Chain Collars

GSDowner

Correction collars are only to be used on the dog when in training and a leash is attached. They are extremely dangerous in the dog park for getting caught on other dogs teeth or for the dog to hang itself at home unattended.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've described a check chain. Be thankful your dog hasn't hung itself yet. Check chains should only be used when training. I won't even let my dogs play with a dog wearing a check chain, I have worked with a trainer who had to witness 2 dogs that were playing, one had a check chain on. Other dog in play got it's head in to the check chain (so 2 dogs in one chain!), dogs started to stress and fight. Both dogs ended up dying due to stragulation as no one could get them apart.

I don't leave collars on my dogs when they're not supervised. But I would consider an alternative collar if you want your dog wearing one. And like someone else said, train a good recall, or something else I have had to do is actually just walk up to my dogs, block them and then usher them back to the house.

But please don't leave a check chain on your dog!!

This !!!! :thumbsup:

I too have heard of a very similar thing happening re check chains & 2 dogs getting tangled up, panicking & both died. One dog got his teeth somehow caught

in the others dogs check chain, pulling it tighter & tighter, a fight erupted between the 2 dogs in total stress of the situation & within minutes, both dogs

were pronounced dead as the owner of the dogs couldn't get them apart in time :cry:

No collars on my dogs at home EVER. Not worth the risk IMHO. When we are out, naturally they are both collared & leaded.

I know someone who left a check chain on their dog and the ring had slipped through the crack between the boards on their deck and swivelled sideways and the dog must have panicked and pulled, he was found dead on the deck when they got home :( No collars on my two unsupervised ever.

Is the collar a check chain, or just a chain collar?

Check chain

It's like the first picture (check chain?)

It's not the best thing to leave on an unsupervised dog... I'd look up the ones that release when heavy pressure is applied if you have to leave a collar on your dog when you aren't there...

T.

Check chains are potential killers when used in the wrong manner by inexperienced people. Even a check chain being used for training can kill if it is put on the wrong way (one way allows self-release, the other simply makes the chain get tighter with pressure).

A check chain should NEVER be left on a dog which is unattended. Far better to get a leather collar or even a strong webbing collar with quick release hardware.

GSD owner ..check chains/correction collars/chokers are to be used when TRAINING /WALKING ..they are not intended for use every day ..as they can and do kill dogs.

please buy your dog a safe collar , train him to recall so you do not need to grab him ....or carry a leash with you to clip on the collar :) it is really easy, and much preferable to a dead/injured dog .

If you do want to leave a collar on ..google 'Breakaway' collars .

I am grateful for so many replies.

The examples given of dogs losing their lives really scared me.

I learned a lot today.

:) I hope what you have learned will make your dog's life safer now.

be the best dog owner you can be :) Love is great ... finding out why dogs do what they do , and educating your dog(using suitable equipment which you have researched) is TERRIFIC .... :thumbsup:

Despite my repeated nagging, my ex used to leave a check chain on his bullmastiff. Til his housemate asked us one night what was wrong with the dog-she had not gone to greet him as she normally did. To our horror, when we looked, we found that the ring had slipped between palings on the deck and turned sideways, fixing her neck to the decking. Who knows how long she'd been stuck in that position. On a 35 degree day, unable to get to her water. Poor angel. I cant help but cringe when i see check chains left on now. We were so lucky she was ok.

NEVER EVER leave a check chain on a dog. Countless dogs have been caught in fences/shrubs/door levers and painfully strangled.

Use a web breakaway collar if you need to have a collar on the dog at all times.

Dogs are safer without collars of any sort when at home. They can still strangle with an ordinary collar - although it is less likely. And impossible with a decent breakaway collar

As others have said you should never ever ever leave a check chain on a dog unless you are training it at the time. Your very lucky that the dog has not caught it on something and ended up hung, which so easily happens.

I personally do not have anything on my dogs at home, and use training to get them to stop doing things they shouldn't, as unattended ANY collar could be dangerous, let alone a check, or metal collar.

I have used check chains with some success with some of my dogs, but some of the 'quieter' ones would absolutely tremble if I even attempted using them during training. It's all about having the right tool in the right situation, but also, remembering the mantra check release check release check release. I see many people in the general public using check chains as 'chokers' and not releasing the chain and simply dragging the dog about with it tight, one of my biggest pet peeves. They should probably only be used by people who have experience training dogs, or who are willling to go and learn, but I'm pretty sure most are sold with a warning label not to leave on the dog long term, and it's apparent that some people can't even do that.

I know someone who left a check chain on their dog and the ring had slipped through the crack between the boards on their deck and swivelled sideways and the dog must have panicked and pulled, he was found dead on the deck when they got home :( No collars on my two unsupervised ever.

I know someone that happened to as well, with their Doberman. He didn't die though, but was very, very scared, and his owner had to get a saw to cut through the decking to get him out.

My dog is another that only wears a collar when we're walking, I take it off when we're training too (for agility and working trials), as you can't trial in a collar. I will put her collar on if we have guests or builders around during the day, just in case she gets out somehow.

Erik got his tick collar caught on a lever of a chair a few weeks ago. I put them on loose so the dogs can easily slip them, but the angle of the lever pulled him too close to the chair for him to back out of it. Don't ask me how he did it as we didn't even know there was a lever, but there you go. Luckily we were right there and able to free him.

I'm one of those people who always leave a collar on my dog when I go out - not chain. Reason being that I worry more about him getting out than the collar getting caught and without the collar I don't know if I would get him back. He is well contained but the unforeseen can happen. High fences and locked gates - except one day one of the gates was left unlocked, "someone" came in that gate and let the dog out. Luckily he didn't stray from the front yard but it did give me a scare.

I'm the same, Rosetta. I am really paranoid about the dogs getting out, since one of them is very stupid (she will go to anyone, for any reason. She once tried to go home with some people at the dog beach even though she'd never seen them before), and one of the others had a short bout of escape-artist-ism about a week after I picked him up from the pound (he used to belong to a friend of mine, friend moved away and eventually Harley ended up at the pound through no fault of his own or my friend, and I went to pick him up, to look after him until we could find him a forever home, which was 5 years ago now :p) During that time he chewed through the fence 4 times in about 2 weeks, and if he hadn't been wearing a collar with a nametag I don't know if I would have gotten him back.

That said, my dogs all wear flat leather collars which are on very loosely, so they are very easy for them to slip off, which they do on a regular basis. The collars only get tightened when we're going out and about. There's nothing really in our yard for them to get caught on, but if they do, they all know they can back out of the collar, I've seen them do it while playing with each other.