A Dog Killed

GSDowner

I just heard a heartbreaking story on 3AW about an 18 yo dog being walked past a gate

with a dog behind it. The fence had gaps and the little dog (a poodle) was grabbed

by the dog behind the fence. The little dog's face was ripped off and it had to be euthanised. So upsetting.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad for the little dog and family, however, I have to ask why on earth someone was walking their dog that close to a fence that had a dog behind it? I would be mightly p-ed off if someone walked their dog that close to my fence.

Fences are supposed to keep dogs confined. :(

Poor old dog, there's a good chance it was blind and deaf at that age, so vulnerable. What an awful way to end its life.

Very sad for the little dog and family, however, I have to ask why on earth someone was walking their dog that close to a fence that had a dog behind it? I would be mightly p-ed off if someone walked their dog that close to my fence.

As if you would even ask that....like its somehow the poodle owners fault.

If a fence does not contain a dog properly then the home owner is at fault.

Sometimes fences are right up next to footpaths :confused: - sometimes you have no choice when walking your dog along a footpath to be right up next to someone's fence.

Yep, there are some near us where you literally have to walk right up near the fence.

Not to mention that there shouldn't have been gaps in the fence with an aggressive dog behind it anyway, this is not the fault of the owner of the dead dog.

Because people and dogs are allowed to walk along a fence and be safe from vicious mongrels like the killer dog. They might not have even known the dog was there until it launched itself. I've been surprised more then once while out lawfully walking with and with out a dog.

As if you would even ask that....like its somehow the poodle owners fault.

If a fence does not contain a dog properly then the home owner is at fault.

And the owner possibly did not have x-ray vision. How many times have you walked along a footpath and had the crap scared out of you when a dog behind the fence suddenly goes off its nut at you?

My fence has a 2cm gap so I've put a barrier up against it. Just a week or so ago a grandparent was encouraging a child to put their face and hand by the gap to have a look at Lucy while she was going off (the barrier is a few cm's from the gate so they didn't know it was there).

Edited by megan_

Where I live I would have to walk on the road to not walk next to the fences. The fences are right up against the foorpath and even if I walk on the nature strip it's not that far from the fence.

The fence should be containing the dog. This is why I don't like dogs in front yards, bad enough with the fence running (but whatever if you think that behaviour is ok for your dog), but they certainly should not be able to reach through the fence - that's a public safety issue. I just wouldn't want to be liable for what could happen, there are many people who don't have common sense out there!

Ok lets all backtrack a little bit before jumping down my throat...

They way I heard it, and the way I read this post is that the person was walking the dog and allowed the dog to approach the gaps in the fence. Not once have I heard anything about the fenced in dog leaving its property- only that the little dog was poking its head through the holes in the fence and therefore encroaching on that dogs property. There are plenty of people who will allow their dogs to "say hello to the nice doggy on the other side of the fence". Not saying that was the case here but when I lived on a main road people were constantly bringing their dogs right up to my fence (deviating a good 4-5m from path to do so).

If I have incorrect information or have misinterpreted in any way I am sorry, but that is how I have understood the situation.

Poor little dog - what a way to end its days :( Chances are the owner was elderly also and not able to react quickly if the little dog veered towards the fence - so sad.

My dog is rarely in the front yard and never without me there - I am surprised at the number of people who bring their dog - and kids - up to the fence to say "hello". I don't allow it.

Edited by Rosetta

My dog is rarely in the front yard and never without me there - I am surprised at the number of people who bring their dog - and kids - up to the fence to say "hello". I don't allow it.

This was my yard quite a few years ago when I lived in Sydney. The gate was covered in aviary mesh so nothing could pass through, however, if it didn't I have no doubt a small dog could put a head through. The neighbours had a low hedge running almost to the road. It was amazing the number of people that would still walk down my driveway with their dog or kids to say hello to the dogs. I only had Delta and Charlie at the time and occassionally some friendly fosters, so it never caused a problem, but sometimes people can be completely clueless unfortunately. I absolutely hated people coming up to them and needless to say I found a new place to rent when my lease ended.

1000315apg8.jpg

I have read your second and third posts. Sorry DC, a post like this is just so out of line and so lacking in compassion that it makes me feel quite ill.

I have read your second and third posts. Sorry DC, a post like this is just so out of line and so lacking in compassion that it makes me feel quite ill.

Agreed. You make it sound like it's the fault of the deceased little poodle. Apparently, when the owner of the little poodle was screaming and asking for help from neighbours, the owner of the offending dog came out, and coldly told the poor women to stop screaming and went inside, without even commenting on what his dog had done. That's compassion for you.

I am not actually lacking in compassion, the whole thought of this poor dog ending its life in this way makes me feel sick, and my heart goes out to everyone affected by this tragedy. How horrible it must have been to witness the event and the poor little dog must have been petrified. I obviously should have led with that before asking the question. I first heard about it through a post on FB and my first thoughts were for the poor dog and its family.

I also do not believe that any dog with the potential to do harm in this manner should ever be kept in a yard that close to where someone may be walking, especially if there are gaps in the fence. I would never tolerate any of my dogs doing that to another dog regardless of the circumstances and they would no longer be here if they ever tried it.

A good friend of mine had a beautifully tempered dog that was attacked once by a dog that was permitted to put its head through a fence into her yard. The other dog was onlead and being walked by an adult male. Her dog was fully contained and went over to say hello to the dog that had stuck its head through the bars. Multiple surgeries and minus an eye later, she survived, but has never been the same again. Does the situation change if it is in the reverse? If the aggressive dog is the one permitted to approach the fence? Do people feel differently then?

The point is, nobody should ever allow their dogs to stick their heads into another's yard. Unfortunately, this family has learnt that lesson the most tragic way possible, but perhaps it will serve as a warning to the next person who thinks it is a good idea. Not all dogs are friendly, not all dogs appreciate strangers encroaching on their space, and many dogs are territorial when it comes to their property.

Agreed. You make it sound like it's the fault of the deceased little poodle. Apparently, when the owner of the little poodle was screaming and asking for help from neighbours, the owner of the offending dog came out, and coldly told the poor women to stop screaming and went inside, without even commenting on what his dog had done. That's compassion for you.

People like that (the house owner) should not be permitted to own dogs IMO That is absolutely disgusting :cry:

Guest donatella

Another small taken too soon by a viscous dog that should have been kept close in control :cry: :cry: