Vets In Sydney

Carmoon

I recently took in a 4 year old Pomeranian, i called a few places in my area and was quoted $98-$142 for vaccinations and $450 for desexing(female). Could any of you recommend a quality vet with prices less steep? I would like to provide my dog with the best care but i think i could get a better deal else ware

Thank-you!

I recently took in a 4 year old Pomeranian, i called a few places in my area and was quoted $98-$142 for vaccinations and $450 for desexing(female). Could any of you recommend a quality vet with prices less steep? I would like to provide my dog with the best care but i think i could get a better deal else ware

Thank-you!

What area? Sydney is pretty big :)

Guest donatella

Thank-you!

Whoa, that is expensive!

I'm in Brisbane but pay $212 for my Pomeranians to be speyed and $70 for vaccs.

ETA if its anything like Brisbane you need to hit the suburbs for the cheapest rates. My local vet who i use for emergencies is double what I pay for the family vet we've used for 20 years but takes me 35mins to drive too so only good for planned things such as desexing and vaccing etc.

Edited by donatella

What area? Sydney is pretty big :)

I live close to the CBD, but im open to any areas in sydney

Ah, well that explains why it's expensive. If you call vets a bit further out, even just Inner West, you might find them a bit more reasonable. I can't recall exactly what my girls desexing was, but I'm sure it was around $300 for my Pug in Drummoyne which is pretty standard in Sydney (might be less if your girl weighs less, not sure if they charge based on weight or not).

Balmain Vet Hospital is good - http://www.balmainvet.com.au/ (I just happen to have their website open, my guys are there today, at the Drummoyne clinic :laugh: )on Victoria Rd, so a direct line from the CBD.

edit: her desexing may have even been a bit less, as they did something else while they were there so that would have been included in the total price.

Edited by minimax

Hmmm.....like everything you get what you pay for.

I would be asking what is included in the $450 eg...fluids, pain relief, bloods, monitoring whilst under anesthetic, over night hospitalisation.

I always steer people away from the cheapest vets.

Guest donatella

Hmmm.....like everything you get what you pay for.

I would be asking what is included in the $450 eg...fluids, pain relief, bloods, monitoring whilst under anesthetic, over night hospitalisation.

I always steer people away from the cheapest vets.

Why on earth would over night hospitalisation be included for desexing?

And its not always 'you get what you pay for', in all aspects of life. Some vets just charge more, whether it be higher overheads for them ie location and staffing etc. These vets tend to be in closer proximity to the CBD and/or wealthier areas. It pays to do some research in the suburbs and you'd be surprised at how much cheaper vets can be. Does not mean they are any less of a practice, it means they can charge less for whatever reason.

I know which one I prefer, especially if you get word of mouth recommendation.

Edited by donatella

My dog was kept overnight beforehand so that she could be guaranteed not to have eaten or drunk anything when she wasn't supposed to, and so we didn't have to rush in the morning for drop-off to the vet and then to work (which meant we could get home early to pick her up). Also perhaps some vets like to keep smaller dogs overnight if they do their surgeries very late rather than early?

I find anything further out west is cheaper...car servicing, vets etc.

There are some great vets a bit further out. Denistone is a lovely small clinic without huge overheads. Animal Tracks near Homebush is another.

The price doesn't dictate the quality of the care, I'd say price is more determined by geographic location and the size of the clinic. Bigger, more equipped hospitals are better for complicated surgeries, emergencies and the like. Thus they may be overpriced for routine surgery.

Guest donatella

My dog was kept overnight beforehand so that she could be guaranteed not to have eaten or drunk anything when she wasn't supposed to, and so we didn't have to rush in the morning for drop-off to the vet and then to work (which meant we could get home early to pick her up). Also perhaps some vets like to keep smaller dogs overnight if they do their surgeries very late rather than early?

Never ever heard of it, and I have small dogs, one of which will be about 1.6kgs when she gets speyed and she will not need to stay overnight.

In regard to staying overnight after desexing.

I have friends whose bitch was desexed in September, they brought her home, when they got up the next morning she was near death from the bleeding, her bed was full of blood, this bitch had had puppies in the past, after five days of intensive care at the clinic she passed away.

I was devastated as she was one of my retired brood bitches, I contacted my own vet and told him the story, apparently if a bitch has had litters the veins stretch and never go back to normal, they should be quarterised during the operation,she had a blood clot in the cervix, so here is a story that if she had been kept in overnight this precious girl would still be with us, she was just under five years of age. :cry:

Guest donatella

In regard to staying overnight after desexing.

I have friends whose bitch was desexed in September, they brought her home, when they got up the next morning she was near death from the bleeding, her bed was full of blood, this bitch had had puppies in the past, after five days of intensive care at the clinic she passed away.

I was devastated as she was one of my retired brood bitches, I contacted my own vet and told him the story, apparently if a bitch has had litters the veins stretch and never go back to normal, they should be quarterised during the operation,she had a blood clot in the cervix, so here is a story that if she had been kept in overnight this precious girl would still be with us, she was just under five years of age. :cry:

I'm sorry that happened it must have been devastating but I'd call that either a tragic accident or negligence on the vets behalf as I very much doubt every bitch who've had litters in the past is kept overnight, in fact I can think of bitches who've had puppies and have been speyed without being kept overnight.

Never ever heard of it, and I have small dogs, one of which will be about 1.6kgs when she gets speyed and she will not need to stay overnight.

I worked at a large practice in the suburbs of Sydney for 12 years. All bitch speys were kept overnight. It is a large intra abdominal procedure. Bitches were monitor post op and then the following morning all were examined by vet prior to discharge. They are kept quiet overnight.

Dogs that had surgery for crypt-orchid were also kept overnight.

The practice I worked at was an A grade hospital rather than a clinic. Depending on the grading some practices are not "able" to keep animals overnight. Many still perform large surgeries......they just get sent home.

The fees charged at the hospital I worked at were those recommended by AVA, we did not undercut as many others do. When businesses undercut, corners need to be cut elsewhere....

I worked at a large practice in the suburbs of Sydney for 12 years. All bitch speys were kept overnight. It is a large intra abdominal procedure. Bitches were monitor post op and then the following morning all were examined by vet prior to discharge. They are kept quiet overnight.

Dogs that had surgery for crypt-orchid were also kept overnight.

The practice I worked at was an A grade hospital rather than a clinic.

Same!

When I moved out of area and had a dog speyed I thought it was odd that they sent her home that night!

I've had many dogs and cats desexed and never had one stay over night

Me either. I have never had a dog stay overnight at the vets for any reason. With surgery I take them in, wait for them (often watch the surgery) and take them home. I am only 10-15 minutes from the vets so can keep a better eye on them at home and call the vet 24/7 if I need them. There is no staff at the vets overnight anyway unless they have a critical case or are in there doing an after hours caesar so I see no point in stressing the dog by it being stuck in a cage at the vets. If the patients are really critical my vets sometimes take them home with them overnight to save going back and forth to check on them.

Vets in the outer suburbs are a lot cheaper because they have lower overheads. Most breeders use specific vets who have experience in reproduction and dealing with show dogs. Almost everyone I know uses Austral, Vineyard, Quakers Hill or North Richmond vets. Many breeders travel an hour or more to these vets.

As a rescuer, I've definitely had a few female dogs that have had to stay overnight after desexing, some just haven't reacted so well to it, particularly if they were coming on heat - we recently had a Whippet that had to be rushed back to the vet 4 times after surgery. She was only young and in good health otherwise but she haemorraged and had other issues.

I'm not sure where you are in Sydney. I'd recommend Animal Tracks at Homebush and Annandale Vets.

There are definitely some more exy vets around, it's important to find one that you are happy with!