Behavior Changing At Night

andrewang

Hey guys,

Is it normal for an 11 week old puppy to have a behavior change at night? It happens just before he goes to bed at around 11pm.

Caesar is a sweet loving puppy in the day. Everybody loves Caesar in the day. His schedule goes like this:

10am Breakfast. After breakfast he walks around the house playing with his toys or go for a short walk around the neighborhood and napping.

3pm Lunch. Same routine except no walks around. Maybe visit a friend's place.

6pm We go for another walk and put him in his play pen while cook and have dinner with my partner.

9pm Dinner and water taken away from him. He has free run all over the house under constant supervision.

11pm Devil within awakens. Caesar starts mouthing, biting pants. "NO!!" will be met with barks or defiance.

12am Goes to bed.

Repeat cycle.

Is this normal behavior in puppies?

Just a couple of photos for your enjoyment!

post-45448-0-52846900-1364735502_thumb.jpg

post-45448-0-93735000-1364735518_thumb.jpg

My 11 week old puppy routine was more like...

6:30am out for potty

7:30am short walk maybe 10 - 15 minutes (5 minutes per month of age)

8:00am breakfast (kibble soaked in water until it's swollen up)

after breakfast - another potty break.

probably a lot of sleeping, boss toe chewing, playing with chew toys

10am - potty break (if we haven't had one recently)

12noon - potty break

12:30pm lunch (more kibble soaked in water)

post lunch potty break

more sleeping...

potty breaks every 2 hours or more often if needed

6:30pm dinner

6:45pm another potty break and maybe another short walk

8:45pm potty break

10:30pm potty break then bed time for dogs (and their owners) dog has lead attached to far side of owner's bed and under owner so dog cannot nick off and potty somewhere undesirable.

1am potty break (no fun, no talking, just potty)

3:30am potty break (as above)

6:30am - repeat...

I gradually spread the night time potty breaks further apart, but if the puppy got up, we were outside immediately. Especially if she got a bit desperate and started swatting me on the head with her paw. She slept next to my bed. She spent some time in a crate if I had to go out during the day.

So I was aiming for 2 hourly potty breaks, after waking, after eating, before and after play, or any time her nose went near the floor (especially if it was behind furniture).

I don't remember any behaviour changes specifically but I do get "devil dog" similar to what you describe when she needs a potty break. Even now she's 4.5 years old. Does not pay to ignore or scold this. Just take your puppy outside (or wherever you toilet him). QUICK.

You may want to consult with your puppy's breeder to find out what the routine was before you got the puppy. Good breeders will have something that resembles house training and maybe crate training and some good manners training before you get to take the puppy home, so knowing what this is may help.

And my brother's kids are a real nightmare if they get over tired. I think 12am is a very late bed time, and puppy might be over tired. And 10:30am is a bit late for getting up too.

What a gorgeous puppy!

We had a similar experience with Marlo. As a puppy at around 10-10:30 every night he would have a sudden burst of energy, and was a terror for about half an hour. Barking, mouthing etc. I can happily say he grew out of it fairly quickly. He is now 9 months old and at about 9pm every night he decides he has had enough of us and puts himself to bed!

My dogs and foster pups tend to do the crazy thing at around 9pm - and they sync with daylight savings too - every night without fail... I swear they can read the clock!

I let them do their crazy thing - it only lasts about 30 mins - then they are nice and tuckered out for bedtime later on.

T.

My puppy would get over tired and VERY VERY VERY naughty. One night I got sick of it and picked her up for a cuddle and gently didnt take no for an answer. 30seconds later she was asleep!

I agree with RidgieMal- try and wind down for the night.

You say you take dinner away- do you leave food out all day? I found my pup would crash after a meal and toilet session so perhaps use that to your advantage and fed at 9 and she was off to the land of nod at 9:30. You could also try doing some mini trick training sessions at 9 rather than free time because puppies find using their brain to earn food exhausting work!

Love the photos :thumbsup:

Miah is almost 19 weeks now, shes calmed down heaps compared to those early weeks of late nights and very early morning puppy craziness lol

She gets her breaky between 6am and 7am, lunch 12-1.30pm and tea between 5 and 6pm.. shes gets plenty of toilet breaks during the day (and a couple during the night),, is napping less during the day, but will go to bed earlier when we do now. (around 10pm) She gets up very early with the other 2 cavs to go to toilet, have breaky, run around for a little while, but I can now go back to bed for another couple hours, and she will often come back with the other 2 cavs for some quiet time before we all get up properly :).

Caeser is looking gorgeous :)

Is it possible your partner is unintentionally stirring up puppy? I have a dog that goes completely insane at night time and its due to the fact my husband egards that as his playtime

Edited by raz

I meant have dinner then take his water away. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank god this "happy hour" phase is normal and just a last burst of fire for tired puppies. Hahaha

Had dogs my whole life but never realized this behavior. Probably because I was still young and my parents dealt with it. Cheers to my parents.

Anyway the reason why Caesar sleeps late is because I sleep late. Gotta let him get use to my schedule. Don't want him waking up too early and be bored and destructive.

Thanks for all your replies.

Billie used to get crazy legs at night before we put her to bed. Always had to poo afterward so I made sure to send her outside while she was carrying on.

Now she just puts herself to bed quite early in the evening. My little one is all grown up now!

Unless there is some medical reason and I don't really know any (others might) you never take your dog's water away.

My dogs sleep as long as I do. For instance, I slept until 11.30am this morning as I had an insomniac experience :( and didn't get to sleep until after 4am.

Not a peep out of the dogs ---- 5 of them. :thumbsup:

Unless there is some medical reason and I don't really know any (others might) you never take your dog's water away.

My dogs sleep as long as I do. For instance, I slept until 11.30am this morning as I had an insomniac experience :( and didn't get to sleep until after 4am.

Sounds like he wants to minimise the chances of having to get up and take his dog out for a wee in the middle of the night, but I'd never take the water away from my guys. If they need water, they need water! If they need to pee, they need to pee. Welcome to the life of dog ownership :shrug:

Sounds ike an overtired puppy that needs 'you' to put it to bed in its crate. Puppies don't always know when they need to go to sleep, they need us to help them with that sometimes.

Sounds like he wants to minimise the chances of having to get up and take his dog out for a wee in the middle of the night, but I'd never take the water away from my guys. If they need water, they need water! If they need to pee, they need to pee. Welcome to the life of dog ownership :shrug:

Yes, I understand that, minimax. But as you say: if a dog needs to drink, it needs to drink and water should be always available. How long does puppyhood in terms of having to take a dog out, last. Too bad - a puppy's needs have to be met.

Yes, I understand that, minimax. But as you say: if a dog needs to drink, it needs to drink and water should be always available. How long does puppyhood in terms of having to take a dog out, last. Too bad - a puppy's needs have to be met.

Yeh that's my point.

I remember in the beginning with Miah saying to my husband lets not let her have her water at night (in her pen). But it was more laziness on my behalf as i din't want to keep getting up so often (i need my sleep lol) Hubby said no werve not going do that, she needs it available to her at all times, and he's right. Now shes getting older, shes not going as often. Like DD said puppyhood is such a short time in terms of having to take them out that often .

Even before an op, they will tell you not to let your dog drink too much overnight, but they can still have very small amounts.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Yeh that's my point.

I was agreeing with you.