I Made A Would Be Adopter Cry

Guest muttrus

Interesting topic it is. I had a very bad experience with DRN, trying very passionately for three weeks, to adopt their puppy Dallas. I was too honest upfront, that went straight against me, ended with the carer stating that he was adopted, and the admin. stating that he was still for adoption. They deleted my posts on their FB page, where I enquired about him, and blocked me out ever since, I cannot post anymore, or pm them, I became their enemy number one.

I offered the pup 120 acres to live on, two GWP's as company, told them I loved the pup, and will keep any animal I take. I just went about this the wrong way, typical me. What are these standover tactics used for??

I wonder how many dogs are still waiting out there for adoption, with people who are wanting them badly, getting knocked around. Sick of all this, I now have done my own rescue, and rehomed a poor stray from Brocken Hill Pound.

I am showered with love and his full attention, the pup never leaving my side. He had veterinary attention, and now is gaining weight and full of life again. Bad person that I am, can buy pedigree dogs from breeders, but not good enough to adopt a pup from DRN. :confused:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic it is. I had a very bad experience with DRN, trying very passionately for three weeks, to adopt their puppy Dallas. I was too honest upfront, that went straight against me, ended with the carer stating that he was adopted, and the admin. stating that he was still for adoption. They deleted my posts on their FB page, where I enquired about him, and blocked me out ever since, I cannot post anymore, or pm them, I became their enemy number one.

I offered the pup 120 acres to live on, two GWP's as company, told them I loved the pup, and will keep any animal I take. I just went about this the wrong way, typical me. What are these standover tactics used for??

I wonder how many dogs are still waiting out there for adoption, with people who are wanting them badly, getting knocked around. Sick of all this, I now have done my own rescue, and rehomed a poor stray from Brocken Hill Pound.

I am showered with love and his full attention, the pup never leaving my side. He had veterinary attention, and now is gaining weight and full of life again. Bad person that I am, can buy pedigree dogs from breeders, but not good enough to adopt a pup from DRN. :confused:

And how very happy we are too gwp4me that you took on this dog . Youre obviously a wonderful home for him and sorry you had the bad experience with the other rescue.

We always try to reply to enquiries the same day if possible...in fact a lot of people email back to say they are surprised to hear back so quickly.

We dont have an adoption form to fill in but prefer to talk to people on the phone, then follow up with a home check etc if they sound suitable.

I expect you all think this is a silly question, but why must a rescue dog sleep inside?

If it has a warm kennel in a secure yard in a secure garden, what's the problem with it sleeping in that kennel?

Guest muttrus

And how very happy we are too gwp4me that you took on this dog . Youre obviously a wonderful home for him and sorry you had the bad experience with the other rescue.

We always try to reply to enquiries the same day if possible...in fact a lot of people email back to say they are surprised to hear back so quickly.

We dont have an adoption form to fill in but prefer to talk to people on the phone, then follow up with a home check etc if they sound suitable.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Im sorry you had a bad experience Ive sent you an email with a link feedback no matter what is the only way we can truely understand how the public feels as they see it from their point of view Ive taken what I hear and work on it we are all different My biggest hurtle is trying not to swear I swear just in normal conversation I mean it to be horrible its like english to me so I try to speak slower and not say the first thing that pops in my head :D

Guest muttrus

I expect you all think this is a silly question, but why must a rescue dog sleep inside?

If it has a warm kennel in a secure yard in a secure garden, what's the problem with it sleeping in that kennel?

Don"t know different dogs different rules different rescues ???? For me each dog is different and I believe the owner should have the choice to decide where their dog sleeps .You"re right a warm dry safe place doesn"t have to be inside the house .Here we have an outside covered deck an open shed the carport some clean kennels up the back and inside .The dogs toddle off and sleep where they want all spaces have a blanket /raised bed/ are covered clean safe dry

There are some great things available to buy now great outdoor kennels beds or even get them made .

My dogs boxer and cavalier slept inside in a pen in our old house plus the boxer had a moo moo coat for outside in winter time, last year we moved to a very small house but squeezed them inside in horrible weather then I brought them a Hound House canvas kennel it is the best thing I put a doona in and it was under the pergola, sadly Samantha the boxer died in december so Digger has slept inside and out he wouldn't go in the hound house so I took out there woollen blanket they where using together and the one we placed Sammy on when she died to take her to the vet for cremation, washed the kennel and he got straight in. But on the weekend my husband built a new outdoor lounge set we brought and guess what Diggers new bed is ???

We even bring the new guinea pigs inside if its to hot or to wet, my husband wants chickens but I have said NO, I can not fit smelly chickens in the house, plus we have 3 cats.lol

Just to bring up another issue I have noticed some rescues seem to charge alot for there dogs, and yes I know they have all there vet work done but really ???

Guest muttrus

Just to bring up another issue I have noticed some rescues seem to charge alot for there dogs, and yes I know they have all there vet work done but really ???

FOR ME ---The adoption fee varies I don"t have a cheap vet and no other choice given I don"t drive So my fee"s must cover the vet costs .If the dog is an adult they are a donation as they had been desexed before coming to me. My vet charges more for females .For puppies its $300 that includes desexing vaccinations chip flea treatment worming etc ----Older teenage dogs are usually $200-$250 with same desexed etc and some are a donation .

As long as I cover my outlay Im ok I catch a taxi to and from the vet $25 each way but thats ok draw backs of not driving.

Ive been extremely lucky in the fact my dogs haven"t needed any extra vet work except for an odd blood test or tooth removed .I also don"t have a mass amount of dogs at once so adoption fee goes around and around helping the next one .I pay for the food etc myself but thats ok Im the carer but I take them to the vet etc so I have a ""kitty"" for that Anything over the kitty I send to the rescuer to help the dogs in her care.

Its not about sticking to a set price each dog is differentI like to think with a saving they can buy a fancier bed collar lead whatever .I think the notion of ""if you can"t afford the $400 you can"t look after a dog "" is rather BLAH I don"t have a wad of cash and be able to pay rent buy food and pay bills all at the same time yet I look after my 5 dogs and foster dogs REALLY WELL apart from the unforseen most dog care bills are monthly like flea treatments 3 months for worming yearly for vaccinations these things we know and can plan for I often buy things before I need them because they"re on special hahahhaha But Im small and don"t have alot of dogs to pay for so I deal with the ones I have .BUT also our dogs aren"t from the pound and the rescuer treats them before coming to me so apart from the normal and maybe mange now and then . Im guessing the adoption fee"s don"t just cater for that one dog but them all and is used for any and all those who need it.

Because if we don't cover our costs we'll go under and not be able to save any more dogs or cats. As well as desexing there is vaccinations (two or three for puppies), microchipping, defleaing and worming. If there's any additional vet work that needs doing, such as dentals or other surgery we try and cover that out of rescue funds, but can't always do so. We subsidise all the food ourselves.

We try and set our adoption fees so that there is a bit of profit on the small, young dogs to cover vet costs for bigger animals or ones which need more work. It's a matter of survival for us. We have a dog who needs a couple of thousand dollars worth of orthopedic surgery ... we're too small a group to attract the kind of donations that RWL or Pound Rounds do, so we have to try and save up the costs from a very small profit on each dog.

I sometimes think there is a perception that rescue groups get the dogs for free so why charge so much for them? It's a bit like when I go into an Op Shop and see some exorbitant price on something and mutter under my breathe about how they got it for free in the first place and most of the staff volunteer so how the hell can they justify themselves! But the reality is there can be release fees, transport fees, quarantine fees, medication, vetwork, micro-chipping, heart worm tests, worm meds, collars, leashes, bedding, crates, quality food. The list goes on and on.

A good rescue is endeavouring to provide an adopter with a dog in good health, with knowledge of their individual habits and quirks and basic training. Some dogs cost more money to bring to an adoptable level. I don't know any rescue group personally up this way that operates in profit (excluding RSPCA here) and I also don't know any personally that have paid employees (exc RSPCA and AWL).

As a foster carer I am very lucky to have been provided with certain items by my rescuer (crates, food, medication) but I am also out of pocket for things like transport, treats and extra fresh food (like chicken necks and carcasses) and because of the type of dogs I've had I've chosen to pay a groomer to give fortnightly malaseb baths rather than do it myself in the bath. I do loads of doggy washing each week (bought a portable clothes line for that) and try and recycle and repair where possible. I make coats, toys and squishy beds but there are times when I have bought new harnesses, leashes, tags, towels, blankets and second hand stuffed toys and metal bowls. Just because they are a foster dogs doesn't mean I want them to have all hand me downs! I love them all and think they deserve to be colour coordinated and look their best in public! And anything specific I have for that dog (inc any toys they might love) I send with the dog when it is adopted. I like to think that assists the dog in some way. I've also loaned items to adopters until they can afford to buy their own, again because it assists the dog to have familiarity while it is settling into its new home. Oh and if you foster dogs you also have to accept they will damage some of your furniture or ruin your carpet, blinds, curtains, chew some door frames and scratch screen doors!

If you added up every single cost outlayed by rescuers and foster carers for the period of time a dog was in care you would be shocked. If we adopted out the dogs in the same condition they came in as then people would not consider rescue dogs an option and would probably question if we were even animal lovers. I never understand though how people never question how much pet shops charge for cute puppies and you get none of the above. In fact they hope you will spend even more money in their shop buying new leashes and collars and bowls and beds! Rescue is just happy to know you and the dog are a good match! And yes we love to hear from you afterwards and see pictures! I feel blessed to have 2 adoptive families stay in regular contact with me.

Edited by Little Gifts

I dont come into rescue very often anymore but after reading the op I just wanted to say you have done such an awsome thing for this person.

Over the years my husband and I have done a lot of private rescue, mostly poodles and a few small fluffies here and there.

I have adopted out dogs to a few people that had very bad experiences with shelters and other rescue groups.

One couple had a male pom and was looking for another small dog as a companion but every dog they liked was male, they went to multiple shelters and rescues and were turned down by every one of them because they were told not to keep two males together. They ended up adopting a little 'male' toy poodle x from us and the boys became best buddies and have a great life. I still groom them regularly.

Another lady was turned down due to her age, she adopted a little toy poodle from us that I was worried would never find a suitable home, he has extreem fear of unfamiliar people especially men. He is now one of the most spoilt dogs I've met, she is home 24/7 with him, he gets multiple walks each day, if she needs to go out to any family functions he comes and stays with me, she brushes him everyday and kkeps him in beautiful condition, I pick him up every 5 weeks to be groomed (she baths him inbetween). She turns 90 in July. She has actually asked me if she can put in her will that if anything happens to her he will stay with me for the remainder of his life.

My best mate went to the local shelter to adopt a cat, he owns a (plant) nursery and lives on the property so there is someone there 24/7, he also has a little dog. He was turned down because of where he lives even though the cat would have had the best home. In the end he bought a kitten somewhere else and it is very spoilt and gets heaps of attention, is also best mates with the dog.

When I was working at the vet clinic I heard numerous other stories as well and many people gave up on rescue/breeders due to the way they were treated.

Guest muttrus

I dont come into rescue very often anymore but after reading the op I just wanted to say you have done such an awsome thing for this person.

Over the years my husband and I have done a lot of private rescue, mostly poodles and a few small fluffies here and there.

I have adopted out dogs to a few people that had very bad experiences with shelters and other rescue groups.

One couple had a male pom and was looking for another small dog as a companion but every dog they liked was male, they went to multiple shelters and rescues and were turned down by every one of them because they were told not to keep two males together. They ended up adopting a little 'male' toy poodle x from us and the boys became best buddies and have a great life. I still groom them regularly.

Another lady was turned down due to her age, she adopted a little toy poodle from us that I was worried would never find a suitable home, he has extreem fear of unfamiliar people especially men. He is now one of the most spoilt dogs I've met, she is home 24/7 with him, he gets multiple walks each day, if she needs to go out to any family functions he comes and stays with me, she brushes him everyday and kkeps him in beautiful condition, I pick him up every 5 weeks to be groomed (she baths him inbetween). She turns 90 in July. She has actually asked me if she can put in her will that if anything happens to her he will stay with me for the remainder of his life.

My best mate went to the local shelter to adopt a cat, he owns a (plant) nursery and lives on the property so there is someone there 24/7, he also has a little dog. He was turned down because of where he lives even though the cat would have had the best home. In the end he bought a kitten somewhere else and it is very spoilt and gets heaps of attention, is also best mates with the dog.

When I was working at the vet clinic I heard numerous other stories as well and many people gave up on rescue/breeders due to the way they were treated.

thankyou and sadly yes Im hearing it more than than when I started I wonder if maybe we could do a servey to see what people have the most concerns or gripes about?

I just think that some people in rescue can take the whole rehoming thing way too seriously, and it upsets people (prospective adopters) to be made to feel inadequate by rescuers who may be a tad overzealous in their approach to finding the "best" home for dogs in their care.

Just like people, all dogs are different, and require different things to have a great old life. A one size fits all approach is like cutting your nose off to spite your face IMHO.

I'm also of the opinion that there are way too many "dog" (or "cat") people in rescue, and very few "people" people - and lets face it, you need to balance BOTH when you are doing what we do...

T.

Some of our best puppy owners are rejected rescue lookers & the reasons given where just laughable & makes you wonder whether some rescues with the rehome or not.

Some of the forms require alot of info so the people sit there & do them & then get no feed back back.

We also groom alot of dogs from pet shops owned by people who wanted to rescue but gave up again because there weren't good enough,didn't earn enough money worked to many hrs (but work from home :confused: )

Didn't have another dog yadda yadda all this info was placed on the forms & rejected ,not one ever bothered to meet & greet people .

One couple who are wonderful owners both work from home ,the dogs have a big property to enjoy get walked every day ,best vet care ,part of the family where rejected because yep they both work .

BUt the laughable part was there income wasn't enough so with this rescue if you work your not good enough,if you don't earn money your not good enough & you can't even go in and see the dogs unless you pass the form test .

We are seeing a big increase of people who would prefer to rescue buying pet shop puppies because they where feed up with the run around or never hearing back or just been made to feel like useless owners without a human meeting them .

Yes some dogs require special homes but surely not everyone .some of these dogs get shoved from carer to carer or sit in kennels for months waiting for the right home when surely a bit more human aspect & a little less form judgement would go along way

I also groom a huge number of dogs from pet stores for the same reason. I know I will get shot down for this and it is hard to admit because I know better but my youngest boy is a pet shop puppy.

If I wanted another poodle I would have gone to a breeder because I have owned them for so many years and have enough knowledge and confidence to approach them.

But we wanted a little x breed that was suitable with the kids and I honestly just couldn't face being rejected so when my son and I saw Muttley we fell in love straight away, his priced had been reduced dramatically because he'd been there so long and we both felt very sorry for him.

What about all the people who do have a rescue dog and had no problems with adopting.

Love these threads where everyone joins in saying rescue are harsh and unreasonable with no people skills and wouldn't give them what they wanted.

phew, I was getting depressed until I saw your post powerlegs! Rehoming a rescue dog is more about making a good match otherwise the dog may bounce back. We work hard getting our rescue dogs ready for adopted so I'm definitely going to try to choose the right home whatever that takes. However, I would never give someone the impression they weren't suitable and I always return calls and emails the same day or the next day at the latest.

In fact tonight I had to tell two people their home wasn't right for my fosterdog but it was done tactfully and respectfully. I got a lovely email back from one of the people wishing me and my foster dog the best of luck.

Some rescue people ARE harsh and unreasonable Powerlegs... but not all... *grin*

You've rescued and rehomed a huge number of dogs over the years - and I'll bet that every single one of them had different needs, and you rehomed them based upon those needs, rather than a one size fits all approach to ALL prospective adopters via an application form. I'd also be willing to bet that you have also given feedback to every single application for one of your foster dogs...

There are both ends of the spectrum happening in rescue (and pretty much everything in between as well) - there are those who make adoption extremely hard for the average Joe, and there are those who have a revolving door policy in order to "save" as many dogs as they can - neither of those extremes is optimal.

I have met some people in rescue who really need to brush up on their people skills, and others (like yourself Powerlegs) who set the standard for great rescue, with awesome people skills as well as obvious "dog" skills. The latter group is what we should all aspire to in this game IMHO.

Funnily enough, I feel lucky to have met you early in my rescue "life" Powerlegs - you are actually a role model that I aspire to be like as I continue my own rescue "journey".

T.

Because I personaly don't understand why, if a dog is allowed inside with its family when the family is home why it has to sleep outside. Dogs are pack animals and unless that dog actually wants to seperate itself from its pack and sleep outside I want it sleeping inside with its pack. My breed is a sensative people orientated one, most of the problem dogs we get have been the outside ones. I understand and appreciate there are good owners who have well balanced dogs who sleep outside, that's cool, that's up to them but not with dogs I adopt out. It's a constantly taboo subject on DOL but I'll never change our rescues policy on it and I won't knowingly adopt a dog to be an outside dog or an outside sleeper unless that is something that the dog feels most comfortable with...haven't had one of those yet. I'm not nieve, I know people lie or choose to change the way the dog sleeps - these things happen but I won't 'knowingly' send a dog to live or sleep outside.

We have an awesome retention rate so I'll keep plugging away with what works for us and our dogs. We use a form as a base and then match individual dogs to individual homes that suit them best. We go out of our way to make new families get the best experience with their new dog and enjoy the process as much as possible.

In reality everyone does something different, and it's not for anyone else to judge - whatever works best for them and the dogs in their care. Communication is the one thing that seems to need improvement across the board and that's probably the same in any 'industry'.

Our adoption fees have recently gone up from $300 to $350.00. We don't charge above that no matter how much the dog cost us in vet work, behaviourists, boarding, other expenses etc etc. To me, I think if you start charging big adoption fees you're just forcing people onto classified sites and BYB's where they can get cheaper dogs.

Edited by sas

My bringing up the fee's is that I noticed a rescue group on pet rescue who constantly have small breed (designer breed) puppies and they are very expensive,I don't understand how you could possible continue to have these types of breeds without something strange going on ?

I do understand that yes there are vet fees etc but I think that SAS has a good fee base $350 is a good price and yes if the dogs are older maybe a little less as Muttrus has said.

I think that pet shops charge stupid prices but that still doesn't stop some people buying on a wim and not considering that a pet is for life. ( Maybe some people have to much money) I wish..

I have always wondered about this rescue I mentioned above but who do you ask ??

Edited by melcatlady