Clipper Rash On Scrotum

LOL Ness , what a sneak!

Showdog - oh my dog that is disgusting :cry: I don't see how anyone can be so damn careless esp around the sensitive areas :(

My vet said this is basically like hotspots and knowing how awful my girl felt with hers...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes me laugh if a client takes a dog to vet due to clipper rash from a groomer they jump up n down saying there careless.

When the vet nurses go clipper crazy with a #40/50 blade & cause a serious issue it has to be done.

There is no excuse for clipping those areas with surgical blades.

Our dog had surgery & was shaved with a #40 & about 50% of his body& the clipper rash was so severe that when he had the runs whilst still in there care he burnt his scrotum & anus area & not once did they put anything on it.

He suffered more due to the insane clipping than he did from the surgery & given clipper rash can often turn into bad hot spots it isn't something they should be so trivial over

After a month of intense treatment & special care he started to heel but the suffering was not something i would wish on anyone

^^^ I was going to post the same thing!

This is easily prevented by looking after the blades and changing them before they get too warm. It's only around $10 each to have clipper blades sharpened and around $45 for #40 or #50 blades (cheaper for vets/groomers). I have around 45 sets of blades in different sizes for grooming - no reason a vet can't have a good supply of surgical blades to prevent injury too. The bloke who did my blades for the first 8 or so years used to tell me that the vets blades were always worse than what the groomers blades were and with the amount of dogs who get clipper burns while being prepared for surgery really back up some of the things he told me.

The 3 times my girls have had em c sections they have had nasty clipper burn, I have also seen a lot of dogs come in for grooming who have also had nasty clipper burns from being shaved for surgeries.

There is no excuse for our pets being treated like this - we pay big money for their surgeries and should expect them to be properly cared for at all times. Accidents happen but clipper burn this bad is no accident - it's careless.

eta: clipper burn this bad is not done from warm blades - for burns this bad the blades would have been friggen hot...I always test the warmth of the blades by touching them and putting the blades on my arm, if it's getting warm change blades..

Edited by Andisa

It makes me laugh if a client takes a dog to vet due to clipper rash from a groomer they jump up n down saying there careless.

When the vet nurses go clipper crazy with a #40/50 blade & cause a serious issue it has to be done.

There is no excuse for clipping those areas with surgical blades.

Our dog had surgery & was shaved with a #40 & about 50% of his body& the clipper rash was so severe that when he had the runs whilst still in there care he burnt his scrotum & anus area & not once did they put anything on it.

He suffered more due to the insane clipping than he did from the surgery & given clipper rash can often turn into bad hot spots it isn't something they should be so trivial over

After a month of intense treatment & special care he started to heel but the suffering was not something i would wish on anyone

^^^ I was going to post the same thing!

This is easily prevented by looking after the blades and changing them before they get too warm. It's only around $10 each to have clipper blades sharpened and around $45 for #40 or #50 blades (cheaper for vets/groomers). I have around 45 sets of blades in different sizes for grooming - no reason a vet can't have a good supply of surgical blades to prevent injury too. The bloke who did my blades for the first 8 or so years used to tell me that the vets blades were always worse than what the groomers blades were and with the amount of dogs who get clipper burns while being prepared for surgery really back up some of the things he told me.

The 3 times my girls have had em c sections they have had nasty clipper burn, I have also seen a lot of dogs come in for grooming who have also had nasty clipper burns from being shaved for surgeries.

There is no excuse for our pets being treated like this - we pay big money for their surgeries and should expect them to be properly cared for at all times. Accidents happen but clipper burn this bad is no accident - it's careless.

eta: clipper burn this bad is not done from warm blades - for burns this bad the blades would have been friggen hot...I always test the warmth of the blades by touching them and putting the blades on my arm, if it's getting warm change blades..

I am a groomer the problem is #50/40 blades are designed for a purpose & clipping excessive amounts of coat of so close is not smart & lets face often they go backwards on some areas which makes it worse .

Hot blades wont always cause this issue its the blade number itself & the areas being clipped & the amount clipped of ,it irritates the skin

A sparse coated dog clipped with a #10 blade can be bad enough.

Hygiene is important i get that but they need to also start assessing the after effects of using such blades ,even when it regrows it can cause the dogs issues as its so itchy & prickly all these add on to the after care & ease of recovering .

Edited by showdog

I am not a groomer.

To me it looks like they clippered him and thought it was a knot and kept going !

That doesn't look like a rash, that looks like someone dug and dug into him,

I always use a 40 blade for all my dogs feet, even puppies & sometimes on the face depending on the particular dogs texture of hair.

They have never, ever, been burnt, got a rash or injury.

The way to use them is to put hardly any pressure on at all when using, the blade does the work with barely any. Also to constantly check the heat of the blade.

It less damaging or uncomfortable for the dog than using a 10 & having to use more pressure

Obviously the blade has been used incorrectly.

In this particular situation of the poor dogs burns I don't think putting anything on them is going to help & may hurt. What about only using pain killers.

Glad to hear he is getting better. Having shaved many testicles on show poodles with a 40 blade with never a burnt scrotum in sight I think either the equipment or the technique of the person on the end of that pair of clippers is questionable. As Christina stated a light hand is needed. This is a delicate area. I think a little more concern on the part of the practice in question is warranted. If a groomer did this then the RSPCA would be called :mad :mad :mad

Thank you all so much. I have been taking daily photos and when we go down for the 6 week check up I am really going to complain.

He must be feeling better today, he is wagging his tail when I talk to him but even better when I take him out to toilet, he is picking up one of his balls( should I use toy instead of balls :laugh: ).

The skin is continuing to fall off. I am still keeping him really quiet and of course he is still contained. I'm not putting anything on it. I haven't even used the Cortavance spray. He goes in on Monday for the staples to be removed so they can check on him too. But overall and this is a long winded way to say, I'm confident he is feeling much better :thumbsup:

post-36665-0-24753700-1362562755_thumb.jpg

And just because my Cooper does have a face :rofl: