Familys Horror Day Out

tlc

My mum told me about this story she had seen on the TV, she said it was so heart breaking she couldn't watch the whole thing. I googled to find out what happened.

The families Husky was Shot while they let it out of the car for a pit stop. It hard to imagine that a car could just drive along, stop people get out and shoot what they "thought" was a wild dog then just drive off. What kind of person does that?! :cry:

I feel so awful for the family and especially the little boy.

Story here

I hope this hasn't already been bought to light, if it has I never seen it.

I quite often go on long road trips with all four of mine and have to stop for pit stops along the way. I am always vigilant especially with having 4 to watch but never let them off lead unless it is an off leash area.

The whole thing makes me shudder!

The shooters got off scott free. :(

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't find it ..... it was called something like "how low can they go " ... I think.

It's mentioned in the thread Perse mentions above, which is in OT, but the original thread was about a different incident.

What I don't get is who lets their dog out on the side of the road OFF LEASH and allows it to wander off????

No, it doesn't justify the dog being shot but frankly when I started reading the story I thought it was going to end with the dog being run over and the car driving off.

hard to imagine that a car could just drive along, stop people get out and shoot what they "thought" was a wild dog then just drive off. What kind of person does that?!

amongst others, people who are heartily sick of seeing the damage feral dogs are doing to their livestock, and to local wildlife .....

What I don't get is who lets their dog out on the side of the road OFF LEASH and allows it to wander off????

I read the FB post a couple of days ago, and thought the exact same thing....very sad lesson :(

They now have a FB page set up, to keep people updated

Justice for PEPPA

Rural area, loose dog. That's never going to end well. The last line of the article sums it up - dogs should be ON LEASH!

And as much as it is a horrible thing to have happened, the shooters IMO haven't done anything illegal so why should they be "punished". Yep they made a terrible mistake, but it's perfectly a understandable mistake and the family made a terrible mistake too letting their dog roam around unsupervised.

If the little boy had been right beside the dog somehow I doubt they would have still shot the dog - I really don't believe there's that many nut-jobs out there.

Rural area, loose dog. That's never going to end well. The last line of the article sums it up - dogs should be ON LEASH!

And as much as it is a horrible thing to have happened, the shooters IMO haven't done anything illegal so why should they be "punished".

Isn't discharging a gun right next to a road illegal? If it isn't, it should be!

The dog probably would have bolted off one day if they continued letting it off.

I don't think it was right either to shoot a dog just because they assumed it was a stray, such a young Husky wold easily find a home if it were in a pound.

A really sad situation though I hope next time the family get a dog they be a bit more cautious, especially with a breed that shouldn't be off lead. I guess this is a good reminder to the public that things can happen when you make irresponsible decisions, how do you know "Things will be okay"?

And as much as it is a horrible thing to have happened, the shooters IMO haven't done anything illegal so why should they be "punished".

Isn't discharging a gun right next to a road illegal? If it isn't, it should be!

Yes, you are not permitted to discharge a firearm in a public area. Also, when travelling with firearms in your car, guns must be kept in gun bags completely clear and bullets must be kept in a seperate container that is locked. Not complying with either of these is a breach of firearms laws and would most likely end up with license and firearms being seized. If it happened as quickly as the owners are claiming there is no way the shooter could have got the gun out the bag, unlocked the ammo container, loaded the gun and shot.

Sad that it is happened but as others have said- a dog off lead in a rural area is not going to be a good mix.

Edited by BlueyLove

The shooter was an arsehole, but the family made a terrible mistake and learnt a painful lesson. :(

I have also had the page pop up on my wall and going by what I have read on it, I doubt they have learnt any lesson at all. They blame nobody but the shooter, certainly not themselves for the dog being not only off leash but also out of sight. I also expected that the dog had been run over the first time I read an account of the events and it wouldn't be the first time, either.

Plenty of people seem to have no concerns at all about letting their dogs roam around off leash and even out of view. When bad things happen, it is somebody else's fault.

Obviously I do not condone the dog being shot from the side of the road, which is illegal but if I found any dog, regardless of breed, on my own property, I would also shoot it, where it was safe to do so. I have made the experience that if you chase them off they will return later to finish the job of killing my poultry and by the time a ranger arrives to impound the dog it tends to be long gone anyway.

Best to keep your dog on leash unless you are on your own property or in a designated off leash area.

People going on about a husky looking nothing like a "wild dog" seem to be unaware of the issues rural areas face regarding feral dogs that can be of any breed or x breed and truly their appearance has nothing to do with their ability to kill stock, as long as they are over a certain size. Same with the comments regarding it being "only a puppy" and "perfectly rehomable". From a distance, you cannot always judge a dog's age and a seven month old husky would be of a reasonable size. I have yet to meet a farmer who goes out of his way to try and rehome what appears to be a feral dog, growing up without human contact makes them less than desirable or manageable as pets.

Ms Grant said she heard a vehicle pull over about 100 metres down the road over the crest of the hill, at which point, Peppa took off in the direction of the car.

The dog could also have been run over, etc...

A very hard lesson to learn about not letting your dog run loose... I feel sorry for the family (especially the little boy), but they really need to own up to having some responsibility for not keeping their own dog safe and under effective control in a public space.

T.

The level of ignorance on the FB page about the reality of unrestrained, unsupervised dogs in the country is pretty apalling.

Who cares if it was obvious the dog was a purebred Husky. All breeds of dog are capable of being stock killers.

Shooting it on a public road was illegal but.... the dog shouldn't have been left at such risk - even just from cars.