Choking..........scary

Kirislin

I just shared out the remainder of the little roast I'd had for tea with the 8 dogs here. Because we've got 3 extra dogs staying I think Puck, worrying about extra competition, gulped the meat down too quickly and he started to choke. He tried a few times to sick it up without success.

I took his collar off and felt his throat, I could feel the lump and I tried to massage it back up. It came up and he seemed to chew and swallow but he kept choking.

He's such a sweet trusting dog, I know he understood I was trying to help him. I sat on the floor and he came over to me looking very miserable.

After about the forth time of him partially bringing it up, chewing, swallowing but continuing to choke, he let me stick my fingers down his throat and grab hold of the offending peice of meat. It was on a long sinew with a lump at either end, so part was further down his throat.

I got it all up, separated it and of course he was fine then and wanting me to give it back to him, which I did. :laugh: Bloody dog just took 10 years off my life. I'm lucky though that he didn't resist me when I was trying to help him or it could have been impossible and I might have had to wait until he passed out! I've heard of things like that happening but I'd hate to go through it.

It's one of my worst fears, I'm glad Puck"s ok Kirislin, very scary!

Mosley got a piece of bone stuck up in the roof of his mouth once, I had to stick my whole hand in his mouth and yank it out, he was so good, bless him. I think Lili would have chomped down, the bitch :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

Thank god it all ended well. Credit to you that you have a trusting relationship with your boy, such that he sought your help.

A few months ago I had to put my hand down my dog's throat to get a paddle pop stick he'd picked up and swallowed. I just got the tip of it as it slid down out of sight. Heart stopping moment.

Oh that makes my blood run cold. Thank god Puck is alright, Kirislin.

On Easter Monday last year, I had to rush Myrtie to emergency as she had food (a piece of roo jerky) stuck in her throat. Luckily they were able to draw it out with forceps without doing any damage, but it was a damned scarey experience.

So scarey, glad he is ok! I know what you mean about them knowing you are trying to help them. Mine are the same. Sometimes the get burs stuck between their toes and come running over with that particular paw up. Lacy once got a piece of bark stuck across the roof of her mouth, it was so stuck, I had to use all my force to get it out and she was fine with it. They just seem to know!

Yep I have to get a piece of bone stuck across the roof of the mouth out of my old sbt girl. She was scratching at her mouth and her jaws kept involuntarily closing trying to dislodge it (she was very scared) so I'm lucky I didn't get accidently chomped on trying to get it out. Very scary for you though Kirislin having to do it several times.