Bitten By A Snake... Waiting For The Vets To Call :(

miss2

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sorry to hear about Spud. That is one of my worst (dog-related) nightmares.

Sending Spud positive, healing vibes. Take care.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen hundreds of dogs bitten by snakes mainly our common black snake the Tiger Snake.

I have rarely seen a dog react to antivenin and never seen one react so severely it has caused death. Normal protocol at our vet hospital is to give Histantin when treating with anti-venom to ensure that any reaction is stopped or minimised.

We have also treated dogs whom have been bitten without testing for envenomation first. None of those dogs ever reacted severely.

Not all clinics carry venom detection kits.

I have also seen dogs come in purple as they are that paralysed they cannot maintain their own airway, amazingly many of these walked out days later after aggressive treatment.

I guess what I am saying is yes our snakes are deadly but you got him there quickly, he is getting treatment and it will knock him around but chances are looking good for your boy.

Everything crossed here.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and Spud tonight Miss2. How frightening for you. Its very lucky your husband was there when it hapenned and could have him to the vet so quickly.

It will be a long night for you without your Spud at home but he is in the very best place for now.

Hugs to you :hug:

Caroline.

If he's anything like our Spud, he'll pull through just fine.

Our Spuddy boy has had bloat/bowel tortion, a tick, growth plate injury.

They build Spuds tough.

Best wishes from our Spuddy to yours for a speedy recovery.

Spuds ok :) he made it through the night and seems to be ok- on my way to visit and talk to the vet now squeeeeee

Don't want to even think about the bill lol but as long as I have my boy back I don't care :)

Thanks again everyone, having kind words makes things a bit easier. He's home now and happy. He was crazy happy when I picked him up, the vets said he chewed 2 drip things out of his leg lol

I have never been so happy to be able to cuddle my little man, hubby even had me bring him to him at work on our way home!

We made the right decision and the vet said the best thing was that we got him there as soon as we did.

They didn't give me any ABs? I might ask them about it tomorrow.

Thank you thank you thank you again for your thoughts and positive hope- I have my little man back and I couldn't ask for anything more!