Heelllpp! I Need Doler Snake Catcher

Nic.B

I picked up a RBB once and relocated it to some local bushland..... Certainly not something I would like to do often. It was a bit over a metre long. They are actually quite amazing if you take the time to watch them. This one was trying to get in our shed so I had to block it. I tried to call our neighbour that does snake stuff but he was at work of course.... This snake was in the garden and even as you watched it, the bloody thing disappeared before your eyes. It was like it was shimmying itself to make the leave mulch come over it. So in effect it hadn't moved along, but one minute you are watching it, the next it had buried itself.......

I couldn't kill it though...... Its only a living animal trying to survive and go about its snake business. I mean a snake has to eat too....

RBB I have been told are generally timid and if there is noise and activity, will hide. They are generally only aggressive if they are threatened or interfered with ie stepped on, cornered, dogs trying to catch them etc.

The Browns are the worst... I think....

I wonder if there is a course or something people can do to be able to get experience handling them.

It would be better than people trying to randomly pick one up.... Like me.laugh.gif But I got it in a feed bag and put it in the car and took it away....... It prob came back but I have't seen it so.............

dasha there are courses in snake handling/control. Some are great, while others....

I agree it is amazing how a snake can disappear like that.... they really are incredible.

I have even 'lost' snakes in their enclosures! They can hide in such small spaces.

The RBB's are a lovely snake. I have a pet one called Elmo and he's just beautiful. :)

I agree about the Brown Snakes.... they do scare me a little, partly maybe because I've had very little chance to handle them and get to know them. We just get lots of Tigers and Copperheads out my way. The odd White-Lipped Snake which I enjoy coming across, although this is becoming less and less frequent.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

under the SA NPW act of 72 there is...

54—Dangerous magpies and poisonous reptiles

(1) It is lawful for any person without any permit or other authority under this Act, to kill

any Australian magpie that has attacked or is attacking any person.

(2) It is lawful for any person without any permit or other authority under this Act, to kill

any poisonous reptile that—

(a) has attacked, is attacking or is likely to attack, any person; or

(b) is in dangerous proximity to any person; or

© is, or has been, in such proximity to a person as to cause reasonable anxiety to

that person.

http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/NATIONAL%20PARKS%20AND%20WILDLIFE%20ACT%201972/CURRENT/1972.56.UN.PDF

So technically if you come across one that scares the bejeebers out of you, you can kill it :confused:

Only had two browns that have actually lunged for me [one left slobber on my boot...well yeah I know it wasn't slobber but that's my brain's way of saying I was lucky] and another time the same one lunged 3 times in quick succession when I went out the front door. Never jumped 3 times so quick in my life lmao...quick, fiesty lil bugga too. But I just let them be, snakes can't help being well snakes lol. Normally they just slither off quietly, but you get the odd one or two who decide to do things differently.

I am not a fan of browns..they and King Browns are mostly what we have left ..no more tigers, and very few RBB's .

Browns are way too quick and cryptically coloured for me ....

I love RBB's , and wish we had more . (but like any..NOT around the house:( there is zero tolerance for that)

I looked up Victorian snakes on the Museum of Vic site and the RBB and some forms of the copperhead look almost identical to me. I doubt very much that I could tell them apart.

You are not alone there Kirislin.... most people mis-identify snakes.

I have people tell me they have a huge (HUGE!!) Brown Snake in their yard, only to find a 3' Copperhead Snake.

The thing is, some snakes vary so much in color too.... where we live a Copperhead can a lovely red and orange color, or as dark as charcoal with a pale belly. To anyone inexperienced they would appear to be very different species of snake.

I think this is one of the most important reasons why people should not try to catch/kill a snake themselves, because chances are they don't even know what it is!

This is important in other states (other than Vic, Tas etc) where Pythons abound. Often completely harmless, beautiful snakes are hacked to death because someone "feared for their life", assuming it was a venomous snake.

The thing is, some snakes vary so much in color too.... where we live a Copperhead can a lovely red and orange color, or as dark as charcoal with a pale belly. To anyone inexperienced they would appear to be very different species of snake.

I keep finding copperheads whenever I visit Narawntapu national park (top of Tassie)and if I didn't know better I'd say they were red bellies. They are black with flame red bellies and quite hefty, some are around 2 inches across. Absolutely beautiful. I had one hunting all around my feet one time. I stood still and he/she just pottered about a few inches next to my shoes examining every nook and tuft of grass for food.

(Ok, I'm not superman, I was inwardly cringing when it brushed up against my foot :o )

Edited by cannibalgoldfish

Nic, I will PM you the mobile number of one of the WIRES snake catchers. He lives here in St Clair, but may be able to help or at least give you the contact details of someone who can. That way you are bypassing WIRES.

The last snake we had here I rang WIRES and they said they wouldn't send someone out because the snake would have gone by the time they got there. When I explained that it was in my chook shed they ended up getting this guy. Turned out he only lived up the road from me. He came within five minutes. :) He said it was the biggest brown snake he had ever seen! :eek: He had quite a fight with it rearing up and smashing around in the chook shed, but eventually caught it. He had people coming that afternoon to pick up snakes from him so he said he would give it to them. They were on their way to Canberra the next day for an emergency services snake handling training day and he reckoned that was far enough away. He said he didn't want a snake that big anywhere near his house! :)

ETA: I tried to send you a PM, but it said you cannot receive any new messages. I would prefer not to put his number on here, so PM me if you want it. :)

Thank you Wendy, gosh that is scary beyond words, browns scare the life out of me. We had one in the house yard as soon as the weather warmed up. As kids growing up on a property and always in the bush, my sisters and I had "JUMP, SNAKE!!!" down pat. It was always a brown and OMG they can get P-off quickly :eek:

I looked up Victorian snakes on the Museum of Vic site and the RBB and some forms of the copperhead look almost identical to me. I doubt very much that I could tell them apart.

You are not alone there Kirislin.... most people mis-identify snakes.

I have people tell me they have a huge (HUGE!!) Brown Snake in their yard, only to find a 3' Copperhead Snake.

I think this is one of the most important reasons why people should not try to catch/kill a snake themselves, because chances are they don't even know what it is!

This is important in other states (other than Vic, Tas etc) where Pythons abound. Often completely harmless, beautiful snakes are hacked to death because someone "feared for their life", assuming it was a venomous snake.

the copperhead I caught here with my barbeque tongs was almost black and with a cream belly from memory. It had markings I've never seen before, on its neck, reminded me of the markings on a cobra, looked almost like an omega sign. I only knew it was a copperhead because I saw a photo of one with the same markings shortly after at Healesville sanctuary.

The RBB's are a lovely snake. I have a pet one called Elmo and he's just beautiful. :)

Photo???

I like snakes and wish they could be left alone, but where i live we are in a set of 20 units, we range from 90 year old ladies who spend all day every day into their garden down to i guess it would be me - pregnant with a new born only weeks away. It isnt safe to let them have run of the place when they do show up

My brother has a snake (python of some sort) and i love him, im one of the few people who will walk in and hold him, everyone else is scared of him! I think they are amazing animals... when not in my backyard!

Just an update; sorry I have not been back to let you all know what has been happening, things have been so very busy.

The wires guys came out again and think he lives under the house :cry: so I have to be so very careful. Why he was so cranky I don't know and neither do they though he was obviously on a mission.

It is IMO a series of unfortunate events that have led to this and I thought I would share to perhaps help others.

The house yard and property have been undisturbed (not much activity) for months as I have been travelling so much to spend time with my parents. The dogs come with me.

The house yard and paddocks have not been maintained as much as they would be normaly. Normaly the house yards and paddocks are pretty imaculate, they are not overgrown atm and most would say the yards and paddocks are great though it has been a change.

I have recently rescued two chooks and now have another special needs chook and three ducks. The ducks have a large pool to swim in so water is out that would not have been otherwise. I removed a pond years ago as I had three RRB in one summer and I was convinced they were coming for water. Did not have the same issues again until now.

The dogs water and pools are on my large deck, I have never had an issues with that.

The chooks and ducks free range in a safe area near the house so I can keep an eye on them. I clean the area daily, sometimes 2x daily though it is another change and snakes/chooks is an issue.

My stress level were through the roof for a number of reasons and this contributed. I freaked out as I simply did not have time to deal with a snake. I just wish he went away the first time!

I live on a property surrounded by national park etc, it gets very hot here and we have had almost no rain for a while.

The horses are not at home, so the surrounding paddocks are also undisturbed.

In hindsight, intead of forcing the snake away from the house three times It would have been better for me to let it go and "observe" where it was headed. That way I would be better informed on what areas to be really careful of. If it went under the house I could have blocked it up and called someone to take him away. If it went for the chook/ducks I would have known it was after water/food etc.

We have thousands of frogs around the house, it might have been after them?

Anyway the naughty bandit has not been back that I can see. I must admit I am now a little pre occupied watching for him any chance I have. The bio recycle guy is a lovely old character, was here yesterday and was very upset I would not let the dogs out (as he adores them). He had a good look for the snake though could not find any sign of him where I saw him last.

IMO mangement and supervision is crucial and the only answer (for me) in regard to my gorgeous four legged friends during summer. My dogs do not go outside until I have done a yard check, then I am with them the entire time. At least that way I can call them back/and or will know that they have been bitten so that I can get them to my vet in time.

The yard work is underway and I will be home much more often now. It has taken me hours to send this post as I have been on the phone, sorry.

Thanks so much guys for your help :)

Photo???

I like snakes and wish they could be left alone, but where i live we are in a set of 20 units, we range from 90 year old ladies who spend all day every day into their garden down to i guess it would be me - pregnant with a new born only weeks away. It isnt safe to let them have run of the place when they do show up

My brother has a snake (python of some sort) and i love him, im one of the few people who will walk in and hold him, everyone else is scared of him! I think they are amazing animals... when not in my backyard!

Here you go.... my beautiful Elmo. *Named by my kids.... :o

He was about 18 months at a guess in this pic.

I must take some new photos of him as he's a big, beautiful boy now! :love:

post-14146-0-57200200-1358313567_thumb.jpg

See him smiling???? Proof that he doesn't want to hurt anyone! :)

Edited by jerojath

Photo???

Here you go.... my beautiful Elmo. *Named by my kids.... :o

He was about 18 months at a guess in this pic.

I must take some new photos of him as he's a big, beautiful boy now! :love:

post-14146-0-57200200-1358313567_thumb.jpg

I have friends with pythons and that is pretty cool but whoa that is full on having a venomous snake as a pet! :eek:

nic- glad there have been no more sightings ..he probably only comes out at night now - he's learned what crazy things happen in daylight hours!!!

He will be eating frogs .. and probably mice , too.

It's a worry having a venomous boarder ..but as said RBB's are very tolerant.

Hopefully all the activity will encourage him to move out !