Chain Collars

GSDowner

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true, but there's nothing really in our yard that could cause that to happen, only the other dogs. All the tree branches are either too high up to reach, or very small shrub-type branches not strong enough for them to get stuck on. Although, now that I've said that, I think I may have to rethink my strategy. Harley lost his collar yesterday afternoon at some point and I cannot for the life of me find where it is. I've scoured the yard three times, and it's just vanished.

We have embroided collars (name and number) on our dogs so nothing dangly on them. Ours have their collars on at all times, but they are crated when nobody is home so not much chance of any injuries. They are very rarely in the yard unsupervised for more than a few minutes, just enough time to go to the toilet. When my dogs used to be left in the yard they were usually naked though.

This is true, but there's nothing really in our yard that could cause that to happen, only the other dogs. All the tree branches are either too high up to reach, or very small shrub-type branches not strong enough for them to get stuck on. Although, now that I've said that, I think I may have to rethink my strategy. Harley lost his collar yesterday afternoon at some point and I cannot for the life of me find where it is. I've scoured the yard three times, and it's just vanished.

I read of cases with two dogs, where one gets its bottom jaw stuck in the second dogs collar and twists. causing serious injury to the first dogs jaw and often cutting off the second dogs air supply and killing it frown.gif

Reggie is Naked at home.

Edited by GeorgieB

That happened to a doler and 2 of her white swiss sheps, she got them in time and managed to get one breathing again, the story is in this forum somewhere, along with other doler stories of similar happenings.

yup, check chains are very dangerous to leave on all the time. I always keep regular collars on my dogs in my home, but that I risk I am willing to take, I have have more problems when my dogs did NOT wear collars, including an almost strangulation(Happy got her neck caught in the tarp that covered the firewood) as well as escapes..mostly because my brother doesn't pay attention, my dogs once followed him 8 blocks to the grocery store and back without him noticing till he was halfway home..how do you not notice 6 dogs following you? after that my mom insisted that all the dogs wear collars and tags at all times lol

however at the daycare/kennel I work at, we do not allow regular collars at all, every dog that walks through the door is fitted with a break-a-way collar for the safety reasons everyone else already mentioned.

What amazes me is that many people who own horses and dogs would never DREAM of leaving a halter on an unattended horse in a paddock, yet they're happy to leave a check chain on an unattended dog. :shrug:

Im another who has had problems with check chains. One being a GSD years ago before I knew better, he was on the veranda and it dangled down between the boards and he got stuck there. Thankfully I found him and he was ok. Second problem, I was a at a dog show with my two pups, whislt also handling for someone else. After my pups had been in it was a rush to get them i their crate so I can handle another dog. Chucked them both in th crate together with chains still on. In the ring with the other dog and all hell broke loose, with dogs screaming and so forth. Sure enough they had been playing and one had the chain wrapped around her lower jaw and was stuck. I couldnt get them apart as they were panicking and pulling which pulled the chain tighter. Thankfully they came apart at some point. Have never left dogs with chains on ever again, not even for a quick minute at a show.

My dogs are naked here at home as well. Never have I left a check chain or equivalent on a dog that's unattended. Just asking for issues. Even puppies with little collars....I know of one that got hung up on the pen it was in and twisted and hung itself.

I do understand why having a collar on a dog that may escape is needed, but my answer is either ensure the yard is more than safe, or crate the dog. (I prefer the latter)

My german shepherd has a metal chain collar (loose) - we found it convenient for various reasons,much more than a leather collar: for example in an offleash park to temporarily restrain him or when on leash.

Lately I noticed that his paw got stuck in it.

Last year he lost his chain and we found it in the garden hanging on a low branch -

I hate to think that my dog could have been stuck there.

I would be grateful for your opinions on chain collars.

I'm guessing the chain is a check chain - a chain with a larger ring on either end? If so, consider yourself VERY lucky the chain came off your dog. These collars are only supposed to be used when training your dog and you'll find many DOLers won't even use them for training (as they can be considered harsh). Please reconsider the leather collar and if you feel you need to (with the help of an experienced trainer) only use the chain when training.

They should only be used for training, never left on a dog when unsupervised. My Kenny's mother died from hanging herself on a fence, trying to escape. :cry:

I told my ex so many times not to leave the collar on her when he wasn't home, but he didn't listen & the poor dog died in agony & alone, I will never forgive him for that. :mad

Edited to add, if your dog is microchipped, then there is no reason for it to wear a collar, except when training or taken for a walk.

Edited by mantis

My german shepherd has a metal chain collar (loose) - we found it convenient for various reasons,much more than a leather collar: for example in an offleash park to temporarily restrain him or when on leash.

Lately I noticed that his paw got stuck in it.

Last year he lost his chain and we found it in the garden hanging on a low branch -

I hate to think that my dog could have been stuck there.

I would be grateful for your opinions on chain collars.

I'm guessing the chain is a check chain - a chain with a larger ring on either end? If so, consider yourself VERY lucky the chain came off your dog. These collars are only supposed to be used when training your dog and you'll find many DOLers won't even use them for training (as they can be considered harsh). Please reconsider the leather collar and if you feel you need to (with the help of an experienced trainer) only use the chain when training.

They should only be used for training, never left on a dog when unsupervised. My Kenny's mother died from hanging herself on a fence, trying to escape. :cry:

I told my ex so many times not to leave the collar on her when he wasn't home, but he didn't listen & the poor dog died in agony & alone, I will never forgive him for that. :mad

Edited to add, if your dog is microchipped, then there is no reason for it to wear a collar, except when training or taken for a walk.

Yeah have to disagree on that one Mantis. Last time Stan was scanned his microchip had travelled down to his hip. I had a very experienced vet nurse trying her hardest to find it but it was just the last sweep that found it. That was two years ago, no idea where it is now.

ETA my two never have collars on unsupervised but just saying you can not rely on microchips alone.

Edited by stans mum