Another One Bites The Dust

Steve

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crickets

I find it interesting that the Maltese type of dog is so so common/popular, but it's rare to come across an actual ANKC registered Maltese or one from an ANKC registered breeder. As a groomer the vast majority of swf's we groom have Maltese in their heritage, but rarely are they 'purebred' or 'pedigree'. Maybe clubs like this could benefit from trying to bring these non purebred 'Maltese type' owners under their wing on some sort of associate register, and then they have more membership as well as a ready audience to sell the benefits of purchasing a 'purebred' or 'pedigree' in the future?

There were only 299 ANKC registered maltese bred australia wide last year - of them less than half would have main register papers

If someone isnt working out some strategy to ensure survival of the breeds its time they woke up.

There are breed clubs shutting down all over the place.

I find it interesting that the Maltese type of dog is so so common/popular, but it's rare to come across an actual ANKC registered Maltese or one from an ANKC registered breeder. As a groomer the vast majority of swf's we groom have Maltese in their heritage, but rarely are they 'purebred' or 'pedigree'. Maybe clubs like this could benefit from trying to bring these non purebred 'Maltese type' owners under their wing on some sort of associate register, and then they have more membership as well as a ready audience to sell the benefits of purchasing a 'purebred' or 'pedigree' in the future?

ANKC breeds clubs are extremely unlikely to embrace cross breeds or their owners as members. Their general focus is on the breed survival and the show ring.

Guest crickets

ANKC breeds clubs are extremely unlikely to embrace cross breeds or their owners as members. Their general focus is on the breed survival and the show ring.

Yes it is but unless they start looking at ways to increase interest in their registered pure bred dogs it won't be long before they don't have to worry about it at all.

Especially in a breed like Maltese where there is actually massive popularity in the type of dog I just see a huge opportunity to run an associate membership where to join the dog must be chipped/desexed & council registered. Then have fun little 'shows' a couple of time a year along side regular shows where they can just have classes like best groomed, best child/dog, basic elimination obedience contest with sit, drop, stay where last dog standing wins, best trick etc.....all the while the pedigree breeders have a captive audience to show off their dogs too . If jo public felt like part of it I just about guarantee that the demand for ANKC purebred Maltese would increase. It won't happen overnight but neither will just pushing the same old barrow. What better way to fight fire with fire. Reel in all those owners with pet shop bought dogs and gently encourage them towards registered breeders.

Oh well dreams are free!

In about16 yrs of working with dogs, I dont think I've ever come across a pedigree Maltese.

I have Calypso's Pedigree Papers from 1993.

Unfortunately, I doubt you'd come across her even in by looking into her cremation urn. She was cremated using the "services" of the RSPCA and judging from the amount of ashes returned to me, I'd say all the cremations they did were just jumbled in together and ashes just scooped up willy nilly without any thought to the size of the dog.

Yes it is but unless they start looking at ways to increase interest in their registered pure bred dogs it won't be long before they don't have to worry about it at all.

Especially in a breed like Maltese where there is actually massive popularity in the type of dog I just see a huge opportunity to run an associate membership where to join the dog must be chipped/desexed & council registered. Then have fun little 'shows' a couple of time a year along side regular shows where they can just have classes like best groomed, best child/dog, basic elimination obedience contest with sit, drop, stay where last dog standing wins, best trick etc.....all the while the pedigree breeders have a captive audience to show off their dogs too . If jo public felt like part of it I just about guarantee that the demand for ANKC purebred Maltese would increase. It won't happen overnight but neither will just pushing the same old barrow. What better way to fight fire with fire. Reel in all those owners with pet shop bought dogs and gently encourage them towards registered breeders.

Oh well dreams are free!

Sounds good but in reality the breed clubs are in existence to advise the ANKC about breed specific issues etc regarding registration and the standards of their breed and to deal with things associated with showing their breed. .The various state bodies have associate registers to enable dogs without pedigrees to participate but it would make a major change of culture for a bred club to accept cross bred dogs and their owners as members.

That's a shock to me. I've seen them at shows although I haven't been to one for quite a few years now. Considering they're used so much for cross breeding it's a shock to see they're probably actually considered a rare breed now. Although personally they hold no appeal to me to own one, I find it very sad that they are a dwindling breed.

Guest crickets

Oh well dreams are free!

Sounds good but in reality the breed clubs are in existence to advise the ANKC about breed specific issues etc regarding registration and the standards of their breed and to deal with things associated with showing their breed. .The various state bodies have associate registers to enable dogs without pedigrees to participate but it would make a major change of culture for a bred club to accept cross bred dogs and their owners as members.

Yeah I know.

It just seems such a shame that with just a few hundred ANKC registered dogs annually that is a very small group to draw membership from, where in reality there are 10's of thousands of 'maltese type' owners out theer that would probably jump at the chance to feel included and venture out with their much loved dogs. I am by no means putting these ideas forward as promoting the cross breeds, quite the opposite. Reel them in to promote the pure breeds.

I would love to hear of other innovative, fresh, inclusive ideas because with memberships, entries, clubs, registrations dwindling unless someone comes up with something they're doomed. Pushing the same old agenda is clearly not working for purebreed dogs everywhere.

I'll make the analogy to what's happened with the sport of cricket. They took a look at the dwindling interest in a sport lacking relevance to todays faster pace here & now society and made changes that turned the sport on it's head, but also ensured enduring interest & popularity by making it more interesting & accessible.

Edited by crickets

That's a shock to me. I've seen them at shows although I haven't been to one for quite a few years now. Considering they're used so much for cross breeding it's a shock to see they're probably actually considered a rare breed now. Although personally they hold no appeal to me to own one, I find it very sad that they are a dwindling breed.

I became the proud and nervous owner of two Maltese in 1993 - my first dogs for nearly 35 years - LOL. Glad I didn't start with anything bigger.

I was horrified to read that they were one of the top five breeds to be stolen and I lost count of the number of times people stopped me wanting to buy them.

I ended up with locks on my front and back gates and side gate.