Advocate

BT-Argo

Hi All

I am trying to find the best product combination for fleas and worming and possibly ticks.

I understand Advocate covers: fleas, heartworm, hookworm, roundworm and whipworm, lice and ear mites - So does this product cover everything I need to be concerned about apart from ticks?

I have read through a few topics and found many people do not use spot ons or any products to protect against fleas? how does this work then? I would rather avoid having a dog and in turn a house infested with fleas...we go walking in the park and there are other dogs in the area too so I assume its a given to use a flea product?

Edited by Curious

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help with the Advocate question but can answer the other one.

We do not treat our dogs for fleas because they don't have any :) I got some Capstar for free one time from the vet and decided to give them that because I had heard it was good to kill any fleas currently on them (and you know it works due to their reaction... ie the fleas bite as they die!). Not a peep out of my guys so I decided they really must not have fleas :D I do not give my animals (or myself) any more chemicals than needed so they won't be treated again until there is evidence :)

Saying that we currently live in quite rocky ground which is not conducive to fleas. When we lived in a more sandy area our dogs were affected more :(

Hi All

I am trying to find the best product combination for fleas and worming and possibly ticks.

I understand Advocate covers: fleas, heartworm, hookworm, roundworm and whipworm, lice and ear mites - So does this product cover everything I need to be concerned about apart from ticks?

I have read through a few topics and found many people do not use spot ons or any products to protect against fleas? how does this work then? I would rather avoid having a dog and in turn a house infested with fleas...we go walking in the park and there are other dogs in the area too so I assume its a given to use a flea product?

Advocate doesn't cover tapeworm so you need a wormer in there that contains praziquantel.

We currently use Advocate and Troy Wormex to cover fleas and worms. For ticks, we spray on a bit of permoxin if we plan to take the dogs to an area where ticks might be a risk.

Depends where you live, I'm in Canberra and don't use flea products, never ever see a flea. I give the credit to very cold winters and heavy clay soils.

I keep my dogs very well groomed, so I would certainly notice if they had any. I do use tick products if I take them to the coast.

Edited by Diva

Hardy's Angel already said, but Advocate doesn't treat tapeworm. Bayer's reasoning for this is, if you don't have fleas, you won't get tapeworm.

That said, my combo is Interceptor and Advantix. In my area, not being on top of tick treatment can be a death sentence (hear it at work all too often). Sometimes I may forget to advantix every fortnight in summer, so I have permoxin on hand too (no cats here!) which has very similar ingredients to advantix.

I did use Advocate but found using through winter with dogs that wear coats a toal Pain. I changed to Sentinel Spectrum and tapwormer tablets. I usually do it around every 6 to 8 weeks as I often forget to do them monthly.

We do not have fleas on our property but there are heaps in town and we have a low Heartworm risk. We only have Kangeroo Ticks

We use Sentinel Spectrum. It doesn't do adult fleas but does the eggs, all the worms and heartworm. We don't live in a tick area though so have never had to treat for that. I have used Advocate before along with a wormer for tapeworm.

Edited by Aussie3

I did use Advocate but found using through winter with dogs that wear coats a toal Pain. I changed to Sentinel Spectrum and tapwormer tablets. I usually do it around every 6 to 8 weeks as I often forget to do them monthly.

We do not have fleas on our property but there are heaps in town and we have a low Heartworm risk. We only have Kangeroo Ticks

Spectrum does tapeworm so you shouldn't need an extra.That was why we chose it in the end.

Edited by Aussie3

I don't treat for fleas, I haven't for the past 6 years, and even living in a sandy area (prone to fleas) we have never had them.

I have one dog on Sentinel Spectrum and one on Advocate. The advantages of SS are that it does tapeworm and is very easy to administer (I just throw it at Weez and he eats it) but the disadvantage is that it only kills one part of the flea life cycle (eggs I think). The Advocate does all flea life stages but not tapeworm as mentioned, but I find the main disadvantage is that it stinks and is messy :grimace: I keep Chess on Advocate (+ 3-monthly tapewormer) though because it also controls her demodex unlike Sentinel.

If it weren't for the demodex I would have both dogs on Sentinel due to ease and convenience. But I've never seen a flea and not in a tick area, so those factor into my choices.

Dogs are more likely to have adult flea transference than eggs, I would have thought.

Fleas have those powerful jumping muscles for a reason ! They can hop from host to host :)

Also, flea eggs do not stick to dog hair , they fall off and don't survive well outdoors - fleas prefer shaded, protected areas , with some humidity and certain temperatures , which is why houses and carpets are so popular as nurseries !

I use Advocate on the 1st of every month. On the 1st of every quarter I use a tapeworm tablet.

I buy online to save money but often get the tapeworm tabs from my vet.

If i'm going into a tick area then I buy a collar but it's unusual, i generally avoid the areas where i know my dogs will get ticks.

When I get foster dogs, I immediately use Capstar and once bathed, after 24-48 hrs I use Advantage because it works for fleas but then I get a Heartworm test done and providing it is negative then I switch to Advocate.

I have found both products to be very effective with fleas.

I also wash all the dogs' bedding every week and don't have carpets.

Dogs are more likely to have adult flea transference than eggs, I would have thought.

Fleas have those powerful jumping muscles for a reason ! They can hop from host to host :)

Also, flea eggs do not stick to dog hair , they fall off and don't survive well outdoors - fleas prefer shaded, protected areas , with some humidity and certain temperatures , which is why houses and carpets are so popular as nurseries !

Yes, but if you have your animals on a product that prevents any fleas they may come in contact with producing viable eggs you do not have the infestation problem :-)

Yes, but if you have your animals on a product that prevents any fleas they may come in contact with producing viable eggs you do not have the infestation problem :-)

true!! :) ..altho I read it that the OP was worried her dogs would pick up eggs and bring home

Just want to make sure they don't bring any fertile eggs home