Could You Possibly Swap Your Dog For...

Kajirin

Ok, so I generally take Scout down to the shops and we wait outside whilst others I'm with are in shopping. Scout loves the social interaction, gets lots of pats and the like and is in his element. He's well trained and sedate with kids and the elderly [so they generally crowd around him for a pat and to ask questions]. But what I find weird is what people ask to swap him for, as they see him as a well behaved, sedate dog [lol although he's quite lively and goes into nutso mode at home :laugh:].

So today when he was being petted by 5 small kids, they were sitting on the ground in front of him getting him to shake paw and the like - one of them asks "Can I swap you my budgie for your dog? He's so good and I really like him". Told the kid that I was sorry as I already have a budgie :rofl:

Another time I had a woman come up to me and and as she was patting Scout she casually said "Can I swap you your dog for my two naughty Pugs?". I just said errr no sorry.

Anyone else get weird swap requests for your dogs when out and about??!!

Edited by Noishe

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would assume anyone asking to swap like that is just kidding.

So would I.

Last year I saw an ad on our local facebook classified page where a guy wanted to swap his dog for a mobile phone, it wasn't a joke and was so sad :( The selling and swapping of puppies and kittens got so out of hand on that page that admin ended up banning all ads for dogs and cats thank God.

Never had this question.

But I do get a lot of people who ask me if I want theirs! (Usually cos they are naughty, over energetic, nutters that I have admired for their cheeky devilishness [the dogs, not the owners]. :laugh: )

No, I've never been offered a swap for my dog. But then mine isn't as well-behaved as Scout sounds. Erm..more like the energetic nutter Dory has just described! :laugh:

I would assume anyone asking to swap like that is just kidding.

So would I.

Last year I saw an ad on our local facebook classified page where a guy wanted to swap his dog for a mobile phone, it wasn't a joke and was so sad :( The selling and swapping of puppies and kittens got so out of hand on that page that admin ended up banning all ads for dogs and cats thank God.

Yes, some of those Buy/swap/sell FB pages are a real eye-opener. :(

Anyway, quite clearly Scout is unswappable (sure, it's a word). Look at his gorgeous squishy face. :love:

Mmm well on the right day I might swap him for fresh air ( he is a bulldog with the associated flatulence) or any dog with manners. On another day wouldn't part with him for a gold mine!!

:laugh:

Never been asked to swap anything but people always want to take Stan home. When people stop to pat him he turns into the "love sponge" leaning on them or putting his head in their lap if they are sitting at cafes although whilst they are gushing over him he is actually eyeing off their lunch.

OT but I saw a bulldog down at the beach this morning, I've never seen one around here before but I think he is a mascot for the Central Coast Mariners soccer team who were training down there this morning...he was gorgeous!

Edited by stans mum

Mmm well on the right day I might swap him for fresh air ( he is a bulldog with the associated flatulence) or any dog with manners. On another day wouldn't part with him for a gold mine!!

Never been asked to swap anything but people always want to take Stan home. When people stop to pat him he turns into the "love sponge" leaning on them or putting his head in their lap if they are sitting at cafes although whilst they are gushing over him he is actually eyeing off their lunch.

Stan. The man with a plan.

There are times I'd happily swap Harper for anything - she's going through "that" age right now, and at 7 months and over 30kgs, I've often threatened her with "I'll take you to the pound"... she just looks at me as if to say "I dare you to"... cheeky monster!

All that said - I'd never swap any of my dogs for anything else...

T.

I frequently joke about dog swaps with people at the park, when my evil hound is lined up in front of them and their dog is lined up in front of me - cos someone else's treats are always better.

A few people have asked if they can take my dog (who is fawning all over them) home. Every now and again I give them the lead and suggest they try it. They don't get very far. She will stay with someone on lead waiting for me to come back but she won't go for a walk without me.

I do think she'd hop into anybody's car tho. She'd get quite upset if I didn't get in too.

I remember once I had a really cool pet guinea pig as a kid, you could take her for walks and tether her to trees to graze. A kid at school offered me his full lunch box as a trade. I said no because I didn't like ham sandwiches :rofl:

I'd consider swapping Baxter for Harper. Think it over :D

Warning: Baxter may or may not come with really annoying habits like, zooming around the house and breaking valuables, eating cat poo then licking the cat's butt, barking at 2am because he wants to come inside even though he woke you at 1 to go out, 12 to come in and 11 to go out, may shit under the lounge if it's raining, eats imaginary treats and gets angry if other dogs 'steal' them, likes to rub himself all over you and has stinky cat crap breath.

When Charlie was a puppy, a man offered to pay large sum of money for Charlie... scared the hell out of me because he was dead serious.

People do often ask me if they could have Skeeter but not to swap him for anything.. I feel a bit jipped now :o

I'd swap the stubborn, cranky old man hound for nearly anything! No one's offering though.... I think that's because they all know he's a stubborn, slightly cantankerous old man hound!! :laugh: