Have You Heard This Before ?

persephone

A friend is thinking of adding a dog .... and of course I suggested she check a good rescue who does foster care & gives support ..so the puppy stage will be a non event , and she can see what she is getting :)

"No.. those dogs are trained too much for me ...."

Yes, her dogs have always been a bit lacking in direction.... But I had to giggle - who would not consider a dog with some training ? :)

How bizarre!

When I was working in a shelter we had people come in who thought that Lab puppies were born trained, that's why they were used as guide dogs.:doh:

Sadly, that is a regularly held belief. Dogs pop out knowing how to sit, stand, walk on a leash, etc etc.

Persephone, did your friend understand what you meant by a rescue dog? Maybe she thought you were referring to show dogs? Seems a very odd reaction to me.

Persephone, did your friend understand what you meant by a rescue dog? Maybe she thought you were referring to show dogs? Seems a very odd reaction to me.

yes .. she understands .. we have discussed it before ... but this time she actually said why she doesn't want to .

I guess she likes her dogs to be brought up 'free' , or new age, or something :o

A friend is thinking of adding a dog .... and of course I suggested she check a good rescue who does foster care & gives support ..so the puppy stage will be a non event , and she can see what she is getting :)

Yes, because it's usually the well trained dogs that are surrendered or stray etc :laugh:

<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">

Yes, because it's usually the well trained dogs that are surrendered or stray etc :laugh:

*nods* ..people get bored, perhaps ? :p

Maybe she just used incorrect word for situation, her word "trained" may have meant for her a dog that has some past with another owner and just exposed to various situations, whereas she may want a dog that is 'uninfluenced' and therefore she can mould it to her way of doing things, be they formal training or just the whole 'dog led' approach :laugh: (This is the new age parenting style for children).

I must say I had a foster dog some years back which had some terrible 'habits' which were very hard to eradicate and obviously due to lack of control by former owner, whereas my own dogs are 'guided' into respectful obedience through positive reinforcement and I know exactly how they will react in any given situation. So I definately believe that the handler/home situation will certainly be a primary influence on a developing dogs personality and behaviour.

Not sure if this is what she was referring to but I personally like to teach the dog the little things myself :)

I would prefer a puppy to come to me knowing nothing as I get joy out of teaching it to sit etc. Tailwag couldn't understand my reservations when she insisted on teaching our last litter to sit, stay, drop etc while they were still with us. All the puppy owners were very appreciative of it and commented to others on how much the pups already knew when they got them and how much easier it made them to train and raise, but I think if it was me I would have been a little disappointed that I missed out on doing it myself...

she has just asked If I would help her train her current dogs on lead ..and to tie up for short periods .........

Oh Dear :)

Oh Dear

indeed ! She needs training, Persepone :(

:) Gotta laugh .. I know her dogs are happy as... ..just total ratbags .

My Cougar is. :thumbsup:

That's why I wanted an older rescue, I didn't want to go through the puppy training again.

[

That's why I wanted an older rescue, I didn't want to go through the puppy training again.

Me, too, mantis. All our most recent dogs have been older retired showgirls. When people remark on how sensible, sociable and good they are, I say, 'They came like that!'

But even when it comes to getting a puppy, I've just put someone on to a registered breeder who has his tibbie puppies already confident around people and a home environment.... & toilet-trained. Tho' a new owner would have to lead the pup thro' the routine in their new home. Nothing like an early training start in life IMO. :)

Edited by mita