Hypothetical....

Dame Aussie

Whilst answering the questions on the survey in General re pets and disasters, one of them was about whether or not you would stay at home with your animals if there was no way to evacuate them in an emergency.

Assuming there is an emergency and there is a way for you to evacuate safely, but it means leaving your pets behind, would you go or stay with the animals?

I would stay with them and do my best to keep us all safe. I couldn't bare the thought of leaving them and something happening to them, might be stupid, but I really don't think I could go :shrug:

I'm interested in other peoples opinions, would you stay or go?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was discussing this with my husband only a few days ago and I told him that if there was no way of getting the animals out then I'd stay with them. Most years we have at least one cyclone warning and as our house is coded it is safest for us to stay here anyway. My husband is Army so I also know that we won't go without food and water in such an emergency and we could keep the animals with us. If we had to get in the car and leave our house I'd bring all 4dogs and our cockatoo but depending on circumstances I'd leave the cats and the snake if I didn't have any other choice :(

I would stay.

In the case of evacuations I think it's negligent that government and council don't make reasonable allowances (by reasonable I mean if the facilities are available which can accomodate animals they should be utilised). I'm not talking about unreasonable demands I wouldn't expect extra facilities for horses for example (unless they already existed eg if a showground was an evacuation centre and already had plenty of yards available) but I think that a reasonable allowance should be made for the average pet. The government is happy to acknowledge the health and community benefits that pets and animals provide, so they should also acknowledge the role pets can play in how well an individual and community can recover from disaster and where reasonable accomodation can be made available it should be.

I also believe that pet owners should be educated about the best strategy in a crisis, and be aware of where they can and should go if they have time to evacuate.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Oh no, I must have missed this question (or answered it wrongly)... I don't remember it.

I would find a way to evacuate with my pets. I can't see how it would be a problem because I don't live in a bush fire area. All I have to do is pop them in the car and drive off.

eta

I guess the answer is to be prepared and leave early (with your pets).

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I made a point at the end to say that I would probably evacuate earlier BECAUSE I would want to get my animals out well before it was an emergency situation. I think there are plenty of others who make the same decision- so they would probably have better compliance if they did have evac points for people with animals

I think I said I would probably stay with my animals.

I also pointed out that I would have a much BETTER disaster strategy plan if I knew well in advance (aka when there was no disaster looming) which places would accept me and my dogs (which would be crated).

Edited by Jumabaar

I've been thinking about this too, watching people get airlifted out of flood waters. I was imaging if I had the animals with me and they wouldn't take them what I would do. I just don't think I could leave them alone and frightened and really with no chance :( But that would mean I would not really have a chance either.

So I agree Jumabaar, if there was serious risk I would gather the animals and leave early, rather than stay and try to save the house or anything.

I'm lucky not to live in a high risk area of floods or bushfires though, and should have plenty of notice to get out.

Its a difficult question. I would try to evacuate early with them if possible, theres been many cases people haven't ! icon_smile_mad.gif

we only have small pets so it would most properly be easier enough to take them with us, unlike people with horses and stock crying.gif

Luckily we dont live in a high risk area for bushfires, floods etc altho we do live near a beach! but if there was a rare Tsunami then I think we would be fairly safe since we are on a high part of our area.

I would like to think if it got to that point, I would stay with our pets, i couldn't imagine leaving them in my wildest dreams, but when its a survival thing, who knows at the time what one would do in that situation confused.gif Hopefully we will never have to face it !

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

When I asked this of the husband he said if our life was in danger and there was no warning, he would force me to leave the dogs behind as they can be replaced. I think it would be a fight if that was to occur as I would try to take them with me regardless.

I can't imagine a life without my two - that would be heartbreaking so if I had prewarning I would leave before I was forced to choose (or fight with husband).

The US has a PETS Law because so many people choose to stay with their pets. Counties not only have to have disaster plans ready, but they must contain plans for evacuating pets.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusfd2006pl109_308.htm

I heard on ABC radio during the worst of the Bundaberg flood that man turned down a chance to be taken out by a helicopter because he wouldn't leave his dog. Someone went in on a jet ski & brought them both out.

Impossible to answer what you would do without any warning but given the greater majority of scenarios happen with prior warning then i would be ready to go there & then .

We are prepared ,even with our kennels the trailers are always ready with loop leads in all bays ,loop leads on all doors,crates in the cars & we have options where to go to .

It amazes me how many cat people for example don't own cat crates that live in higher risk areas.

The best thing you can do to ensure maximum chances is to be prepared .

We have helped a few friends over the years evacuate & they did 't have enough leads,leads where in another area etc etc,It made it so much harder & stressful than simply having all the items ready or easily accessible .

I wold get my dogs out any means possible but i am also aware that in s mall instance i may have to makea decision that isn't pleasant

I'd always leave early. However, sometimes things happen without any warning (eg your house catches on fire, you have very, very limited time to get out. Finding pets could mean you don't make it).

For the people who say stay: Would you stay if it meant dying? At what probability of death would you leave? Often people stay and defend but I doubt they think they will really die.

I'd always leave early. However, sometimes things happen without any warning (eg your house catches on fire, you have very, very limited time to get out. Finding pets could mean you don't make it).

For the people who say stay: Would you stay if it meant dying? At what probability of death would you leave? Often people stay and defend but I doubt they think they will really die.

Too hard to calculate a probability of dying in most situations, too many dependent factors. Either way I doubt I could live with myself if I left them, I would cling to whatever slim chance there was of suriviving or at least minimizing suffering. I don't have kids so the choice is somewhat less complicated for me than it would be for many others.

If I had kids I'm 100% sure I'd feel differently. Saving the kids would be absolute priority and I think I would be less inclined to risk myself for the animals if I had kids.

I also don't judge anyone who feels they would leave their pets if they had to, it's such a personal thing. I really hope none of us have to go through it (although I know there are those who have :( )

In a fire I think I would fight to get the animals out until I physically couldn't.

Just a quicky i did see on the QLD floods a man being rescued via the helicopter in the cage/winch and they brought his little terrier (looked like an aussie)up with him.

I know its not always feasible with large dogs but i honestly wanted to hug the pilot and rescuers for letting him carry his little dog up with him.