 once (I think we might be expecting a few this summer though) but our house actually stays surprisingly cool. Temps then easily sits in the Minus' over winter.

If I go back to my home town to visit I think I would definitely need a cover, it snows quite regularly there.

Perhaps it would be better to have no cover over summer and then introduce one for winter months. I will still be looking for some nice breathable material.

I'm still getting a bit ahead of myself.. no puppy even born yet laugh.gif. But I figured if I'm going to make one then I'll have the next few months to play around with the sewing machine.

Edited by LisaCC

I see no issues with crate training with a covered crate, except you can't drop tid bits down the back with it on. Nothing stopping you throwing them through the door though. I don't think the colour matters and you could alway put roll up window type covers on it if you wanted more light inside.

I made the mistake of buying a soft crate for my GSD and by 13 weeks he worked out how to unzip it! I now have metal ones, ugly yes, but purchased weatherproof covers on ebay a while back as it gets cold and windy in the winter. It has a see through front which has cracked :( but I will fix it, somehow, soon. The only downside is that they are bright blue. I think they were @$25 each on special.

Those ones in your link are very attractive!

I see no issues with crate training with a covered crate, except you can't drop tid bits down the back with it on. Nothing stopping you throwing them through the door though. I don't think the colour matters and you could alway put roll up window type covers on it if you wanted more light inside.

I made the mistake of buying a soft crate for my GSD and by 13 weeks he worked out how to unzip it! I now have metal ones, ugly yes, but purchased weatherproof covers on ebay a while back as it gets cold and windy in the winter. It has a see through front which has cracked :( but I will fix it, somehow, soon. The only downside is that they are bright blue. I think they were @$25 each on special.

Thanks for the tips Tazar, I was thinking about putting in a roll up window on the roof as well, I know plenty of soft crates that come with those, might come in handy.

Learned to unzip it at 13 weeks! What a clever pup! :D

Crate covers are cute, but expensive so if you can make one, go for it! I use a sheet to cover my crate to make it darker/more cave-like for the one one that likes it that way (the other prefers hers uncovered). And because I like cute thing, I use cute kiddie cartoon sheets, usually ones I pick up at the op-shop for a few dollars.

I do the same although my kiddie covers come from my grown up kiddies :laugh:

I think dogs love the covers, it makes them feel safer and less exposed...keeps their backs covered so to speak. It gives their crate a den like feel...and dogs love dens of course. When it's very hot I just lift up the side for extra ventilation and keep it tucked down when it's cold to avoid chills.

I did buy a cover recently for about $19.00 on line which i used at the Royal Show when benching, just left the front up so pups could be seen. Looked nice over the wire crate and the dogs were less exposed and felt safer.

Thanks for the tips Tazar, I was thinking about putting in a roll up window on the roof as well, I know plenty of soft crates that come with those, might come in handy.

Learned to unzip it at 13 weeks! What a clever pup! :D

Yep he did, using his teeth, then he would put his paw through to open it the rest of the way, I would find him asleep next to my bed. I put little padlocks on it for a while before I went to metal. If his metal crate is closed (not locked) and he wants to get in he hits it hard with his paw and hey presto it opens. He pulls it closed behind him too. The other GSD just stands there clueless :laugh: He is too clever!!