White Coat Looking Dirty

Staffyluv

Zig is mainly dark brindle but has 4 white feet and white on his chest and a bit on his tummy.

He is washed in Aloveen when he has a tub, which isn't that often, maybe once a month or so.

He swims every morning in the local park pond and his coat is really soft and shiny but I have noticed the white of his coat seems to look 'dirty'.

I liked it better when it was really white.

He does seem to have sensitive skin (why I don't bath him much as it seems to irritate him - have tried malaseb and aloveen, the latter seems to be best), so do I just accept that he is a grubby guy and his lovely white is not going to be lovely and white or is there something I can add to his food or do for his coat that will help keep his white, white?

Thanks

PS he is just a pound mutt, so it is not overly important - I just prefer it nice and white.

If you aren't showing I wouldn't use a whitening shampoo. They can be really tough on skin and coats. My westies are a lovely shade of brown at the moment cos the backyards a dust bowl. Doesn't worry me but if it did I'd use a dilute apple cider vinegar bath (diluted 1:5) to clean them up - good for skin and coat.

Or Ernys calendula tea solution - some find that can leave a yellowish tinge where I've found the white coats come up well with it, and again, good for skin. :)

Thanks all,

I had heard that about the whitening shampoos, so I guess I won't be giving them a go.

WM he is no show dog (not even a purebred :) )..

Ollie had very little white on him, so I never really noticed that white could get dirty looking.

Zig's white looks like the skin is showing through and of late (this is only a current thing) it looks like it is always dirty.

It might go back to very white once summer is over and he is not swimming so much - I hope so, it looks so nice when it is really white.

Fido's white and bright is used by a clinic I used to work at, it was used on some really itchy dogs and the results were good. Generally done with Fido's then gone over again with aloveen to soothe the skin. Might be worth looking at

Second this.

I use the Fido's White and Bright on the hellhound and his skin and coat look really great. He's mostly white and seems to attract dirt/odd smells (like dead bird :/ ) so he gets bathed at least once a week- we've never had any skin issues from it.

I think it's worth pointing out that there are two types of whitening shampoos; ones that use blue/violet pigments to cancel out yellow staining (like the Fido's) and onces that use bleaching agents to remove staining. Then there are some that combine the two methods.

I use eucalyptus wool wash all over my dogs, then soap up the whites with blue shampoo such as silver tails.

Re itchy skin, after you have rinsed Zig thoroughly, do a final rinse of approx 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 warm water and do not rinse it out.

I find that the eucalyptus wash suits even my very sensitive skinned boy, and combining it with the blue shampoo on the white parts he gets no reaction. I was told about the vinegar rinse many years ago by an old breeder, and it makes a huge difference.

Equinade Glo White will make the whites look shiny and white again.

Wash him with that shampoo and then spray the whites with Equinade Show Silk Hair Polish, rub that in and let it dry. The show silk puts a protective coating on the hair and it repels mud and dirt. It acts a bit like a porosity equaliser and smooth over the cuticle preventing the dirt sticking to the hair shaft.

I'd just wash the white bits in Sunlight soap and then shampoo as normal. Rub the soap on, work it in and then rinse off and shampoo.

I actually have that here and will give it a go tomorrow..

Thanks for all the ideas folks - I knew I would get the answer if I asked.

just to clarify, are you saying the whites aren't so white right after a bath or that the whites get grubby quickly from his life style?

The white patches don't seem to be white, even after a bath. They used to be really white but now seem grubby all the time..

It would definitely be from lifestyle - he is a total mud monster and will play in any available water, puddle or mud...

I just liked it better when the patches were really white.

It is not that big a deal - he is just a pound mutt, he just looked prettier when the white was white (not a creamy dull colour).

Have you tried potato flour or Plush Puppies Wonder Wash which is a shampoo you spray on, lather up, towel dry & leave it (no rinsing). I use the Wonder Wash on my BC girls white bits when I want to give them a lift. I have also heard of using Sards Soap on the white bits, but havn't tried it.

Maybe some of his coloured coat is infiltrating his white patch, which is why it looks grubby? Ie: coloured hairs scattered through it?

I never thought of that - I will take him out in the sunshine tomorrow and have a good look after I give him a wash with the aloveen and then the sunlight soap on the white bits.

It is not that big a deal - he is just a pound mutt, he just looked prettier when the white was white (not a creamy dull colour).

doesn't matter where they come from or what their breeding is, we all like our dogs to look their best :D