Pet Cremation

Chicken

After Fern passed last week I got her cremated and will be hopefully picking up her ashes today.

Just curious, for those of you who have had the pets cremated, where do you put the ashes? Are they on display somewhere or away somewhere private?

Do they come back in a pretty urn? I didn't get to choose anything and mum signed all the paperwork and everything for me as I was too beside myself.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister and I have both had pets cremated through Pets at Peace and the ashes were returned in a little ceramic urn in a greeny colour, quite pretty and subtle. My sister has hers on display with a photo of Winston (her rabbit) when he was alive. I have my cat's ashes away in the cupboard as my dogs have a tendency to destroy things even when I think they can't get to them and I didn't want to risk that.

ETA - I'm sorry for your loss of Fern, run free little one.

Edited by Simply Grand

I'd say to put her urn wherever you are comfortable putting it. It really does come down to personal preference I've found.

A freind of mine recently lost her heart dog, and she found great comfort when the urn was back home - she had her first good night's sleep just knowing that her girl was home again.

T.

I didn't get a urn, Misty came back in a nice box , I could have got a urn , not my thing really so decided plain dog plain packaging lol, she used to love sitting just inside the door and scare the crap out of door salesmen by barking just as they knocked, so she sits just to the side if the door :)

I've only had my first rat cremated so far, she hangs in a little glass jar from the rear-vision mirror of my car. I find it very comforting. It's really up to you what you do with the ashes. Do you want them on display, or to scatter them in Fern's favourite place? You could do a little bit of both. Or you could scatter them in a nice pot plant, that way if you're ever likely to move house you can take her with you.

Chicken - when we lost Jasmine and had her cremated almost 8 yrs ago she came back in a lovely wooden box. I was going to scatter her ashes but James wouldn't let me. I kept her box beside the couch for the first couple of months where she used to lay at night then beside the PC. James took her and keeps her in his room saying when he dies she is to be buried with him.

Place her where ever it gives you comfort.

Edited by Andisa

I'd say to put her urn wherever you are comfortable putting it. It really does come down to personal preference I've found.

Place her where ever her gives you comfort.

As above. Mine (all ten of them) are on top of the bookshelf in the study, where I don't see them every time I walk in, but where I can look at them when I feel the need to "talk" to them all. I have photographs scattered around the house as well.

When my old girl Hilda died I was a mess and just knew I wanted her cremated and returned to me, my budget was limited at the time so she came back in a plastic box with a name plate on it. I have her sitting in the room I use as a dressing room and see her everyday, often give her a pat and feel comfy with her in the box she is in. It may not be attractive to most but she was a very practical girl and seems fitting for her and doesn't mean I don't love her any less.

When our old boy went, we had him cremated and picked out a wooden box, it has his photo embossed on the top with a name and date plaque on it. It sits in a cabinet with his collar and lead.

So sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss. What Fern comes back in depends on what your mother chose. They could come back in a simple scatter tin or in a fancy urn or engraved box. The more elaborate the vessel the more they tend to cost. If you don't like what they're returned in, you could make something yourself to give it a personal touch or re-order another vessel.

All our dogs have been cremated & over the years we have had about 18 done.

Some companies use the most ugliest urns out,some just place them in plastic boxes or velvet bags some companies take for ever to get the ashes back.

We use a company here that is amazing,they use stunning pottery urns & place a message of your choice on there ,They return your dog in days .

For many years they sat in the cup board ,some we spread in there fav spot & 2 years ago some others we placed together in a new tree we planted ,a small number we have kept

Edited by showdog

We got a cat shaped urn with a plaque on it, it says "{pet's name} - leaving paw prints on our hearts". When they picked up our cat after he died we got several brochures with the different urns we could choose as well as different plaques, or we could customise one if we wanted. They also cut a lock of his hair, got his paw prints and they gave us a certificate of cremation. It took about a week to get it back and it cost us about $400, but they were great.

The urn is very decorative and it's on display on a shelf.

Edited by fuzzy82

When we got the ashes back for our Alfred, I couldn't really get the thought of having him sitting in a box so to speak - so we scattered his ashes in the scrub on my brother's country property - it was his favourite place and he always had a ball there - and we can visit often. We still have some of his hair that the vet got for us (he was a bear coat shar pei) that we keep.

My Rotti passed a year and a half ago and I decided to get him cremated. He was done through Pets at Peace and he came in a nice wooden box with a thing on the top where you can slot a photo into it.

We have him sitting on top of the TV unit in our loungeroom next to photos of close friends and family and I have laid his check chain collar on the top of it. Gosh, I am getting teary just writing this and its been a year and a half!

I am very sorry for your loss!

After Fern passed last week I got her cremated and will be hopefully picking up her ashes today.

Just curious, for those of you who have had the pets cremated, where do you put the ashes? Are they on display somewhere or away somewhere private?

Do they come back in a pretty urn? I didn't get to choose anything and mum signed all the paperwork and everything for me as I was too beside myself.

I saw a pet cremation center once on television. I just couldn't remember what country that was but they also offered a place where the ashes of your pets could be kept. The owners could even place flowers, letters or the pet's favorite toys in a box for the deceased pet. It's actually cute and helpful, especially for those people who were really attached with their pets.

When we got the ashes back for our Alfred, I couldn't really get the thought of having him sitting in a box so to speak - so we scattered his ashes in the scrub on my brother's country property - it was his favourite place and he always had a ball there - and we can visit often. We still have some of his hair that the vet got for us (he was a bear coat shar pei) that we keep.

I asked them not to seal Chops's urn for the same reason, I just haven't found what feels right to do with her ashes yet. Being a cat, her favorite thing was lying around in the sun in the garden but we weren't in this house long enough for it to feel right to scatter them here. I like the thought of

a pot plant.