Leaving Dogs In Cars

LizT

This is not to start a debate about the stupidity of leaving a dog in a car on a hot day...we all know it's a VERY bad idea.

However recently a friend of mine saw a situation where a dog had been left in a car on a hot day and the owner had gone into the shops, she had left the window down a fair bit but not enough for the dog to get out. 15 minutes later someone else started to get concerned about the dog in the car and another passerbyer (who happened to be an off duty pregnant policewoman) and her decided the dog was stressed and forced the windows down...when the owner returned she was ropable, really going off at them for forcing down her windows and touching her dog. The peoplewho got her dog out had deemed the dog stressed and got it out of the car. I do not know if this was the case or not, the dog may just have been panting heavily to regulate it's body temperature and the owner was back after about 20 minutes.

I cannot judge I wasn't there, all I know is I probably would never be in this situation as I don't take my dogs out shopping with me or running errands. They are happier at home, (well maybe they are happier coming with me and I am happier they are at home! )

What I really want to know is:

IS IT ILLEGAL TO HAVE A DOG IN A CAR ON A HOT DAY IF THE WINDOWS ARE CRACKED OPEN AND IF SO, WHAT IS THE CUT OFF LENGTH OF TIME AND TEMPERATURE?

It seems to me there are too many "shades of grey" fo this to "BE A LAW" :confused:

I know it is illegal to have a child (under 12) in a car unattended, but I don't think the same laws apply to dogs.

Anyone?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least once a week we get a dog left in the car in our car park at work. Usually someone will let us know and we get on the PA and request the owner to return to their car as their dogs in distress. Even on a mild day here its bloody hot in a car and I would never leave any of mine in the car alone.

I don't believe that it is spelt out in any NSW Legislation, however if you leave a dog in a hot car and it becomes stressed, you could be charged with cruelty under POCTA.

I'm yet to see anyone charged for smashing a window and attending to a distressed animal and my message for dog owners would be, if you don;t want a window smashed or broken, then don't leave a dog in a car full stop.

If the dogs is visibly distressed then no, it's not ok. But (at least in NSW) there are no laws against it or time restrictions etc.

I would think anyone that is prepared to step in and possibly damage a vehicle to assist an animal needs to have a witness at the very least, and someone with a video on a phone or similar would be even better. If it saves you from a lawsuit, take a second or to to photograph and/or film the situation.

I leave mine in the car sometimes if I run into the shops on the way home from a show etc. But usually in the country so I leave it running with the aircon on... No dog complaints yet! But reasonably low-risk areas for car thieves. I have in the past taken a spare key and left it running but locked with the dogs in it. I don't even like having mine in the car while I fill it without the aircon going. But mine's a diesel and uses hardly any fuel to idle.

I think it depends on the circumstances. I travel long distance and I have briefly left a dog in a car parked in deep shade while I walked across the road to buy a coffee. I also sat in the car and drank the coffee, as I had done previously on many occasions when travelling without the dog, so I know what happened to the temperature in the car.

It would have been more dangerous to the dog to keep driving and risk falling asleep at the wheel.

I think it depends too. I take my dog to work so sometimes on the way home at night I will run into the shops. But I only ever leave her in the car if its cool. It was 12 degrees here the other day and I left her in the car for a few minutes. I don't see that as a risk IMO.

Guest donatella

I don't think its ever okay. Drop the dog at home and then head back out to the shops. Yes its a pain but its not about your convenience when it comes to dogs in cars.

It p*sses me off when I see dogs unattended in cars.

Donatella some people live long distances, even hours driving away from shops. That doesn't mean they should never take their dogs out with them. It all comes down to common sense really, which is pretty much uncommon these days...

Guest donatella

Yeah I understand there are circumstances that don't fit the bill but unfortunately not every dog left in a car isn't someone on a stop off on a long journey :(

I don't think its ever okay. Drop the dog at home and then head back out to the shops. Yes its a pain but its not about your convenience when it comes to dogs in cars.

I will drop my dogs home to then go back out to the shops if its hot but when it's cold and you are only going in for a couple of minutes I genuinely cannot see what the problem is?

What about when you are driving and need to stop for petrol? You can't go back home and then back to the servo. I totally agree dogs should never be left in hot cars but never left in the car EVER? I don't understand the logic.

On a hot day? Never. Dogs fry even with windows cracked.

In winter? Personally I don't see the problem unless your dog cracks your packet of Clinkers, tries them all and spits your favourite pink ones all over the driver's seat. :mad:

Try driving for hours, stopping to go the loo and leaving your dogs anywhere else.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

But usually in the country so I leave it running with the aircon on... No dog complaints yet! But reasonably low-risk areas for car thieves. I have in the past taken a spare key and left it running but locked with the dogs in it. I don't even like having mine in the car while I fill it without the aircon going.

According to the NSW Road Users Handbook(p134) when parked:

If you are more than three metres away from your vehicle you must:

• Remove the key out of the ignition.

• Lock all doors and windows if there is no one in the vehicle.

Guest donatella

I will drop my dogs home to then go back out to the shops if its hot but when it's cold and you are only going in for a couple of minutes I genuinely cannot see what the problem is?

What about when you are driving and need to stop for petrol? You can't go back home and then back to the servo. I totally agree dogs should never be left in hot cars but never left in the car EVER? I don't understand the logic.

You are dog savvy. Unfortunately the dog owning population is not dog savvy and don't understand logic.

I've seen 2 large Bernese crammed in the back of a small vehicle on a hot day, i've seen anxious smalls yapping not understanding where their owners have gone even for 5 mins.

I often go shopping and leave my dogs in the car, but I'm careful about the weather and where I park. I always park in the shade, leave the windows down a few inches and now leave the sun roof open a bit as well. I've never come back to distressed dogs.

I wouldn't be taking dogs out in this weather though, way too hot.

Not more laws, please. For the last 20 years whatever dogs I've had have always travelled with me. 300k round trip to Mildura for main shopping, 300k round trip to Swan Hill (Vet there). Leave them home alone - risk of snakes, fire and any other issues. I do not go anywhere if it's hot, shop at night time at 24hour supermarket. The dogs are quite happy in their crates while I'm shopping etc, been known to have a hot water bottle when it's very cold. They get excercise and a roast chicken (well, some of it) when we are ready to head home. No way I'd leave them home :mad

You are dog savvy. Unfortunately the dog owning population is not dog savvy and don't understand logic.

I've seen 2 large Bernese crammed in the back of a small vehicle on a hot day, i've seen anxious smalls yapping not understanding where their owners have gone even for 5 mins.

I've seen things liked that too, but it doesn't make me feel that leaving a dog in a car is always wrong and should never be done. People that aren't dog savvy do a lot of things I don't agree with but that doesn't change my actions when I know I am responsible.

Guest donatella

I personally don't like it but that's okay because I'm allowed to have my opinions :D

I am sure there are a billion exceptions to the rule and that's the choice people make with their own pets.

Agreed Huski.

I've left my dogs in the car plenty of times, what on earth am I meant to do with them if I am heading for a comp a few hours away and need to fill the car up/go to the toilet/unpack/pack? Not just my convenience either but for their protection as well.

Of course I always try and park in the shade and leave windows down and like someone else has posted if need be have left the car running while I do whatever I need to......I've never ever returned to the car and the dogs are stressed in any way.