Something Very, Very Weird

yellowgirl

My LGD is inside at night due to barking. We don't have a dog door but I think if we did, he'd eat the face off anyone who looked through it :laugh:

:laugh:

Or in this case Kane (15 years ago) that would stick his head through the doggy door to bark at people

post-23033-0-99809700-1352258934_thumb.jpg

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually a 'big dog person' at heart, I've always had Shepherds or big crosses of them, the bigger the better. Then one day I realised that the little poodle puppy that I acquired was actually a whole bunch of love in a little body ..lol. Then I got my first Chinese Crested ... and that was pretty much it, I was a gonner for the littlies :laugh:

I have two friends who act as my 'adult supervision' when it comes to my rescue dogs (ie. being able to say no because I'm full, have no funds, have enough on my plate, etc). I can't even imagine their reaction when they see this one! :laugh:

Speaking as one of the supervisors.. lol.. I don't think the idea of adding a big dog to the crew is necessarily a bad idea but there are a lot of side issues that come with it. Things such as bigger bills (food, vet care etc) that would mean less money for the rescues (which I can't see being acceptable to you), exercise requirements when you have chronic fatigue and the risk of accidental injury to the little ones, especially the deaf, blind and slow (which realistically covers nearly all of them :laugh:). In theory though I would love to see you with a big dog in the house after all the dodgy things that have gone on. I know I'd worry less, that's for sure. :)

ETA: I think it's hilarious that you admitted to everyone on DOL that you have supervisors. :rofl:

I think way more people in rescue should have supervision! :laugh: . You guys help keep me grounded and remind me that I can't say yes to every senior dog that's in the pound.

The energy side of things you mentioned is exactly why I stick with the littlies and oldies, it's the main reason I don't have anything bigger that would need more exercise. See, that's why I need supervision, to remind me of stuff like that :laugh:

I have somewhere in the back of my mind that keeping a large dog can be tax deductible (security). I vaguely remember going through this with my accountant some years back - something about the German Shepherd's costs could be tax deductible, but she didn't think that the ATO would view the pomeranian or chihuahua as a security tax deductible. I told her the pomeranian was the boss of all the dogs, and that the chihuahua was the noisiest of the lot! :laugh:

I can't remember if that was business or private tax matters though, may have been business (run from home). I am absolutely no accountant and have no idea whatsoever on these things, but would it be possible if yellowdog's rescue operation was set up as a tax-loss company, it may at least get GST payments back? Perhaps someone knowledgeable could advise?

Can completely understand the concerns, but a mature large dog of a breed who didn't require a lot of exercise might work - we have two senior littlies and six large breed dogs, and the littlies have never been even close to being hurt. Perhaps we could all chip in to spring a senior biggie from the pound for yellowgirl :thumbsup:

*Runs quickly from thread before I get pummelled* :laugh:

No, it wouldn't be a tax deduction ash.

YG I think you need to send your Cresties to me for training - I'll record Louis doing his guard dog impression one day, it's almost scarier than the noise on your tape :eek: :laugh:

Aww, dear little Louis :heart:

Cattle dogs (and crosses) are very hardy. Make great guard dogs.

Frosty just scolded the meter reader... Fortunately it was the one that doesn't need access to the back yard.

Good old Frosty :)

My LGD is inside at night due to barking. We don't have a dog door but I think if we did, he'd eat the face off anyone who looked through it :laugh:

:laugh:

Or in this case Kane (15 years ago) that would stick his head through the doggy door to bark at people

post-23033-0-99809700-1352258934_thumb.jpg

:eek: that would scare the crapper outta me :laugh: love it MBS

I wouldn't get a large dog just for protection. I believe in getting a dog because you want a dog - along with the extra exercise and large bills!

The cops actually said to me that I'm lucky that I have small dogs that didn't try to stop someone entering - easy to bait a large dog.

If they had wanted to come in they would have. Obviously they were surprised to see 10 small dogs that made one hell of a racket. I'm sure they'll just target someone easier next time and you won't be seeing them again.

I agree 100% Megan! I think it was worth having a think about but in reality any dog that comes here is part of the family. My job is to look after them and keep them safe, not the other way around. I'm not comfortable with adding another dog purely for 'protection'.

My maremma looks after my other dogs, he protects everything he's bonded to and the property but he is a night barker so has to be locked up a night, but yellowgirl would probably have an LGD inside at night. They're pretty hardy as far as dogs go.

I can't risk a barker MUP as I'd lose my rescue dogs if there were any complaints.

I wouldn't get a large dog just for protection. I believe in getting a dog because you want a dog - along with the extra exercise and large bills!

The cops actually said to me that I'm lucky that I have small dogs that didn't try to stop someone entering - easy to bait a large dog.

If they had wanted to come in they would have. Obviously they were surprised to see 10 small dogs that made one hell of a racket. I'm sure they'll just target someone easier next time and you won't be seeing them again.

Can you train a dog not to take bait?

Maybe one Labradork ... ten, not so much :)

LGD breeds require a lot of training and can be barkers, housing one in a suburban backyard where I am sure there is council dog limits just for protection is not something that I would recommend especially if the priority of the OP is to rehome littlies. Some LGD's as pups can be very excitable, my ASD pup is a maniac :laugh: Whilst LGD's do have a protective instinct they protect what they deem necessary to protect and they also decide what is a threat and what isn't.

There are infrared cameras that can be bought quite cheaply that will take a photo when something passes the motion sensor. They can be mounted outside and are very reasonably priced whilst they do not offer protection as such they are great as evidence of break ins. I am getting one by our gate to capture number plates and also some others in various locations to get faces etc. You can also get fake security cameras for around $10.00 which can be a deterrent for the half hearted or nervous thief

You're spot on MBS. In reality I already have dogs that will bark if there's an intruder, and until I can arrange some better security, either I'll be home or they'll have a dog-sitter, so someone will be alerted if there's a stranger in the area. I don't need a large dog with a bigger bark just to let me know that someone is here. That also increases the risk of a neighbour being annoyed by a bigger, louder bark and I can't risk that. As you said, my priority is the little ones that are here and although it was nice to think about having a big dog again for a while, it's not going to solve any of the issues that have been created by the moron who came into my yard. I'm looking into security to attend to that as I do think that's the better way to go.

There are infrared cameras that can be bought quite cheaply that will take a photo when something passes the motion sensor. They can be mounted outside and are very reasonably priced whilst they do not offer protection as such they are great as evidence of break ins. I am getting one by our gate to capture number plates and also some others in various locations to get faces etc. You can also get fake security cameras for around $10.00 which can be a deterrent for the half hearted or nervous thief

I paid about $1500 for 4 infrared sensors & a hard drive thingy a couple of years ago, it saved my sanity times beyond counting. You can set them up through your internet as well, so you can check on your house while away, if you have a smart phone.

We just went away and left our dogs at my parents house. I was going crazy worying about them. We bought a infrared IP camera for $45 ish from ebay including postage. You can tune into it from smartphone or computer from anywhere and I'm sure there would be a way to record too. You can move this one 360 degrees as well.

Then Dad wanted some of these cameras as payment for dog sitting saying we can tap into them, so we got two more for $70 each for him. It was great being able to see the dogs while we were overseas.

Honestly, scary sounds automatically sound 'bad', like there is evil intent behind them. I couldn't say how many call playbacks I did over the years, but every single time Masked Owl was on the list it made my skin crawl. I would listen to that and mutter "No wonder people are scared of the night." It sounds like something that's crawled straight out of hell. It's an owl. It does not have evil intent.

Yes! Very creepy. :eek:

We just went away and left our dogs at my parents house. I was going crazy worying about them. We bought a infrared IP camera for $45 ish from ebay including postage. You can tune into it from smartphone or computer from anywhere and I'm sure there would be a way to record too. You can move this one 360 degrees as well.

Then Dad wanted some of these cameras as payment for dog sitting saying we can tap into them, so we got two more for $70 each for him. It was great being able to see the dogs while we were overseas.

Do you have a link at all Lollipup?

jeepers!!

DO NOT use headphones eek1.gif

wish I had read this before I listened to it. I always have my headphones so not to disturb my OH as the computers are next to each other.

It made all the hair on my arms stand up and I hit the mute button before it finished

Damn scary noise whatever it is, you could sell it as a sound effect in a horror movie.

It made all the hair on my arms stand up and I hit the mute button before it finished <br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">Damn scary noise whatever it is, you could sell it as a sound effect in a horror movie.

yep.. I have not listened to it again.

Morning I hope you are all sleeping...it has taken me 2 nights to settle and not jump at every creak :eek:

How are you and the little ones this morning ??

The cameras I bought from ebay for you should be here next week..... :D

Morning I hope you are all sleeping...it has taken me 2 nights to settle and not jump at every creak :eek:

How are you and the little ones this morning ??

The cameras I bought from ebay for you should be here next week..... :D

We're all good thanks Kadbury :) I have a friend looking into some security options for me. I got some quotes on a roller door, but hoo boy, the cheapest quote I could get for a zincaloom, manual operating door was over $700!! ... actually I got him down to $680, but it's still not very do-able.

I have a friend dog-sitting for me this afternoon while I go to the doctors and pick up dog some supplies today.

Thank you so much for ordering the cameras! That's really so very nice of you :) I'm hoping to budget for some 'real' ones soon too, as well as some sensor lights. With your cameras up there as well, hopefully the next cretin who comes along will think twice before coming in.

I'll let you know when they get here :) xx

Sorry!

This is the first one we bought that turns 360 degrees - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GEN-WIRELESS-WEBCAM-IP-CAMERA-AUDIO-VIDEO-WIFI-CAMERA-OSD-IR-Motion-Detction-/160723377312?pt=PCA_Video_Conferencing_Webcams&hash=item256bdc1ca0

This is the set of two we bought afterwards - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300679965514?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Sorry!

This is the first one we bought that turns 360 degrees - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GEN-WIRELESS-WEBCAM-IP-CAMERA-AUDIO-VIDEO-WIFI-CAMERA-OSD-IR-Motion-Detction-/160723377312?pt=PCA_Video_Conferencing_Webcams&hash=item256bdc1ca0

This is the set of two we bought afterwards - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300679965514?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Brilliant! Thank you Lollipup.

Holy shit, that is scary. Your poor dogs sounded very distressed. :(

Hope they are ok.

I can't even imagine how scared they must have been Cody. I had to take one of the dogs to the emergency vet at 3am on Sunday. I was gone for about two hours and the dogs stressed massively while I was gone and peed through the whole house especially at the doors. The little one with OCD has regressed quite badly and several of the other dogs are now very reactive to any noises.

Maybe these guys will loan you one of theirs

http://www.uracast.com.au/default.asp?cid=1930&rid=1353&menuid=1353

The ACD with the elbow over the edge of the ute has fooled me more than once.

I had a look at their 'skinflint' page Mrs RB. Looks like the only thing I could afford (and even that would be a stretch) would be a second hand Rooster!

What kind of sick moron... eek1.gif

I have other words too Scootaloo ... and a bat at the ready.