Sniffer Dogs Unleashed In Fox Fight

Boronia

They started with CO2 then switched to Zyklon B (cyanide). By controlling feral species humans are trying to undo the damage done by introducing them in the first place. I have spoken to people who would like us to stop dealing with the feral problem and just leave it all alone, all because they can't stand the thought of any animal dying. It's a very selfish ideal.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carbon monoxide was used during the Second World War in Nazi concentration camps.

Seriously? Seriously?? You did not just go there on the net. I also call Godwin's Law.

Whoooooosh. That's the sound of the thread going out the window.

ETA: Just because you've been on this earth for a long time doesn't mean you're right, it could just mean you've been wrong for longer. Foxes are vermin and need to be controlled.

vay vay! :thumbsup:

Edited by lilli

1352596065[/url]' post='6016864']

There are some very extensive lists on Wikipedia giving names of introduced animal species to Australia, including cattle, sheep, horses, donkeys, camels, rabbits, pigs, buffalo, cane toads, red fox, goat, cats, dogs, deer, birds and fish, all of which are now 'feral'. Every one of these species causes destruction of native habitat which results in the decline of native animals and plants. Since settlement by white man some 200 years ago, 70% of the native vegetation has been cleared, with most of that occurring in the last 50 years.

I'm not entirely sure what point you're making. Are you suggesting that we should not try to save either native habitat or native animals by controlling feral animals? If you're not, what would you suggest?

Guest Wildthing

I have done extensive searching on the internet and found several articles, veterinary based, on the affects (signs and symptoms)of non lethal carbon monoxide poisoning in domestic dogs.

The point I am trying to make is that all introduced species of animals (and humans) cause destruction of the native habitat in this country. All destruction needs to be dealt with effectively.

I am not backing out of the thread mixedupdog, just pointing out other facts.

At no stage did I say the foxes should not be culled. You have all deemed me to be saying that. So far Sheridan is the only one to ask for an explanation of something I have posted. Thank you for doing that and I hope my explanation is satisfactory.

There is no ideal way to deal with any of the problems caused by humans and introduced species into this country, but I know efforts must be made to preserve the native animals and habitat.

I have been made aware of a system in Gippsland that uses poisoned oats of some sort left on the ground to kill rabbits. If what I am told is accurate - sorry, can't check the facts on a Sunday, then that amazes me because it isn't just the rabbits that will eat the poisoned oats.

1352609314[/url]' post='6017140']

I have done extensive searching on the internet and found several articles, veterinary based, on the affects (signs and symptoms)of non lethal carbon monoxide poisoning in domestic dogs.

The point I am trying to make is that all introduced species of animals (and humans) cause destruction of the native habitat in this country. All destruction needs to be dealt with effectively.

At no stage did I say the foxes should not be culled. You have all deemed me to be saying that. So far Sheridan is the only one to ask for an explanation of something I have posted. Thank you for doing that and I hope my explanation is satisfactory.

There is no ideal way to deal with any of the problems caused by humans and introduced species into this country, but I know efforts must be made to preserve the native animals and habitat.

I have been made aware of a system in Gippsland that uses poisoned oats of some sort left on the ground to kill rabbits. If what I am told is accurate - sorry, can't check the facts on a Sunday, then that amazes me because it isn't just the rabbits that will eat the poisoned oats.

You say destruction needs to be dealt with effectively but carbon monoxide poisoning is effective. You may not like it but it is effective. I don't have another solution and I am assuming you don't either otherwise you'd be in the introduced pest eradication business.

I thought it was the 21st? Dammit that throws my schedule out completely!!!!

Either way, Xmas Day is cancelled this year, PD. :thumbsup:

Back to the OP, what breed of dogs are used for the vermin control?

I found this Raz--> http://bundaberg.qld.gov.au/news/2012/11/07/combined-effort-protect-regions-turtles

Combined effort to protect regions turtles

7 Nov 2012

Bundaberg Regional Council, Queensland Parks and Wildlife Services (QPWS), Gladstone Ports Corporation Bundaberg (GPC) and Burnett Mary Regional Group (BMRG) have joined together on a project for the fight against foxes along the regions coastlines.

The joint project is aimed at determining locations of fox dens along the coast from Moore Park Beach to the Pasturage Reserve in Bargara.

Environment and Natural Resources Portfolio Spokesperson Cr Danny Rowleson said the innovative approach had been implemented using trained English Springer Spaniels as sniffer dogs to locate the fox dens and hides.

“When the dens are located they are then mapped for future treatment and to assist in further coordination between the relevant organisations,” Cr Rowleson said.

“Locating fox dens is important for protecting our turtles and marine birds as European Red Foxes predate on turtle eggs and hatchlings during the breeding season and can severely reduce the effectiveness of our conservation efforts.”

“This project will provide very useful information to allow Council and QPWS to conduct fox control in a very strategic manner and give our important marine turtle populations a chance to recover.”

“Council is looking forward to working jointly with QPWS, GPC Bundaberg and BMRG to protect one of our region’s most precious resources.”

*bypasses thread derailment to post dog photo*

They're probably related to my Em! Her rellos are known for this sort of work :)

ff15df8d.jpg

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Beautiful photo TSD! I love ESS's! I wonder if they were trained by Steve Austin & crew? I live near Bargara and we do see a lot of foxes around. While I think they are cute I understand what they mean as a pest and this is a much better way than bates. We already have baits around as it is for dingoes and foxes so hopefully this will mean less of them. We came across a bait area warning sign at Woodgate beach the other week and we had the dogs there at the off lead area, was a bit scary!

Foxes are a living being just like domestic dogs. They are in this country because humans did not have the knowledge to leave them in the old country. To kill them because they are viewed as vermin by whatever means disgusts me. Carbon monoxide poisoning is cruel.

Cruel? They just go to sleep and die. There are far more cruel methods of getting rid of foxes. Populations of Fairy or Little Penguins are also at critically endangered levels due to fox predation along the Vic and NSW coasts, as they nest on land.

Humans introduced foxes to Australia, and it is our responsibility to remove them, so why the angst about a humane method?

Which is why my family doesn't use them, we opt for shooting instead as we want out methods to target the problem and not feed back through the food chain. Problem is, do you know how hard it is to find a good hunter these days? Very, they're all so sick of the attitude they cop for what they do.

At the end of the day there really isn't a nice way to kill, but sometimes it's the best thing to do. I wish we had access to sniffer dogs to find our local foxes before someone resorts to bait.

TSD Em is lovely!

Guest Wildthing

Carbon monoxide needs to be administered in a one off high enough dose to kill quickly - animal or human. If the dose is not high enough, the animal - or human will suffer.

I believe Victoria still has a bounty on dead Foxes, but am not sure how much.

Carbon monoxide needs to be administered in a one off high enough dose to kill quickly - animal or human. If the dose is not high enough, the animal - or human will suffer.

I believe Victoria still has a bounty on dead Foxes, but am not sure how much.

I would imagine they're using it in strong enough doses. If not the fox would probably try to make a break for it and would be killed by other means. Perhaps a quick dong on the head as it makes an appearance? :shrug:

And yet you chose to quote from and cite a wikipedia article....seriously I thought everyone knew wikipedia wasn't a reputable source in which to back up fact :rofl:

Would you stop calling me Mixedupdog. I'm a puppy for crying out loud.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: