5 Months Old Puppy Dies During Simple Surgery

Pockets

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Sheridan, I just cant believe this has happened, everytime I think about it I start to get upset and then looking at his photo, such a regal and strong boy, who was adored by his family.

Eventually the pain heals, Harley will never be replaced or forgotten...

I am not sure, but need to know and understand, should a graduate vet, that only finished at the end of 2012, be doing surgeries unassisted or unsupervised by another more experienced vet?

Edited by Pockets

I am horrified by this story, it's disgusting and the vet practice needs to be held accountable. It reminds me of the negligence witnessed in Buddy's story recently :cry: When will people learn (people in the industry no less!!!) that dogs are living things?

Having said that, Pockets you are to be commended for following this up on Harley's owners behalf, and for offering them Tig. What a truly kind and caring breeder you are, thankyou.

Unfortunately this couple a few months before getting Harley, suffered the loss of a baby..so Harleys loss has been especially hard as he was like their baby :(

It was already heartbreaking, and this takes it to another level. You are so kind to let them care for Tig. Best of luck with this, sorry I can't offer any insight.

I know what it is like to lose a very cherished family member, as I said to him, he was not your pet, he was your family.

I will always fight for the ones I breed, I have always said to my puppy buyers, I love and raise these babies, I will always be "mum" and I will always love them and they will be in my heart no matter where they are. Its like losing one of the ones I have at home, I am feeling this loss also :(

I will wait to get a report from the vet, which they are sending to the owner, see what that says and then discuss with the Practice Manager, need all the facts before I say anything I will regret.

I will lodge a formal complaint with the Veterinary Board of Victoria once the information is gathered and we have spoken with the Vet, I do not want to go to court or anything for compensation, but I do feel the owners should at least be compensated for the cost of the cost and possibly his upkeep over the 3 months they had him for.

Its just so sad that we put trust in Veterinary Practices to do there best and a simple "innocent" mistake can cost a life, protocols and guidelines are set for a reason... :(

I had a 1 year old boy desexed today and when I went to pick him up I was told his heart rate slowed towards the end of his surgery...mmmm glad he was being monitered and his nurse noticed..Im very sorry for all involved loss :(

Our veterinary hospital has out the back staff and out the front staff. They have vets that are doing surgery and those that are consulting.

Did the have no monitoring equipment on him????

A pulse ox would go off if there was an issue and I think that is the one I hear beaping when the vets are doing surgery in time with the heart beat???

When I was working at our vets a new grad vet would have a nurse monitoring the GA the whole time plus an experienced vet who popped in very regularly and was only in the next room should there be an issue.

I am so sorry for your and Harley's family's losses. You are a very compassionate and considerate person to offer them Tig

Edited by OSoSwift

I have just come back from our visit with the family, took Tig (Harley's brother) for introductions, he was very at home there and was happy giving kisses and cuddles and playing "paws"

It's official Harley's owners will take Tig and welcome him as a loved family member.

We are waiting for the vets written report and will go from there....this is far from over

It is only something small I could do for them, he will never fill the hole, but I know he will help then heal :)

It will break my heart to let him go, I am not looking forward to it at all, but I know the pain of losing a family member and anything I can do to ease that pain is a good thing :)

They are only 10 minutes away and are going to go to the same obedience club, so at least I still get to see him regularly :)

Pockets I can't say anything practical to help as I don't have any experience with these things. I am very sorry for the family and for you at the loss of one of "yours". I just wanted to say I think what you are doing is completely amazing. Whilst I am sure you are right and nothing will ever fill the hole left by your beautiful boy, your generosity, compassion, and very practical help will surely set them on the road to healing. Bless you.

Sorry, slightly OT, but does anyone know the maximum time after death that an autopsy can be performed?

I think an autopsy has to be done pretty much straight away. I had a dog die overnight at a vet and when I asked for an autopsy the next day they said it would be off little benefit as the body had gone into rigor mortis. I insisted on one anyhow but it didn't explain anything.

It is a very unfortunate result from something that seemed so simple.

Unfortunately anaesthetics are unpredictable. How individuals respond to anaesthetics is also unpredictable.

To suture a cut is NOT a sterile surgery so they have not really breached that rule and Harley was not left unattended - there was a trained vet with him.

If any vet was with an animal that started to go downhill during a stitch up, they would certainly call out for assistance OR stop stitching and start helping the animal. They can always rescrub later, if it was a sterile procedure (which this is not).

I worked in vets for 10 years and I think we had 2 deaths under anaesthetic in this time. Unfortunately an anaesthetic reaction is usually simply the heart stops, there is not usually a warning and it happens even if a nurse is standing there. Staff are affected by this too, don't think they are blase about it. They will also feel bad that an animal died whilst in their care.

I remember we had 2 staffy's to desex, litter mates. First one routine all perfect. Second one, anaesthetic given, clipped, placed in surgery room, heart stopped. We gave adrenalin, CPR, everything was tried but nothing worked. This was with monitors and all.. It happens.

It is terribly sad and sometimes there is no reason, nothing that could have been done differently.

Sorry for your loss and for the owners of Harley and I hope they can recover from the experience