Health Help Please - Puppy Ate Putty

Katdogs

My 5mo Lab boy has licked out fresh-ish putty from around newly placed glass window panes in an old wooden door (and chewed part of the wooden door of course). Any thoughts on whether we should try to make him spew or poo? OH is trying to get on to a vet right now and I'm on my way home.

All I could find on a dog poisons site was this:

DO NOT induce vomiting for the following

Battery acid, Bleach, Drain cleaner, Fertilizer, Furniture polish, Glue, Household Cleaners, Kerosene, Laundry detergent, Motor oil, Nail polish, Paint thinner, Paint brush cleaner, Paste (glue), Pine-oil cleaners,

Plaster, Putty, Toilet bowl cleaners, Turpentine

All I could find on a dog poisons site was this:

DO NOT induce vomiting for the following

Battery acid, Bleach, Drain cleaner, Fertilizer, Furniture polish, Glue, Household Cleaners, Kerosene, Laundry detergent, Motor oil, Nail polish, Paint thinner, Paint brush cleaner, Paste (glue), Pine-oil cleaners,

Plaster, Putty, Toilet bowl cleaners, Turpentine

Some of those items would cause further damage coming up again, however I should not think putty would be do that. It is only made of linseed oil and calcium carbonate. I had my dogs to the vet last week after they got into a bag of blood and bone fertilizer and they were made to purge. When you read the bag contents its not something you would like to leave in their systems. Putty I would not be concerned about unless it has turpentine in it, but certainly ask the vet.

Edited by Florise

My OH has worked he must have eaten it much earlier today and has since been for a long walk quite happily. The vet said it's too late to do much except keep an eye on him and watch his poo.

OH is in the doghouse, not silly Sammy. I said you can't leave him unsupervised :(

My OH has worked he must have eaten it much earlier today and has since been for a long walk quite happily. The vet said it's too late to do much except keep an eye on him and watch his poo.

OH is in the doghouse, not silly Sammy. I said you can't leave him unsupervised :(

I think OH is suitably freaked Katdogs - I just spoke to him and he's trying to be very brave and hold it together... puppy of course seems completely unaware that he's eaten anything he shouldn't.

Remember that Labs tend to have guts of steel and can pass all sorts of things that would upset a lesser dog... *grin*

Don't panic!

T.

All good. OH and puppy are fine, except for the metaphorical bootprint up their bums.

Sammy seems to have chewed (scraped out with his teeth, rather than licked) over 100g of putty and a fair whack of splinters. Wood seems to be his favourite food so he should be ok. He's probably done more damage with the old lead paint he chewed the other day :rollseyes:

OH is in charge of poo patrol tomorrow :)

I hope your Sammy is ok.

Just as T said, labradors have stomachs of steel! My Sam had x-rays as a pup because he swallowed my sisters keys.. luckily they passed but you should of seen the other things they found in there!!

Best of luck to you and Sammy

My 5mo Lab boy has licked out fresh-ish putty from around newly placed glass window panes in an old wooden door (and chewed part of the wooden door of course). Any thoughts on whether we should try to make him spew or poo? OH is trying to get on to a vet right now and I'm on my way home.

Do you know what sort of putty it was? I'd assume it was glazing putty. if it was it is generally made up of Linseed oil and chalk and in moderation neither will be toxic to ingest. I would think you would have more worry with the wood splinters but it would go soggy in his tummy so should pass ok.

Two of mine had wood fetishes, when they were pups and I went to work they stayed inside and over time practically devoured the dowel between the bottoms of my chairs. After the puppy stage we had to buy a new dining setting. :laugh:

Its amazing what their tummies can withstand.

Poo patrol tomorrow might be interesting! :laugh: But seriously hope he is ok!

He's snoring happily (Sammy, not OH).

Robertsons Putty, linseed oil based, actually it smells quite nice and edible!

Puppup has eaten so much wood lately these little bits shouldn't matter. He's taken over some of Stevie's old hardwood off cuts, that she chewed smooth 7 years ago. Good timber is worth the investment...

Labs laugh.gif

One of mine ate glad wrap as a puppy, and the other has a fabric fetish even as an adult (towels, blankets, etc). She chews them up and SWALLOWS. Needless to say they don't get left out with her anymore (though it's been a while since she's done anything of the sort). Lucky she either vomited or pooed them out! Stupid dogs laugh.gif

I think OH is suitably freaked Katdogs - I just spoke to him and he's trying to be very brave and hold it together... puppy of course seems completely unaware that he's eaten anything he shouldn't.

Remember that Labs tend to have guts of steel and can pass all sorts of things that would upset a lesser dog... *grin*

Don't panic!

T.

My friend's lab eats things that would make other dogs very sick and she doesn't even notice. just keep an eye on him but labs have amazing stomachs I know one that pooped out two sponges and a super ball once.

Edited by mixeduppup

Sammy is fine, cheeky little sod. There have been poos of an unusual colour but no problems with his energy or appetite :thumbsup:

OH has a sore back from spending twice as long as necessary working on this door :(

my dear departed Divine Miss Sophie was a great eater.. anything and everything. she once ate an entier box of those disposable gloves.. we counted 33 gloves over the next few days.. pulled several out eeeewwwwwww!

there is something really weird when your dog backs up to you and she has a glove with fingers poking out of her bum....

H

I had to pull the poo-shaped piece of glad wrap out of my then 9 week old pup's bottom at 3 in the morning laugh.gif It just kept coming and coming and the way she tucked her bum under and took off as I pulled it out, mustn't have been the most pleasant feeling in the world rofl1.gif