Dogs Scared Of Fireworks & Nye

HeelerLove

Hi all

Sorry if this has been done before, I did search but didn't find much.

Interested to hear some opinions on the best way to treat a dog that is terrified of fireworks whilst they are going off.. Do you think it's better to comfort, or ignore etc etc?

I've read so many conflicting reports and have no idea how I should be going about it!

My boy is terrified of them. I don't know if there is a reason.. He is a rescue and history unknown. He is fine with thunderstorms unless they are particularly loud and has no other fears or issues I've picked up on.

But when fireworks start going off he freaks out. He'll either hide under something and won't come out for anything (not even food, and he loves food lol) or just stand stock still, whole body shaking with his tail between his legs and won't move a muscle.

We had three or four nights with fireworks in the last few weeks and each time I've sat with him and reassured him until they've stopped. I don't mind doing this of course, but I feel like it might be reinforcing his behaviour and perhaps I shouldn't be so soft lol? Just hate seeing him scared! we'll be able to hear the main fireworks at glenelg etc from our place on nye and I'm wondering what will be the best thing to do.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't comfort the dog - it only reinforces the reaction the dog is having.

Get a thunder shirt - I have heard so many good things about them. I have a relative who has a stafford who has gone through the glass door on a few occasions during thunder storms and there has been a huge improvement since she got him a thunder shirt. He still doesn't like them, but he doesn't take off through the closed door or run away, he just hides under the bed..

Make sure the dog is confined and cannot escape the yard or hurt itself. Give it a place that it can hide - if it wants to hide under the bed (I found the bottom of the wardrobe a good dark place for a foster I had here that freaked out.. I just gave her a bowl of water outside the wardrobe and turned the lamp on in there and put some music on. I did check on her and asked if she wanted to come out.. She ended up coming out and got up on the lounge with me and my boy. If I moved she followed me and I let her but made no fuss over it..

I have never had a problem with my dogs over the years, thankfully. But have had 2 fosters that had issues with thunder and firework noises..

I just kept doing what I was doing..

ETA - distraction works wonders to. Play a game, use a squeaky toy and treat when the dog joins in the game.

Edited by Staffyluv

As far as I know, you are reinforcing this behaviour, and that will just make it worse. It sounds harsh, but don't view it as him being scared, view it as nothing more than him exhibiting an unacceptable behaviour. Our rotti Zehra was terrified of storms when we got her (we found this out when we came home after a thunderstorm to find no dog and huge sprays of blood across the front door where she'd been scratching, I felt awful :( )

I started slow, every time there was a little bit of thunder, I'd distract her, making her sit etc. Eventually we got to the point where we would actually go out walking in thunderstorms, and she's fine now :)

Here's a 2-part article on reinforcing fear and thunderstorm phobia which might be helpful -

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/you-cant-reinforce-fear-dogs-and-thunderstorms

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/reinforcing-fear-ii-thunder-phobia-iii

And a video from a seminar at the top of this article -

http://fearfuldogs.com/myth-of-reinforcing-fear/

Edit - the fear is what is sustaining the behaviour, not your reinforcement. If the fear goes the behaviour will go too. Reducing the fear is a much more difficult problem, but don't worry about reinforcing fear.

Edited by TheLBD

The school near us had a big fireworks display and they did warn us beforehand. Anyway forgot about it til this massive bang then realised but both dogs were likewhat was that. Went out the back and could see them - older dog got narky as they woke her up and were too loud so she was charging around growling and barking - younger went and hid refused to follow us outside woudl come to the door and then it got loud and he disappeared.

After I shut the older one inside I stoodout there and watched them myself.

Younger one also woke us up at 4am when there was a loud thunderstorm a month or two back as well despite the older one going to watch through the window (or maybe it was quieter away from him making a fuss). He copies her in a lot of things but obviously isnt going to follow the majority when it comes to thunder and fireworks.

The school near us had a big fireworks display and they did warn us beforehand. Anyway forgot about it til this massive bang then realised but both dogs were likewhat was that. Went out the back and could see them - older dog got narky as they woke her up and were too loud so she was charging around growling and barking - younger went and hid refused to follow us outside woudl come to the door and then it got loud and he disappeared.

After I shut the older one inside I stoodout there and watched them myself.

Younger one also woke us up at 4am when there was a loud thunderstorm a month or two back as well despite the older one going to watch through the window (or maybe it was quieter away from him making a fuss). He copies her in a lot of things but obviously isnt going to follow the majority when it comes to thunder and fireworks.

This is a good post from a previous thread

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/227842-if-your-dog-flys-under-the-coffee-table-and-lays-there-shaking-in-fear-because-of-thunder/page__view__findpost__p__5531180

It is NOT the worst thing you can do! What you are seeing is an emotional response. It is not operative, therefore, it does not fall under the rules of the quadrants. You cannot reinforce it. I repeat, you cannot reinforce it. There is so much confusion around this and it drives me crazy because dogs suffer because people are too afraid to do anything lest they reinforce something that cannot be reinforced with rewards. Positive reinforcement creates a positive emotional state. Fear is a negative emotional state. They are antagonistic. One will win out. "Rewarding" fearful behaviour can only help change a fearful animal's emotional state to a positive one. The confusion I think lies in coddling. Lots of nervous energy around a dog that is already fearful does not make them feel better. Making baby sounds and cooing over them and so on may well make them worse, but not because it is rewarding. It just prepares them to feel frightened and arouses them so they become more reactive. Calm comforting will not make it worse. It probably won't make it better either, but I know dogs that it did help, my own being one of them. Some of us spent years stoically ignoring our fearful dogs because we thought it was best for them, only to try comforting as a last resort when they were old and we figured it couldn't get any worse. If your dog can't settle on their own, there is nothing at all wrong with comforting them if it calms them.
Edited by Jumabaar

I know my dog prefers to be in her soundproof covered over dog run when there is thunderstorms and fireworks going on. My dad built it specially for her and she runs into it before we even know there is a thunderstorm coming. If none of the other suggestions work maybe a covered over crate or something might help.

--Lhok

One of mine has the issue with thunderstorms and fireworks... if she's particularly freaked, I put her into the bathroom with the light off and she settles there happily.

She refuses to go outside if there's a thunderstorm or fireworks going on, so she always has access to the house if I am not there.

I don't comfort her as I don't want a 30k trembling mess on my lap every time there's a storm, but I will let her lie by the couch or my computer chair and occasionally pet her without any noise - which is pretty much the norm around here anyways... *grin*

T.

I hate NYE, the family up the road lets off fireworks out the front every year.

My old dally hates it, he paces and pants and barks at the really loud ones.

He sleeps inside downstairs, and i normally go to bed , but his bark is so loud it always wakes me up, and i lie in bed for about an hour waiting for him to shut up. :(

Stan hates any loud noises. I will be home NYE as always :)

Same stans mum :) we are on hols atm in Mornington Vic. but will be staying home as Stella also absolutely hates loud noises. It will Thunder Shirt,meds & Sonny her BFF + lots of human company :)

Smooch hates loud noises, it will be thundershirt although really the TS has made no difference to him, rescue remedy, does help a little. And a pair of ear muffs. being late t night probably will have Smooch in bed as well with a blanket over his head and holding him very close to me.

My girls dont get out of bed for fireworks or thunderstorms, but Hot Air Balloons are a nightmare!

Still, I have had my dogs 5 years and havent been out NYE since.......just in case. I figure tomorrow night, I will go out the front, watch the fireworks and catch any neighbours dogs running past!

He sleeps inside downstairs, and i normally go to bed , but his bark is so loud it always wakes me up, and i lie in bed for about an hour waiting for him to shut up. :(

One year we had this people letting off very loud and very illegal fireworks close by. Dog went downstairs and staked out the front door (since it vibrated with the loud booms) growling and just not impressed. Wake up next morning to find very grumpy dog who obviously didnt get her sleep overnight - she stayed in that mood all day til she'd had a chance to get proper sleep!

It is NOT the worst thing you can do! What you are seeing is an emotional response. It is not operative, therefore, it does not fall under the rules of the quadrants. You cannot reinforce it. I repeat, you cannot reinforce it. There is so much confusion around this and it drives me crazy because dogs suffer because people are too afraid to do anything lest they reinforce something that cannot be reinforced with rewards. Positive reinforcement creates a positive emotional state. Fear is a negative emotional state. They are antagonistic. One will win out. "Rewarding" fearful behaviour can only help change a fearful animal's emotional state to a positive one. The confusion I think lies in coddling. Lots of nervous energy around a dog that is already fearful does not make them feel better. Making baby sounds and cooing over them and so on may well make them worse, but not because it is rewarding. It just prepares them to feel frightened and arouses them so they become more reactive. Calm comforting will not make it worse. It probably won't make it better either, but I know dogs that it did help, my own being one of them. Some of us spent years stoically ignoring our fearful dogs because we thought it was best for them, only to try comforting as a last resort when they were old and we figured it couldn't get any worse. If your dog can't settle on their own, there is nothing at all wrong with comforting them if it calms them.

Thank god. I get so upset when people say you mustn't comfort your dog because it will just reinforce the behaviour. The dogs is terrified for goodness sake. Anyway, thank god there are some sensible directions coming out.

If you can't sleep because the dog is stressed and barking, go and lie with him. Poor fellow.

Still, I have had my dogs 5 years and havent been out NYE since.......just in case. I figure tomorrow night, I will go out the front, watch the fireworks and catch any neighbours dogs running past!

Good luck with that. So awful to see a dog racing by at 100 miles an hour through pure terror. :(:(

Don't like fireworks anymore. Well, that's not quite true. I can still see the beauty, but I don't get any pleasure because I know that dogs are going to die: run over, cut from going through glass doors, drowning in swimming pools :cry::cry: . Too awful.

They aren't going to be stopped though, so we just have to do everything to try to keep out dogs safe and to spread the word.

BTW, I have a dog who is terrified of storms and even if the skies aren't showing that a storm is imminent, her behaviour is indicative. The vet gave me a few valium tablets and because she is tiny, she gets 1/4 tablet ..... works wonders.

This is a good post from a previous thread

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/227842-if-your-dog-flys-under-the-coffee-table-and-lays-there-shaking-in-fear-because-of-thunder/page__view__findpost__p__5531180

Agree with this.

One of mine is terrified of fireworks and I can't go any where on NYE. What works best for us is putting his thundershirt on, putting him in a soft crate and play music or watch TV too distract a little. I don't coddle but am always right near him to soothe if he is looking worried. I always reward calm behaviour and if he is stressing heaps (if there are loud ones nearby) I always sit on the floor and wrap my arms and legs around him, effectively bear hugging him all the while talking softly and giving him treats. It calms him down so much, much more so than when I spent the first times years ignoring him :)

Depends what works on each individual dog. My other two could care less and will just sleep through it if he is calm.

Edited by tollersowned

Agree with this.

One of mine is terrified of fireworks and I can't go any where on NYE. What works best for us is putting his thundershirt on, putting him in a soft crate and play music or watch TV too distract a little. I don't coddle but am always right near him to soothe if he is looking worried. I always reward calm behaviour and if he is stressing heaps (if there are loud ones nearby) I always sit on the floor and wrap my arms and legs around him, effectively bear hugging him all the while talking softly and giving him treats. It calms him down so much, much more so than when I spent the first times years ignoring him :) Depends what works on each individual dog. My other two could care less and will just sleep through it if he is calm.

And isn't that what it is all about, giving your dog love and security. I bet you feel great too, tollers. :thumbsup::love:

In the past when I had a phobic dog I found a couple of things that helped us get through things like fireworks:

Close the windows, close the drapes and blinds, turn the lights on and have the TV up loud. This puts outside noise and lights more in the background.

Bundle the dogs into the car and go for a drive while they are on. Nothing like a midnight trip through the McDonalds drive through :laugh: