Top Dog And Cat Names - 2012

j

Something worse than boring names is dogs named after their breed. Jack Russells called Jack/Jackie, Pugs calls Pugsley, Dalmatian called Spot, that sort of thing. Like a black cat called Blackie.

I had a black cat called Blackie :laugh: In my defense she was mine and I named her, at age 7 :laugh:

OK, I'll let you get away with that one :p

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the name Bella has been popular since way before Twilight.

My Ella wasn't named because I like the name or think she's my child, she was named for Ella Fitzgerald.

Rolf came with his name.

Joely (cat) needed an androgenous name because he's such a pretty boy. My ex boyfriend's new girlfriend's cat had my name of choice at the time so I couldn't call him Dante because it was just weird. Not saying Dante's androgenous, just that it's what I would have called him.

India came with her name, but I like it anyway and she tends to get called Indi.

My first dog I named Mitzi, can't remember how I chose that. My two Cairns were Hobo & Sara. My heart dog who is no longer with us I named Kenny, after the South Park character, as he was the runt of the litter & the rest of the litter used to beat him up.

My rescue has had two names, the first was Brandy & now it's Cougar.

As soon as I saw the title I knew it was going to be 'Bella'

Surprised 'Mia' and ' Ruby' weren't on the list

We have named our soon to be girl puppy Miah, which most people will think its pronounced Mia, but its actually pronounced Myah.. but the meaning for it is spelt as Miah :)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I don't do people name for pets since I had a dog called Kerry when I was a kid and within a short time we had 1 older brother dating a Kerry and another engaged to a Kerry. Twas very confusing especially as they turned out not to be nice girls and family dinners would wind up with someone yelling 'Kerry' followed by 'oh sorry I meant the bitch' while someone else would then mutter 'yeah but that is all of them' :laugh: so I'm off people names for pets now! I'm yet to meet a person called doofus anyway :laugh:

I have a Cleo. Named for a seal I knew, not the pharaoh (although she acts like a bloody queen!). I want my first male dog to be called Solomon (for another seal I knew) but my next dog will probably be another bitch and I was thinking Lulu as a play on LUA (low uric acid) because that's the sort of Dalmatian it'll be but it's not growing on me. Was a nice joke =] I think i'd like to have a Nala again, Im a die-hard lion king fanatic.

Growing up we had a Bindi, Nala and Meg and my parents now have a Benji.

My birds get strange names, Squeak, Ruby (for her red eyes) and Pheonix, and the babies are Popeye and Cricket.

Working at a pet store where we engrave dog tags, I see lots of variety in names and only a few Bella's.

I don't do people name for pets since I had a dog called Kerry when I was a kid and within a short time we had 1 older brother dating a Kerry and another engaged to a Kerry. Twas very confusing especially as they turned out not to be nice girls and family dinners would wind up with someone yelling 'Kerry' followed by 'oh sorry I meant the bitch' while someone else would then mutter 'yeah but that is all of them' :laugh: so I'm off people names for pets now! I'm yet to meet a person called doofus anyway :laugh:

My Ex partner who owned Kenny's mum Sandy, the same as my name. The number of times people asked his dogs name & he replied Sandy, he used to get a mouthful, because people thought he was talking about me. :rofl:

Edited by mantis

We have an oversize min pony named Sweet Pea.

My sister had a Dobe named Bob and the one she has now is Barry.

I have Flynn, Ted, Elyse,Elly,Sally, Misty, Poppy, Archie, Beau, Haidee, Holly, Jack, Ivee, Millie, Sheldon and a GSD named Buffy.

My husband has a cat called Mrs Black and White.... But she is not black and white, she's white with tabby patches.

I've never been happy with Bella's name as it's so common and associated with 'Twilight' as well. I wish I'd changed her name when she came home, but I love her all the same, even with what would probably be the LAST name I would have chosen!

But it suits her! She really is beautiful.

Or you could rename her and call her 'David' from now on

My dog is called Pasha, but is often just called Harry. My other dog is Zamba (a completely made-up name to prevent my husband calling her - wait for it - 'Zug Zug' which lives on as her nick-name and also my DOL persona). The dog I grew up with was named Winkle.

Suffice to say I will never criticise anyone on the subject of silly dog names ;)

Other dogs' names in this house over the years: Mozart, Kore, Philomena (Mena usually), Kali, Tessa.

Future dog names - Eve or Eva

Edited by Zug Zug

My Ex partner who owned Kenny's mum Sandy, the same as my name. The number of times people asked his dogs name & he replied Sandy, he used to get a mouthful, because people thought he was talking about me. :rofl:

I heard a story of a man who registered his m.i.l with the council as a mongrel bitch & gave her the registration disk as a xmas present.

Something worse than boring names is dogs named after their breed. Jack Russells called Jack/Jackie, Pugs calls Pugsley, Dalmatian called Spot, that sort of thing. Like a black cat called Blackie.

I had a black cat called Blackie :laugh: In my defense she was mine and I named her, at age 7 :laugh:

I had a ginger cat named... you guessed it, Ginger, I was 5 when I named her.

When I was 7 I named a cat smoogey :cooldance::laugh:

I think our names lean towards people names. Those are all the pet I can think of (dogs and cats only) I had growing up and as an adult.

Fluffy (Persian, I didn't choose the name)

Pippa (chose this, bedlington)

Silver Star ( I did chose this, grey tabby)

Roxy (I did choose this, kelpie)

Sasha (chose this, kelpie)

Anna (I did choose this, Persian cross)

Murphy (bedlington, didnt choose this)

Tessa (chose this)

Sparkles (DSH, daughter chose this)

Gingerbread (DSH, son chose this)

I had a dog called Moet when I was little ... I named her for the bottles that were always around our house :rofl:

Now I have Max (female) and Boston (male). Boston's litter brother is Bronx, because when I named Boston (Hugapug Missing in Boston) it started a bit of a litter naming theme with towns.

Thinking back to all the pets I can remember from the time I was little

Dogs

Fred

Bonnie

Frith

Pip

Sheba

Michelin

Miga

Banjo

Jed

Occy

Max

Cats

BN

Sooty

Nhaji

Cali

Mr Blue

Vincent

Monty

Ginger

Ebony

Rabbits

Chilli

Ochre

Bun bun

Missy

Rats

Jezebel

Hepsibah

Hezekiah

Barabas

Tom

Jerry

Turtles

Shadrach (x3) :confused:

Birds

Peter

Cap'n Flint

Jimmy

Lots and lots without names

Heaps and heaps of Guinea pigs, chooks, fish over the years as well. Too many to even try and think what their names were