Something Very, Very Weird

yellowgirl

If you were serious about getting a larger dog for security and to keep the little ones feeling safe, then you wouldn't need a larger dog door - we have both large and small breed dogs and I have found that the little ones need to toilet much more frequently than the larger ones (especially as they get older), so if you're more often home than not, then you should find that the large dog is fine with regular toilet breaks rather than needing all-hours access.

Our large dogs have free outside access during the day, but at night time they only get two toilet breaks, one around 7:30pm, the last at around 11:00 pm and are then happy to hold on til morning. I don't like the dogs outside at night, as there's too much trouble for them to get themselves into (i.e., cane toads, snakes, etc).

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, scary sounds automatically sound 'bad', like there is evil intent behind them.

True. Repeatedly throughout our evolutionary history it has paid off to get scared of certain sounds and take immediate action.

If you were serious about getting a larger dog for security and to keep the little ones feeling safe, then you wouldn't need a larger dog door - we have both large and small breed dogs and I have found that the little ones need to toilet much more frequently than the larger ones (especially as they get older), so if you're more often home than not, then you should find that the large dog is fine with regular toilet breaks rather than needing all-hours access.

Our large dogs have free outside access during the day, but at night time they only get two toilet breaks, one around 7:30pm, the last at around 11:00 pm and are then happy to hold on til morning. I don't like the dogs outside at night, as there's too much trouble for them to get themselves into (i.e., cane toads, snakes, etc).

I was about to reply that no I'm not serious about getting a big dog ... but then for some reason while I was doing the dogs' ointments, I started thinking about it ... *shakes fist at Ash* :laugh: I wanna big doggy now!

I was about to reply that no I'm not serious about getting a big dog ... but then for some reason while I was doing the dogs' ointments, I started thinking about it ... *shakes fist at Ash* :laugh: I wanna big doggy now!

Yellowgirl, it's really not a silly idea, especially as you live alone.

Even physcologically they give you a wonderful feeling of security. My husband works away most weeks, and we live rurally with no close neighbours, but I never, ever, feel scared (well, until I listened to your video last night, that was :mad ) with my big dogs around. Even before we had so many large dogs, just having my German Shepherd lying on the end of the bed made me sleep without worry. You may even find the littlies feel more secure with a large dog (have no idea about this, just a wild guess, perhaps some dog behaviouralists could confirm or deny.)

I also feel safer since I have my bigger dog (well, medium sized). The main thing is I think her bark would be a deterrent, she has a big loud bark and can sound quite scary. I imagine that if intruders heard her, along with the other two little ones, they might think twice about coming in, even though she would probably welcome them with open arms.

We had a blackout the other week and she must have been freaked out about the street being dark but people walking around out there to see what was going on, it was the first time I've heard her do a serious threatening bark (had a bit of a growl to it), it sounded really quite scary!

Yellowgirl, it's really not a silly idea, especially as you live alone.

Even physcologically they give you a wonderful feeling of security. My husband works away most weeks, and we live rurally with no close neighbours, but I never, ever, feel scared (well, until I listened to your video last night, that was :mad ) with my big dogs around. Even before we had so many large dogs, just having my German Shepherd lying on the end of the bed made me sleep without worry. You may even find the littlies feel more secure with a large dog (have no idea about this, just a wild guess, perhaps some dog behaviouralists could confirm or deny.)

Also, the dog could stay outside while you're not home; purely to be a deterrent. I'm sure you could find a lovely large dog that needs to be rescued. :)

I also feel safer since I have my bigger dog (well, medium sized). The main thing is I think her bark would be a deterrent, she has a big loud bark and can sound quite scary. I imagine that if intruders heard her, along with the other two little ones, they might think twice about coming in, even though she would probably welcome them with open arms.

We had a blackout the other week and she must have been freaked out about the street being dark but people walking around out there to see what was going on, it was the first time I've heard her do a serious threatening bark (had a bit of a growl to it), it sounded really quite scary!

I'm actually a 'big dog person' at heart, I've always had Shepherds or big crosses of them, the bigger the better. Then one day I realised that the little poodle puppy that I acquired was actually a whole bunch of love in a little body ..lol. Then I got my first Chinese Crested ... and that was pretty much it, I was a gonner for the littlies :laugh:

I have two friends who act as my 'adult supervision' when it comes to my rescue dogs (ie. being able to say no because I'm full, have no funds, have enough on my plate, etc). I can't even imagine their reaction when they see this one! :laugh:

Good thing you have outside 'adult supervision' YG, obviously DOL is no help in discouraging people from getting more dogs! When I was considering my third I didn't mention it to my mum and sis at all, knowing they would say no way, don't do it!!! I asked for opinions here though, and lo and behold, now I has 3 :laugh:

I have somewhere in the back of my mind that keeping a large dog can be tax deductible (security). I vaguely remember going through this with my accountant some years back - something about the German Shepherd's costs could be tax deductible, but she didn't think that the ATO would view the pomeranian or chihuahua as a security tax deductible. I told her the pomeranian was the boss of all the dogs, and that the chihuahua was the noisiest of the lot! :laugh:

I can't remember if that was business or private tax matters though, may have been business (run from home). I am absolutely no accountant and have no idea whatsoever on these things, but would it be possible if yellowdog's rescue operation was set up as a tax-loss company, it may at least get GST payments back? Perhaps someone knowledgeable could advise?

Can completely understand the concerns, but a mature large dog of a breed who didn't require a lot of exercise might work - we have two senior littlies and six large breed dogs, and the littlies have never been even close to being hurt. Perhaps we could all chip in to spring a senior biggie from the pound for yellowgirl :thumbsup:

*Runs quickly from thread before I get pummelled* :laugh:

Edited by ash1

I wouldn't get a large dog just for protection. I believe in getting a dog because you want a dog - along with the extra exercise and large bills!

The cops actually said to me that I'm lucky that I have small dogs that didn't try to stop someone entering - easy to bait a large dog.

If they had wanted to come in they would have. Obviously they were surprised to see 10 small dogs that made one hell of a racket. I'm sure they'll just target someone easier next time and you won't be seeing them again.

My maremma looks after my other dogs, he protects everything he's bonded to and the property but he is a night barker so has to be locked up a night, but yellowgirl would probably have an LGD inside at night. They're pretty hardy as far as dogs go.

Guest Labradork

I wouldn't get a large dog just for protection. I believe in getting a dog because you want a dog - along with the extra exercise and large bills!

The cops actually said to me that I'm lucky that I have small dogs that didn't try to stop someone entering - easy to bait a large dog.

If they had wanted to come in they would have. Obviously they were surprised to see 10 small dogs that made one hell of a racket. I'm sure they'll just target someone easier next time and you won't be seeing them again.

Can you train a dog not to take bait?

Can you train a dog not to take bait?

I know of somebody who taught their dog food refusal...ie, not accepting food from anybody but him. It backfired unfortunately when he was admitted to hospital and nobody else could feed his dog.

LGD breeds require a lot of training and can be barkers, housing one in a suburban backyard where I am sure there is council dog limits just for protection is not something that I would recommend especially if the priority of the OP is to rehome littlies. Some LGD's as pups can be very excitable, my ASD pup is a maniac :laugh: Whilst LGD's do have a protective instinct they protect what they deem necessary to protect and they also decide what is a threat and what isn't.

There are infrared cameras that can be bought quite cheaply that will take a photo when something passes the motion sensor. They can be mounted outside and are very reasonably priced whilst they do not offer protection as such they are great as evidence of break ins. I am getting one by our gate to capture number plates and also some others in various locations to get faces etc. You can also get fake security cameras for around $10.00 which can be a deterrent for the half hearted or nervous thief

Edited by millbrooksprings