Leaving Dogs In Cars

LizT

But usually in the country so I leave it running with the aircon on... No dog complaints yet! But reasonably low-risk areas for car thieves. I have in the past taken a spare key and left it running but locked with the dogs in it. I don't even like having mine in the car while I fill it without the aircon going.

According to the NSW Road Users Handbook(p134) when parked:

If you are more than three metres away from your vehicle you must:

• Remove the key out of the ignition.

• Lock all doors and windows if there is no one in the vehicle.

My dog's comfort comes first. And there's no offence for leaving a vehicle unsecured (although insurance companies might not like it - again, tough luck. Dogs are more important). But there is for leaving a dog to suffer in a hot car...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to have a little dog who loved the car, especially in winter. She enjoyed the warmth. She'd hear the keys rattle and get all excited. I took her everywhere. She loved it, the car was her favourite place. Of course I left her home if it was too warm. Never had a dog who got distressed in a parked car. They simply curl up and go to sleep until we return. I don't see a problem with it as long as the temp is mild.

I wouldn't and couldn't do it because mine gets distressed just being outside on a hot day :D We bring the dog along for grocery shopping though. I'll walk him while others run into the shops or vice versa. He loves riding on a car if it's a short trip and enjoys walking in an exciting, crowded place.

Of course there are situations whereby it's understandable to do so, and at the end of the day, what matters is if the dogs are fine and happy. Once I saw a little maltese in a sedan with maybe 2 inches of window pulled down. It's jumped to the very back of the car so I thought it was tissue box at first but then it started moving... That image stuck with me for a bit.

Edited by littlesev

I don't believe that it is spelt out in any NSW Legislation, however if you leave a dog in a hot car and it becomes stressed, you could be charged with cruelty under POCTA.

I think this is it in a nutshell.

There are no specific laws or time-limits, but the laws regarding cruelty & neglect apply.

Personally, depending on the location and severity, I would get hold of the local rangers or police.

The alternative is to get a hose and squirt cold water into the car…

I only take the dog in the cooler times of the year in the car [unless unforeseen circumstances come into play and he needs to be in the car - but it has an aircon and he doesn't get left in it] . It's even too hot for me most of the time in summer, so wouldn't expect a dog to endure it.

The only time I kept Scout in the car for an extended period was when I went to a funeral [thankfully it was in winter]. When he was younger he had extreme SA to the point where he'd destroy things if left alone [trying to chew through doors], yet his SA seemed to abate if he was in the car [he'd just curl up and go to sleep]. I had him out mingling with friends/family, then he just stayed in the car for the actual service - which was about half an hour.

But he does love his car rides, nice to have a quiet car dog...can't mention the 'dwive' word in front of him as he goes bonkers with excitement. Nor can you mention the words 'vet' or 'shops' as that also means going for a drive lol.

But for dogs being left in a car in the sun on a hot day, that's not on. Council, RSPCA or the police if the dog was visibly distressed. I'd also keep my distance from the car as that can work up dogs even more if they're in protecto mode of the car.

I have sometimes left my dog in the car on a cool/cold day in the shade with the windows partly down while I get petrol or go into the local shops for a quick purchase. However the last time I did this (last winter, was well under 10 degrees, cloudy day, car under a tree, windows down 10cm) I came out of the supermarket to find two people having an intense discussion about how best to smash my car window. My dog was watching them very intently - no panting and cool as a cucumber. I said nothing to the people but was roundly and loudly abused as I got in the car and drove off. No doubt they had my dog's interests at heart (though he didn't need their help) and have also seen some dogs in actual danger in cars, but I would have been pretty pissed off if they had needlessly damaged my car and showered broken glass onto my dog. So I have not left my dog in the car at the shops since then - only at the servo where I can keep sight of the car. I totally approve of smashing a car to bits to get out a hot, stressed dog, but some people over-react when there is no actual risk.

I will often leave dogs in the car on a training night or when trialling. Obviously not when its hot but they will spend a lot of time in the car except for when they are out training. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong leaving them in the car when its not warm. I will also let them come in the car to the shops. Especially if its only a quick 5 min trip to pick something up as it then saves messing with the gate at both ends of the journey. When my youngster had surgery last year (it was middle of winter at the time), I would pack her in the car and we would drive to the shops or a park or something and she would stay in the car for a change of scenery.

My two love the car.

I only take the dog in the cooler times of the year in the car [unless unforeseen circumstances come into play and he needs to be in the car - but it has an aircon and he doesn't get left in it] . It's even too hot for me most of the time in summer, so wouldn't expect a dog to endure it.

The only time I kept Scout in the car for an extended period was when I went to a funeral [thankfully it was in winter]. When he was younger he had extreme SA to the point where he'd destroy things if left alone [trying to chew through doors], yet his SA seemed to abate if he was in the car [he'd just curl up and go to sleep]. I had him out mingling with friends/family, then he just stayed in the car for the actual service - which was about half an hour.

But he does love his car rides, nice to have a quiet car dog...can't mention the 'dwive' word in front of him as he goes bonkers with excitement. Nor can you mention the words 'vet' or 'shops' as that also means going for a drive lol.

But for dogs being left in a car in the sun on a hot day, that's not on. Council, RSPCA or the police if the dog was visibly distressed. I'd also keep my distance from the car as that can work up dogs even more if they're in protecto mode of the car.

Yes, that is a very good point...if you feel the need to intervene due to it being a hot day you want to be pretty sure you are capable of handling the animal you liberate! I think the suggestion to take pictures or videos is a good one incase you are in trouble for damages to someones car. It certainly WOULD BE BEST to call for assistance but that could be a crucial delay. :(

I have sometimes left my dog in the car on a cool/cold day in the shade with the windows partly down while I get petrol or go into the local shops for a quick purchase. However the last time I did this (last winter, was well under 10 degrees, cloudy day, car under a tree, windows down 10cm) I came out of the supermarket to find two people having an intense discussion about how best to smash my car window. My dog was watching them very intently - no panting and cool as a cucumber. I said nothing to the people but was roundly and loudly abused as I got in the car and drove off. No doubt they had my dog's interests at heart (though he didn't need their help) and have also seen some dogs in actual danger in cars, but I would have been pretty pissed off if they had needlessly damaged my car and showered broken glass onto my dog. So I have not left my dog in the car at the shops since then - only at the servo where I can keep sight of the car. I totally approve of smashing a car to bits to get out a hot, stressed dog, but some people over-react when there is no actual risk.

See, this is a perfect example....a sunny winters day, cool out but the car is nice and warm, probably quite comfortable but some have deemed it potentially too hot behind glass. :(

And what of dogs left on the back of utes in FULL SUN on hot days! Whilst this is no where near as hot as in a car, it's still not on in my opinion. Yet I would say in most instances there would be little you could do to help as a dog on the back of a ute seems to have a very HIGH PROTECTION focus for his vehicle!

That is disgusting, I would have gone off my head. Nutcases.

But usually in the country so I leave it running with the aircon on... No dog complaints yet! But reasonably low-risk areas for car thieves. I have in the past taken a spare key and left it running but locked with the dogs in it. I don't even like having mine in the car while I fill it without the aircon going.

• Remove the key out of the ignition.

• Lock all doors and windows if there is no one in the vehicle.

My dog's comfort comes first. And there's no offence for leaving a vehicle unsecured (although insurance companies might not like it - again, tough luck. Dogs are more important). But there is for leaving a dog to suffer in a hot car...

It has nothing to do with security of personal property, but the danger of the car being able to be moved.

A friend left her dogs in her vehicle while she dropped into the library..... only gone for a few minutes. Dogs usually remain in the rear of the vehicle, but occasionally hop into the driver's seat while they wait for her return. On this occasion, when she came out of the library, the car had rolled forward about 5 metres & was in a different parking space with the bonnet up against a tree :eek:

The car was a manual & we can only assume the handbrake was not on & the dogs knocked the gear stick out of gear. Fortunately this was in a country town & the car park was virtually empty.

Then there are the occasions when people have left their dogs in their cars while they pay for petrol - they haven't taken the keys with them & hey presto, when they come back to their car, Fido has locked them out!

Mind you, people with dogs are not the only ones who do this. A far worse practice is leaving kids in cars while the parent dashes into the shop. For some reason the Fyshwick markets in Canberra seems to be a popular place to do this - I often see children left in cars to amuse themselves - frequently they are playing with the controls :eek:

Most weeks my two boys are left in the car as OH and I go into our local fruit shop - that said - if it's too hot, they stay home, windows are opened just enough so they cant jump out, they are in the backseat and buckled in. We always keep one eye on them, park in the shade and only in there for 5 minutes. Usually we are coming back from walking them or about to walk them :)

I used to take my dogs on random short outings because they loved a car ride. But I once got out of my car to open the garage door (closing the car door behind me) and the dogs locked me out - engine running, headlights on, pizza on the floor, no windows open. By the time the RACQ guy got it open for me the pizza was gone and someone had peed on the front passenger seat. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way!

I take my girl out with me, she rides in the crate on the back of the ute.

I don't do it when it's crazy hot, but when it's mild I'll leave her if I need to go and get something.

She has to get used to travelling and being confined for racing anyway.

If I'm going to be out of site I padlock or zip tie all the doors, just in case any people come along who are foolish and try to 'free' her

There are to many variables to this situation.

I think just plain common sense is the best way to go.

On a cold winters day in Tasmania my lot still need their rugs on and the heater going, it can be minus down there. To an over 40 deg, day in Qld. and they are usually in the air con at home while I suffer at the shops in the heat. lol.

Also don't forget some people get upset when they see dogs in cars on go off on a tangent when the dog will be quite happy till the owner returns. This does not apply when it's far to hot have a dog/dogs left in cars and I travel to a lot of dog shows in 40 deg heat and mine manage quite ok in a Qld summer. Sure it gets hot but most of have air con in the vehicles. We also have plenty of fans and generators to run them while we are showing. (I must admit that my dogs get more upset about being cold than hot).

There are to many variables to this situation.

I think just plain common sense is the best way to go.

On a cold winters day in Tasmania my lot still need their rugs on and the heater going, it can be minus down there. To an over 40 deg, day in Qld. and they are usually in the air con at home while I suffer at the shops in the heat. lol.

Also don't forget some people get upset when they see dogs in cars on go off on a tangent when the dog will be quite happy till the owner returns. This does not apply when it's far to hot have a dog/dogs left in cars and I travel to a lot of dog shows in 40 deg heat and mine manage quite ok in a Qld summer. Sure it gets hot but most of have air con in the vehicles. We also have plenty of fans and generators to run them while we are showing. (I must admit that my dogs get more upset about being cold than hot).

spot on, which is why it's just ridiculous when some people say cannot be done under ANY circumstance. Use your brain people.

Do we really need to have this discussion twice in a month :)

Remove the key out of the ignition.

Lock all doors and windows if there is no one in the vehicle.

Might want to check on the no fine bit

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/drivers-face-fines-for-unlocked-cars-20100517-v7db.html

In NSW it can be a breach of rules

Rule 213 (2) Not restrain vehicle properly

Rule 213 (3) Leave engine on

Rule 213 (4) Not remove ignition key (vehicle unattended)

Rule 213 (5) Not secure windows/lock doors (vehicle unattended)

Penalty of 2 demerit points and $99.00 fine per each offence.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/downloads/0712_demerits_general.pdf

Edited by yarracully

My dogs often come with me in the car. If it is hot and I have to take them say for a short vet visit I ask to leave them there for an hour or two. If it is mild they stay int eh car, passed out asleep on the seat. Many years ago my dog locked me out of the car, I always leave the window down enough to reach in or take the keys and lock it.