Dog Food

grommit

Hi there - i am curious to know what other people are feeding their dogs. I am thinking about making my own dog food and was after any feedback or advice. Have you found it cost affective and does anyone have any tried and tested recipes that they would like to share???

Hi...

AFAIK, most on here who prepare their dog's food themselves feed raw ..and preparation involves pulping veg, mixing ingredients etc .. have a read HERE:

The majority of young and healthy dogs do not need cooked food , and there are enough dry foods available that provide good nutrition without turning over your kitchen to the dog chef ;)

What is your dog currently eating, and what sort of things were/are you planning on making?

here are couple more threads which might be helpful to you :)

LINK

LINK

I struggle enough to make my own food - it's more because I don't like cleaning the kitchen/like to have a clean kitchen so avoid making mess, let alone make my dog's food! Sometimes I'll mix up some sardines & eggs for him though :) that's easy because it can all be thrown in and mixed outside.

I struggle enough to make my own food - it's more because I don't like cleaning the kitchen/like to have a clean kitchen so avoid making mess, let alone make my dog's food! Sometimes I'll mix up some sardines & eggs for him though :) that's easy because it can all be thrown in and mixed outside.

I struggle to make my own food, but can always make my dogs food. My kids get angry with me, because they say I feed my dog better than myself. :laugh:

Both my boys get "human foods". basically what OH and I eat - they eat. for example if we have steak, they have steak, if we have chicken, they have chicken. The only difference is no salt. We eat healthy with minimum oil use (mainly conola spray). We also eat vegetables most days and the boys get lost of those. They are lovely and healthy :) Some people freak out when we tell them - but it works for us :) They also get their own homemade treats using pumpkin, kraft salt and sugar free peanut butter and whole meal flour etc. very healthy and they love it :) :D

I've never fed my past dogs a full on raw and natural diet, but am now with my new puppy as per her breeder's guidance. Its not something i enjoy preparing being that im a vegetarian, but whatever it takes to make her grow strong and healthy I will do ! Least there are vegetables and some fruits involved :)

I'm bulk preparing the majority of it and freezing it into rations :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

When I got my first rescue Westie I fed him dog food cos I didn't know any better. I was absolutely revolted by it and decided to do some research and that's when I found DOL for the first time. After considering a million points of view I went with raw feeding and we haven't looked back. I feed a human grade raw mix made by the best doggie shop in Adelaide - Adelaide Dog (on Payneham Road for any interested Adelaideans). I bulk it up with fresh or black and gold mixed veggies. Chicken necks for a morning snack.I also feed like Karrine - anything I eat if there's enough they get some too - and I keep cans of human mackerel and sardines (home brand) in the cupboard for emergencies when I forget to thaw their meat. Occasionally they get some grain free dry food - but it's more for occasional variety than anything else

So basically it's human grade raw for my guys. If you shop smartly I find its as cheap if not cheaper than dog food. Looks and smells more appetising and the other great thing is the poo volumes plummet! (Important when you have three dogs). smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

my guys vary

Happy, Misty, Rusty and Gypsy eat home prepared raw at home, and a grain free bison kibble for meals that they eat when at work with me

Gem eats Orijen mixed with Raw at home, and plain Orijen for meals at work.

Baby dog was raised on raw, but now has no many allergies that I don't feel comfortable feeding raw due to the very limited things she can eat. fish is the ONLY meat source she can eat in any form(raw, cooked, kibbled etc.. and not just the protein either, chicken fat is just as bad as chicken) she cant tolerate any grains whatsoever, and she can only tolerate a few veggies...this severely limits my options for feeding her raw and her getting everything she needs from it. to further limit her kibble options, she is deathly allergic to shellfish, and many of the supplements added to kibbles are derived from shellfish. ya, she eats a specific kibble mixed with the canned version of it lol

There are heaps of legitimate and healthy ways to feed dogs. :)

I personally feed a very simple raw diet that involves minimal preparation. Mostly lamb necks, lamb hearts, cow hearts, offcuts, bones, lamb flaps, chicken quarters, chicken liver, chicken frames...whatever is cheap and fresh! Tinned sardines or mackeral with a raw egg once a week. And whatever left over steamed veggies we have for dinner. I don't grind or puree anything and buy food once a week. I've found it to be super easy. :)

It has been cost effective and I have had three different vets tell me to keep on doing what we're doing- all were very impressed with her condition and commented on the health of her mouth and coat.

I predominantly feed raw but I'm lucky because we have a local business that makes it up - Adelaide Dog are a godsend :) I buy all my raw food from them: non weight bearing bones, fish oil, joint powder, ground meat/bone/offal/fish/veg mix.

All i've got to do is separate the 1kg containers into daily meals and freeze them - the bones are already individually wrapped and bagged up in like-sized lots.

Totally spoiled here in Adelaide :)

I personally feed a very simple raw diet that involves minimal preparation. Mostly lamb necks, lamb hearts, cow hearts, offcuts, bones, lamb flaps, chicken quarters, chicken liver, chicken frames...whatever is cheap and fresh! Tinned sardines or mackeral with a raw egg once a week. And whatever left over steamed veggies we have for dinner. I don't grind or puree anything and buy food once a week. I've found it to be super easy. :)

It has been cost effective and I have had three different vets tell me to keep on doing what we're doing- all were very impressed with her condition and commented on the health of her mouth and coat.

Last time I was at the vet she wouldn't stop going on about how lovely and healthy my Aussies coat was. We feed same as you pretty much. I do think their coats look better with a raw diet but every dog is different I guess.

Last time I was at the vet she wouldn't stop going on about how lovely and healthy my Aussies coat was. We feed same as you pretty much. I do think their coats look better with a raw diet but every dog is different I guess.

I'm really happy with my girl's coat...it is slick and shiny and odourless...and I was majorly chuffed when one of the vets told the vet science student who was sitting in on our consult that my dog had the healthiest mouth that she had ever seen.

I am a bit bonkers about oral health so that just about made my year. :laugh:

I'm glad your Aussie is doing well...it is so satisfying to find a diet that suits them well isn't it?

I'm really happy with my girl's coat...it is slick and shiny and odourless...and I was majorly chuffed when one of the vets told the vet science student who was sitting in on our consult that my dog had the healthiest mouth that she had ever seen.

I am a bit bonkers about oral health so that just about made my year. :laugh:

I'm glad your Aussie is doing well...it is so satisfying to find a diet that suits them well isn't it?

Yeah, we noticed once we started feeding them that type of diet they are just thriving, it's great!:)

I feed my boy barf patties made by bigdog petfoods I buy them from City Farmers here in Mandurah. They cost $23 for a twelve pack and that is a combination of various meats. He also eats grain free kibble with a good meaty bone and chicken wings. Raw of course.

They have human-grade raw for dinner, with plenty of raw bones for calcium and dental health. Chicken wings, drumsticks, carcases, turkey, lamb & beef offcuts.

I have previous bad experiences with “pet grade” raw food. The only stuff I will use now is fit for human consumption.

On veterinary advice, they have a good quality dry kibble for breakfast. This provides additional vitamins, trace elements, etc.

I would be interested to know what dry foods people use, which you have found provide the best blend of vitamins and trace elements, etc?

My two border collies get 1/2 a large turkey neck for breakfast & for dinner they get Black Hawk kibble. They love it & are doing well on it. Have been feeding them this for two years now. :) They also get either some steak, a raw egg yolk or tinned or fresh fish.

Should also mention that when previously feeding pet-grade raw food and/or speciality pet food, had a never-ending problem with flatulence.

No problems at all on the current diet.