80kg Rottweilers - Is This Legit?

Simply Grand

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have met an 82 kg Rottweiler. He was at the higher end of the height scale but also morbidly obeses and did not live his natural life span. He died suddenly of a heart attack.

WHy people want huge Rottweilers is beyond me...................

An older guy from work always tells me how small my Rotty's are. Too small for his liking.

He tells me his biggest was in the 95kg mark and the size of a lion :( bragging.

He and his wife proudly & badly bred a litter years ago- more than half died.

Depending on the day he tells it one of his Rotty's was 94 kgs. Brags that he never desexed any of the males as it gave them " edge".

He has also said it was 84kgs... Just depends if he thinks it will really impress.

Bigger is better to him- he proudly tells me the Vet said that his dog's balls were the biggest the Vet had ever seen.

I have to turn away so he can't see me laughing at the proud balls comment.

This legendary Rotty from 20 years ago died in his sleep from a heart attack at 5 years old

:( .They are very ignorant and set in their beliefs. I'm just so glad they don't " breed" or have Rotts anymore.

Edited by MelissaS

I can't even imagine having an 80kg dog and I live with one that just reached 50! If they truly are this weight my biggest fear would be the hips :(

Yep, I'm with you on that thought! The thought of people breeding massively oversized rottweilers from dogs which I highly doubt have been anywhere near hip/elbow x-raying and scoring...... just the potential for joint problems makes my blood run cold.

I thought that the German lines were more the shorter and stockier type - nicely turned out dogs...

The largest Rotti boy I ever had was very leggy and long fellow that weighed in at 47kg - he was quite a lean boy and was not easy to keep the weight on. He was also a pet shop purchase, so who knew what parentage he had? He was also the biggest sooky lala you would ever meet... bigger doesn't necessarily mean "tougher"... lol! He died of bone cancer at the age of 7... *sob*

My papered Rotties were all in the 35-40kg range - which was actually not small at all... funnily enough, the general public would always guess their weights as much higher than that.

My latest puppy is Great Dane cross (crossed with something stockier), and we are quessing that her final weight range may be in the 45-55kg range... and that's no small dog! Her last weigh in tipped the scales at 19kg at 19 weeks, and she's nearly as tall as my Labrador now too.

I really can't imagine an 80kg Rotti... it would be immense... and in my eyes... ugly...

T.

So some acquaintances of mine tell me they are getting a Rotti pup shortly, the bitch is currently pregnant.

Apparently these breeders (I don't know who they are) breed from German lines to produce very large dogs. The sire of this litter is apparently 80kgs, the dam around 70kg. The phrase "nice big heads" also came up.

Anyone know if there are reputable breeders around producing Rottis that big? Can they even be pure bred?

LOL this kind of thing cracks me up. For some reason some people really get off on the whole mine is bigger than yours. Majority of Great Danes are around 60-70 kilos with the biggins being around 70-80 kilos - I highlyly doubt a healthy (not obese) Rotti would be that much.

I can't even imagine having an 80kg dog and I live with one that just reached 50! If they truly are this weight my biggest fear would be the hips :(

Same Aussie..

I was used to Ollie dog who was around 20-22kg most of his life and he could be a handful,

I now have Zig who is 26-27kg and he is about as much animal as I can handle.. I seriously can't imagine a dog that big.

My brothers old Rott, Reb, was a big boy but I don't remember him being over 40kg ever.. He was tall, muscular but still lean (for a Rott)..

Such a beautiful breed, one wonders why someone would want to mess with it to make it different to the standard..

So some acquaintances of mine tell me they are getting a Rotti pup shortly, the bitch is currently pregnant.

Apparently these breeders (I don't know who they are) breed from German lines to produce very large dogs. The sire of this litter is apparently 80kgs, the dam around 70kg. The phrase "nice big heads" also came up.

Anyone know if there are reputable breeders around producing Rottis that big? Can they even be pure bred?

LOL this kind of thing cracks me up. For some reason some people really get off on the whole mine is bigger than yours. Majority of Great Danes are around 60-70 kilos with the biggins being around 70-80 kilos - I highlyly doubt a healthy (not obese) Rotti would be that much.

:offtopic:

sas I just noticed the dane in your signature - a Harlequin dane?

I have a 'friend' who just bought a puppy and it is an amstaff cross harlequin dane.. He tried to tell me that a harlequin dane was a breed all its own and not just a colour.. I know nothing about this and was wondering if you could clarify for me - PM is fine if you don't want to take this thread off track..

Sorry OP :)

Sheesh, My male Pyr is only 65kg (and he is far from small! - 74.5 cm at the shoulder and solid). People are often disappointed when they hear how much he weighs as they are always sure he is more :laugh: . No way could I imagine an 80kg Rottie.....:mad

An 80kg Rottie would be mastiffsive. I can't even imagine a Rottie of that size.

Well, a well known guard dog training centre in Sydney which has Rottie's says, these dogs can easily weigh more than us humans., so this may be where the craze started?

Edited by poochmad

We have a 24/25 week old rotti male at home at the moment, he weighs in at 27.5/28 kga at the moment, and seems to be putting on about a kilo a week. However he is quite leggy for his size, and its all muscle at the moment. While he is still growing I will keep the feed up to him, however I will cutting it back when he seems to level out a bit. His father is 62kgs, his brother from another litter (same mum) is 65kgs. But at the moment they are both working dogs in peak condition as well, absolutely magnificent animals. They are also quite leggy for a rotti, which I prefer over the shorted stockier type. I am pouring the food into this one at the moment as well as he needs to be able to cope with the medical stuff he is battling with, but he keeps growing so I figure I am doing something right :laugh:

edited cause I can't spell 'the' apparently lol

Edited by piperspal

Sheesh, My male Pyr is only 65kg (and he is far from small! - 74.5 cm at the shoulder and solid). People are often disappointed when they hear how much he weighs as they are always sure he is more :laugh: . No way could I imagine an 80kg Rottie.....:mad

Yup! Zac (Irish Wolfhound) is "only" 77kg. But then I still get people telling me that their Mother's, Cousin's, Uncle's best mate had one that was much bigger. :rofl:

Like others have said I think there are some people out there that just have to have the biggest badest [insert breed here] :(